The Rise of Skywalker Star Wars IX Box Office Thread

I'm personally not prepared to go there in terms of the quality of the film in relation to popularity in terms of worldwide audiences. I really do think that the MCU being fresher and made for a new generation has more to do with the MCU potentially being more popular than SW at the moment.

SW is still a popular property to be sure, but it is old, much like Bond is old , Superman is Old and Batman is old. That doesn't mean that they're aren't devoted fans and people world wide who enjoy it and considered it iconic . It was groundbreaking in its time and lay the ground work for big blockbuster film-making , in the past.

Today Feige and Marvel Studios have achieved a new paradigm and created a new standard which will influences young filmmakers and producers in the years to come; much in the way Lucas and Lucasfilm did before them.

Star wars was old when tfa came out and the mcu was young. Tfa still made $500m more at the box office than avengers. Honestly just think that many people maybe the younger generation just didn't enjoy the films that much. I think if they had enjoyed it more we'd be talking star wars possibly beating endgame at the bo. Which i can't see at the moment.

Star Wars to 'young people' is just a thing. It holds none of the love and devotion that it does for my generation and those as youngsters at the time that TPM came out. the MCU for them, is their Star Wars. SW box office, these days is built on die-hard's like me, who would pay $$ to go see C3-PO open a pencil case on screen.

Star Wars to 'young people' is just a thing. It holds none of the love and devotion that it does for my generation and those as youngsters at the time that TPM came out. the MCU for them, is their Star Wars. SW box office, these days is built on die-hard's like me, who would pay $$ to go see C3-PO open a pencil case on screen.

The reason that it holds such love for the older generation was because the first two films were amazing. Nothing we'd really seen before that blew our minds.

Star Wars skews whiter (I hypothesize because older - the younger the generation the less white) domestically than the audience for many superhero movies.

jzMpz1S.png

percentage values in table may not sum to 100 percent due to rounding

* MPAA Reports: "Comscore/Screen Engine's 'PostTrak' collects domestic survey data for all films in release in at least 800 theaters, which links box office grosses to gender and ethnicity of attendees. The surveys are conducted during the first two weeks of a film's wide release."

G1rcZn8.png

Sources: Screendaily - Solo: A Star Wars Story, MPAA 2018, MPAA 2017, MPAA 2016, MPAA 2015, MPAA 2014, MPAA 2013

TFA making 124M in China is the difference maker. Endgame is poised to make close to 650M there. If Star Wars had the same popularity in China it would be the box office king.

Star wars was old when tfa came out and the mcu was young. Tfa still made $500m more at the box office than avengers. Honestly just think that many people maybe the younger generation just didn't enjoy the films that much. I think if they had enjoyed it more we'd be talking star wars possibly beating endgame at the bo. Which i can't see at the moment.

Star Wars never really clicked in the chinese market. That is really what it is. Domestically, we will see where Rise of Skywalker ends up.

Star Wars never really clicked in the chinese market. That is really what it is. Domestically, we will see where Rise of Skywalker ends up.

A lot of the International Markets apparently never got The Original Trilogy so none of them have an attachment to Star Wars like the Domestic audience. But we do know that the International Markets love their CGI Action Fests so that might explain partly why The Sequel Trilogy has been rejected Internationally. But the Domestic audience is also very sensitive & will turn on a franchise at any given moment. So we will see how ROTS does come December

With Endgame deflating like a popped balloon at the box office, with thick, stumpy, ugly legs, I really think ROTS has a chance at defeating Endgame at the domestic box office.

With Endgame deflating like a popped balloon at the box office, with thick, stumpy, ugly legs, I really think ROTS has a chance at defeating Endgame at the domestic box office.

While I couldn't predict how Episode IX will do compared to Endgame, I do very much like that description, if just for finding it humorous.

This will easily cross a billion just fine. People are seriously underestimating the hype for this movie. The teaser alone created a ton, and watch when that theatrical trailer drops. The internets gonna explode.

Do people actually think the ending to this 42 year saga is gonna score any less than a billion?? really?

It'll certainly be interesting to see what effect TLJ has had on the brand. Solo was such a dense thicket of turn-offs that I can't judge based on that alone.

With JJ Abrams back, I think this beating Endgame domestically is a done deal. It may not touch TFA, but Endgame? Why not?

I'd be shocked if it beat Endgame . It'll be one of the biggest money makers this year to be sure , but beating something like Endgame? I don't think so.

While I don't think it'll beat endgame, it's still gonna be massive. Easily the second highest grossing film of 2019 by far. I wouldn't be surprised if it does force awakens numbers

I hope it's big, but I'd be surprised if it got anywhere near TFA's domestic numbers at least. WW, probably.

You guys are being a little bit ignorant here. No matter how you slice it I imagine that Disney is nervous with this one. The merchandise sales have not got any better & theres no interest in Galaxys Edge in California. If things go bad in Orlando with Galaxys Edge that will make Disney extremely nervous. Now Im not saying Episode 9 will fail but under performing might be a real possibility. Especially with Jumanji getting a head start & the word of mouth out first. If Galaxy Edge fails in Orlando that clearly says people are not interested in this trilogy

Can you really compare merch sales this early when nothing for RTOS is even out yet?

They cant even sell a theme park based entirely on the sequel trilogy
Without the familiar faces. Galaxy's Edge is based around a completely new planet for the time being. They haven't even opened the part that is going to deal with the Resistance and First Order yet, IIRC. I think that's a bigger factor than people being pissy over TLJ.

Without the familiar faces. Galaxy's Edge is based around a completely new planet for the time being. They haven't even opened the part that is going to deal with the Resistance and First Order yet, IIRC. I think that's a bigger factor than people being pissy over TLJ.

Time will tell & they are replacing Kylo with Vader in Orlando for various things

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"