Star Wars: The Old Republic - Part 1

SWTOR explains how Uprisings work, compensates for removal of content passes

October 28, 2016 56 Comments

When Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Eternal Throne lands upon us like a Star Destroyer made out of words, players will have a brand-new type of group content to experience: Uprisings.

Uprisings are four-player instances that are designed to be faster-paced and more customizable than operations and flashpoints. In them, players frantically fight through waves of mobs, selecting difficulty modes and picking up power-ups to keep things interesting.

Speaking of the expansion, you might recall that BioWare recently is removing several types of weekly passes to instanced content from the game’s Cartel Market. The studio discussed yesterday how it will be compensating holders of these passes when the expansion launches. Basically, players will be refunded the full cartel coin cost of each pass.

Via: Massivelyop.com/

source: SWTOR, official forums via Dulfy

Star Wars: The Old Republic crafting is meant to gear up alts in Knights of the Eternal Throne

October 31, 2016 18 Comments

When Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Eternal Throne launches, we will all be very tired of typing out that lengthy title every time we want to talk about the game. We’ll also have an entirely new endgame, and that means a new process of gearing up and getting ready for difficult content or just getting better equipment to still progress at the level cap. But how will crafting fit into this? A recent post on the official forums goes into more detail about crafting, which is meant to serve as both a catch-up mechanism for alts and for players who fall behind.

Players will be able to craft gear equivalent to the first tier of endgame gear and slightly below each subsequent tier, but that gear will have no set bonus and not be modifiable. Crafters can, however, craft mods on par with that level of gear from plans received in Command Crates or by reverse-engineering existing mods. The crafted gear will never offer a set bonus, but it’s well within an acceptable boundary of performance with other gear, thus ensuring that crafters can help other players catch up with each new endgame goalpost.

Via: Massivelyop.com/
source: Official Site

Story And Repeatable Chapters

Posted Nov 06, 2016

Star Wars: The Old Republic | News | 7 Comments

Bioware developers were on hand during last week's Star Wars: The Old Republic livestream event in which they discussed a variety of topics related to Knights of the Eternal Throne expansion set to be released in December. Among other things the team spent time discussing Repeatable Chapters, Challenge Modes and Veteran Difficulty.
Read more

source: MMORPG.com

Star Wars: the Old Republic goes into detail on repeating story chapters

November 7, 2016 18 Comments

If you were looking forward to hearing about what was changing with combat and class balance in Star Wars: The Old Republic’s next expansion, you were sadly denied as that show was cancelled. Instead, we should be getting a post about that in the near future, and the developers showed off how Knights of the Eternal Throne’s replayable story missions will work. If you’re looking for the best way to earn Command XP without a group, this is it.

Story missions will have Story and Veteran difficulty at launch, and you’ll be able to replay any chapters from Knights of the Fallen Empire or Knights of the Eternal Throne. Veteran difficulty is balanced for mid-tier endgame gear and a reasonably advanced companion and is meant to provide a significant challenge for the solo player. You won’t be locked into completing the content at that difficulty if it proves too hard, though, as players can scale the difficulty down mid-run if needed; scaling it up, however, requires a restart. You can catch the full presentation just below or read through Dulfy’s summary of the content therein.
Read more

Also with

The major class changes coming in SWTOR’s Knights of the Eternal Throne

November 8, 2016 23 Comments

Play SWTOR for free
Another expansion for Star Wars: The Old Republic means another level cap bump and another set of adjustments for the various classes and their abilities. While the original plan included streaming all of this information, the designers have instead opted to post detailed breakdowns of all the class changes on the official site. In no particular order
  • Operatives and Scoundrels will be able to provide more AoE damage and reflect damage while losing cover-based sniping abilities; meanwhile, Gunslingers and Snipers will gain greater range for utility and lose their melee combat options.
  • Powertechs and Vanguards are remaining largely the same, although they’ll gain new range options and some better damage for pulling targets. Mercenaries and Commandos, by contrast, get a reflecting damage absorb shield and more defense options.
  • Sages and Sorcerers are now more mobile, while Shadows and Assassins are a bit less mobile.
  • Sentinels and Marauders are receiving small tweaks to reinforce their existing master-of-blades style. Juggernauts and Guardians can deal more damage at greater range and should feel more like Force-powered wrecking balls in melee combat.
You can check out all of the details on each individual class breakdown, which should be useful for players who are eager to see exactly how their favorite classes will be changing when the next update hits.

Via:Massivelyop.com/
source: Smuggler/Agent, Trooper/Bounty Hunter, Knight/Warrior, Consular/Inquisitor

Last edited:
The Stream Team: Conversing with SWTOR’s companions

November 9, 2016 1 Comment

The last time Massively OP’s Larry and MJ had a bonus companion stream, MJ ended up married! Could it happen again? Before she moves on into the Knights of the Fallen Empire expansion, MJ needs to have some serious chats with all of her companions. Who knows how these little tête-à-têtes will turn out. Tune in live at 2:00 p.m. as OPTV‘s infamous Stream Team brings you a special companion-based Choose My Alignment. What: Star Wars: The Old Republic
Who: Larry Everett & MJ Guthrie
When: 2:00 p.m. EST on Wednesday, November 9th, 2016
Read more

source: Massivelyop.com/

Two articles from the same place

Hands On with Knights of the Eternal Throne

Posted Nov 22, 2016

Star Wars: The Old Republic | Previews | 26 Comments

Star Wars: The Old Republic has been giving fans the chance to play out their own personal experiences in a galaxy far, far away for five years. But many fans have wondered where their paths were leading them and how they fit into the grand scheme of BioWare's MMO.Read More

Also with

Knights of the Eternal Throne Interview with Charles Boyd

Posted Nov 22, 2016

Star Wars: The Old Republic | Videos | 4 Comments

Star Wars: The Old Republic Creative Dir. Charles Boyd talks about the new features and story points behind the game's latest expansion, Knights of the Eternal Throne.Read more

source: MMORPG.com

The Stream Team: Getting chummy with SWTOR’s SCORPIO companion

November 23, 2016 2 Comments

When SWTOR companions want to chat, they don’t just want to chat! Last time, Massively OP’s Larry and MJ were traveling about the galaxy to help Kaliyo with her little loose ends.
Now the pair needs to wrap that all up and turn their attention to SCORPIO. What interesting stories will come out of this companion’s life?
Join us live at 2:00 p.m. and help decide MJ’s alignment as she takes a few more steps toward the KOTFE expansion. What: Star Wars: The Old Republic
When: 2:00 p.m. EST on Wednesday, November 23rd, 2016

Read more

Last edited:
SWTOR devs answer Knights of the Eternal Throne questions

November 25, 2016 15 Comments

Star Wars: The Old Republic’s next expansion is but a week away, so you best start preparing yourself for the next evolution of the MMO (it’s still an MMO, right?). A good start to your preparations would be to soak in all of the details of Knights of the Eternal Throne courtesy of a long developer Q&A livestream.

Dulfy has the highlights of the expansion details. Knights of the Eternal Throne will add five new levels and nine additional chapters to the game, which will be it until the next expansion.

The story was written by SWTOR veteran Drew Karpyshyn and will let players pilot a walker, go undercover as a mouse droid, and visit the brand-new planets of Iokath and Nathema.

There’s a lot more to the expansion, of course, including new character animations, the controversial galactic command system, and difficulty levels for each chapter. SWTOR’s fifth anniversary celebration is coming up in December as well, during which players will be able to buy some items for a single credit each.

If you’re the sort that would never settle for a mere recap, we’ve got the full hour livestream for you after the break!
Read more

Again, and as always, thanks for the info Zenith!

Again, and as always, thanks for the info Zenith!

youwelcome and thank you.

ok i have two articles from different places.

Dark & Light Achievements Wiped, Rewards Still Incoming

Posted Nov 29, 2016

Star Wars: The Old Republic | News | 1 Comment

The Star Wars: The Old Republic forum has an interesting thread with regard to the revelation that achievements from the recent Dark vs Light event have been wiped with today's head start for Knights of the Eternal Throne DLC.

According to a post by Community Manager Eric Musco, however, players can be reassured that all event rewards will be sent out on Friday as expected.

Read more

Also with

The Stream Team: Completing more SWTOR companion conversations

November 30, 2016 1 Comment

Her work with Kaliyo (finally) done, Massively OP’s MJ can talk to her remaining SWTOR companions in preparation for moving on to the Knights of the Fallen Empire expansion. But this time, she’s going solo!

That’s right — there’s no Larry to save her bacon (or interrupt cutscenes) when Dr. Lokin or Ensign Temple the pantsless get her in trouble.

But that’s OK, because you are still here to make those all-important alignment decisions for MJ. Join us live at 2:00 p.m. to help finish off these adventures so MJ can finally move on. What: Star Wars: The Old Republic
Who: MJ Guthrie
When: 2:00 p.m. EST on Wednesday, November 30th, 2016
Read more

source: MMORPG.com&Massivelyop.com/

SWTOR dev livestream tackles CXP issues, says team is ‘flexible’

December 9, 2016 25 Comments

Is it a good or bad sign when a developer livestream kicks off with the team using a bingo card to make fun of their own foibles? At least it indicates a measure of self-awareness, which isn’t a terrible thing.

In any case, yesterday the Star Wars: The Old Republic devs rocketed through a 38-minute livestream in which they discussed the recent expansion launch, plans for the future, and of course, the morass of pain and suffering that is Command XP. The team said that it is willing to be “flexible” on the galactic command system and will be slightly unnerfing the payout of gold mobs to be 2 CXP per kill while significantly increasing CXP for uprisings and flashpoints.

Players should be happy to hear that there are plans in the works to take away some of the RNG and allow characters to work toward specific pieces of gear.

Coming in the new year are five new uprisings, master mode chapters, master mode uprisings, and possible server merges. SWTOR is kicking off both its Life Day event and 5th anniversary on December 13th.
You can watch the full developer livestream after the break!
Read more

SWTOR welcomes Life Day and 5th anniversary celebration

December 13, 2016 8 Comments

Rushing out to see Rogue One this weekend? Not so fast: SWTOR is going to make a play for your attention and geek affections. The fun starts with today’s 5.0.1 update, which contains several fixes for the recent expansion, including a buff to flashpoint and uprising CXP gain.

The patch also marks the start of a small army of December in-game events. There’s the return of Life Day (throw those snowballs!), the Relics of the Gree event, a Rakghoul outbreak on Corellia, and a Bounty Contract week. Most of these overlap, so you’ll have your pick of extracurricular activities at any given time.

As if that wasn’t enough to keep an Outlander outlandishly busy, today

starts SWTOR’s 5th anniversary celebration. You can log in over the next month to claim some free rewards, including a Senya holostatue, a celebration Jawa, and more decor for your home.Read more

source: Patch notes, December events, 5th anniversary rewards via Dulfy

Well I know I'm loving my Wampa. :)

Hyperspace Beacon: Where can SWTOR go from here?

December 14, 2016 41 Comments

Have you ever watched a great movie and ever wished that the director would make a sequel but also not make a sequel, all at the same time? More often, we are usually begging for a sequel only to be disappointed by it. Star Wars had the exact opposite effect to on me. I thought the sequel was better than the original. However, when Return of the Jedi released, I can’t say that I was begging for a sequel to that. I’m not a fool; I wanted more Star Wars movies, but we hit the happily-ever-after moment. The story was done.

I won’t dive too far into the spoiler territory just yet, but it’s safe to say that with Knights of the Eternal Throne that the story for Star Wars: The Old Republic is done.
There have been some movies that wrapped up nicely that also did well when they received a sequel. The Terminator is the first example that comes to my mind. The sequel did just as well as the original, but that is rarer than the opposite happening. Although the Star Wars universe continued to turn with the books, when the creator went back to tell the beginning of the story, it fell flat. I have a fear that the same thing likely could happen to the story in SWTOR.
Read more

Last edited:
Three articles from the same place
Happy birthday, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and thanks for the trailer

December 20, 2016 26 Comments

[YT]MIUOieq4TLc[/YT]
Star Wars: The Old Republic is celebrating its fifth birthday this week, and to celebrate, Producer Ben Irving has penned a new dev blog thanking… you. In fact, BioWare has used thousands of your in-game screenshots to generate a celebratory portrait collage.

“As I look back on the past five years that have led me from launch crunch, to the reincarnation of Revan and on through the delivery of six expansions including notorious Hutts, the re-awakening of an evil Emperor and the introduction of the most evil family in Star Wars,” he writes, “I realize that there is one part of this journey that stands out for me above all others… the relationship I have with you, the fans.”

Irving also teases the fifth anniversary awards rolling out to the game. Oh yeah, and there’s a new trailer, dubbed Accolades. You can’t have a SWTOR day without a trailer!
Read more

Next up

Interview: BioWare devs reflect on five years of creating Star Wars: The Old Republic

December 20, 2016 21 Comments

I know that sometimes it’s hard to remember exactly what you were doing five years ago. I know that I had been playing Star Wars: The Old Republic for a couple of days attempting to level my character quickly, but at the same time, enjoying the game. I honestly don’t remember exactly what I was doing five years ago on this date, but there is probably video record of it someplace. Last week, I spoke to two people who know exactly where they were and what they were doing five years ago. I’m talking about Producer Ben Irving and Creative Director Charles Boyd.

Many of us think of these triple-A games as part of the giant corporate machine, and unfortunately, there is a part of the game industry that is that money-making monstrosity. However, when you look at a game like SWTOR, you see passionate people who really want to make a great Star Wars game. You find Irving and Boyd both were there when the game launched on this date five years ago: December 20th, 2011.
Read more

lastly
The Stream Team: Starting SWTOR’s KOTFE expansion

December 20, 2016 Leave a comment

[YT]sLytkPDgGYE[/YT]
They’ve finally made it! Just in time for SWTOR’s fifth anniversary, Massively OP’s Larry and MJ have gotten MJ’s Agent to the Knights of the Fallen Empire expansion. Things are going to be pretty different from here on out, but one thing won’t change — you still control the alignment choices! Will MJ be drawn deeper into the dark side, or will the light side pull her away? Join us live at 9:00 p.m. to decide her fate in this new story line and wish the game a happy birthday.

What: Star Wars: The Old Republic
When: 9:00 p.m. EST on Wednesday, December 20th, 2016
Read more

Star Wars: The Old Republic players pay tribute to Carrie Fisher

December 27, 2016 39 Comments

The loss of Carrie Fisher, a celebrated author and the actress who played General Leia Organa, is an enormous blow to Star Wars fans the world over. Star Wars: The Old Republic players count themselves in that number, and that’s why community members in the game have taken the initiative in organizing vigils and celebrations of the actress on Alderaan. User bericurra has cultivated a collection of screenshots of the gatherings, which cover the Organa castle and the planet of Alderaan; there is also a roundup of the many community events now taking place.
It even crosses fandoms, as the official Star Trek Online Twitter has offered condolences and appreciation.
Fisher suffered a cardiac arrest while on a plane from the UK; she was rushed to the hospital in intensive care, but passed away earlier today. She was 60 years old at the time of her passing. Her work as both an actress and an author has had a profound effect upon fans of many different shows and films, as well as people struggling with mental illness and addiction, and the Massively Overpowered staff as a whole joins in mourning the loss of this immensely talented, funny, warm, and intelligent woman.Read more

Star Wars: Rebels teases the recanonization of The Old Republic lore

January 24, 2017 51 Comments

Star Wars: The Old Republic is not canon. It was one of the many things caught in the Star Wars Expanded Universe purge, which helpfully took every Star Wars novel, comic, radio play, video game, and limited-edition narrative candy wrapper and made all of them non-canon. All that's canon is the stuff that appears in the films and the television shows, and everything else is wholly speculative, which means that canon loses an enormous amount of terrible fiction and a small amount of really good fiction. Except that now the Star Wars: Rebels series is teasing that Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic may, in fact, be canon after all.

An offhand mention in a recent episode discusses the Jedi fighting against the Mandalorians and the outcome of that war, which was a major point behind the setting of KOTOR (since Revan and Malak were heroes of that exact war) and hints that there may be some canonicity to those events after all. It's the sort of teasing at canon that Rebels has engaged in before now, with the Hammerhead corvette from both the show and Rogue One serving as a direct nod to the Hammerhead cruiser from KOTOR, but this is a more explicit reference. It's fun to speculate about for lore nerds, at least.Read more

source: io9

SWTOR brings out a new operation, story with Update 5.2

January 27, 2017 28 Comments

With the launch of Star Wars: The Old Republic's latest update, the community finds itself very content with the latest offerings and wants no more.

Just kidding; MMO players always are eager to hear what's coming up next for their favorite title, and here it is no different. Fortunately, BioWare was game to talk about Update 5.2 on its latest producer's livestream, and from the sound of it, the patch will be a major content drop for the game.

Update 5.2: The War for Iokath will bring much-needed group content to the game, including master mode uprisings and an operation to take on a deadly superweapon. All players will get to travel to Iokath, where they will get to go through a new storyline with a choice of factions. There will also be a new daily area and the return of two long-lost companions. The patch is planned for some time in either March or April.

BioWare said that it is working on getting players geared up faster in the near future. You can give the livestream a watch after the break.
Read more

SWTOR's Tait Watson departs BioWare, trades Austin for SoCal

February 8, 2017 7 comments

Star Wars: The Old Republic Producer Tait Watson is leaving the company, according to his farewell post to forumgoers this morning.

"I haven’t been fired, and I haven’t been laid off," he says. "I am leaving BioWare to move to California." Specifically? San Diego.
"[E]ven though there have been rough times, I have never once dreaded coming into work. Not one time in the time I've worked here, and a huge part of that is all of you. Yes, you. If you have somehow come across these words on the internet, I am talking to you. You are the beating heart that keeps this vibrant and unabashedly passionate community going, and for that you don't get enough credit. But I assure you, every single day people come into work and strive to show you just how important you are to us."
The greater San Diego area is home to many game studios, including MMORPG studios, Blizzard and Daybreak among them; his resume shows a former stint at Blizzard already, but he's thus far not talking about where he's headed.
Read more

source: SWTOR forums via Dulfy

SWTOR is adding another 100 galactic command levels to grind

February 27, 2017 21 comments

Remember all the hoopla and hate around Star Wars: The Old Republic's galactic command experience system last fall?
Remember how almost no one actually liked it because of the intense grind, and even those who tolerated it thought it was, as MOP's Larry Everett put it, "a complicated solution for an easy issue"?

Welp, get your grinding shoes back on because BioWare is doubling down.
Read more

SWTOR buffs CXP gains from operations, weekly missions, and flashpoints

March 1, 2017 10 comments

Now that there's another hundred joyous galactic command levels to grind out in Star Wars: The Old Republic, you may feel a little overwhelmed at the sorry state of your character. The good news in this regard is that BioWare has increased command XP gains from a variety of sources to help with reaching this new finish line.

Yesterday's Patch 5.1.2 saw across-the-board buffs to CXP rewards from operations, weekly missions, flashpoints, bosses, and minibosses.

A couple of areas, such as the turbolasers in the Directive 7 flashpoint, have had their CXP payout removed. Additionally, players should be aware that they'll no longer be able to buy CXP boosters prior to level 70 or use them if bolstered to 70.

Other notable adjustments with the patch include a 250% increase to Galactic Starfighter requisition, the ability to sit in one's own ship chairs again, and tighter restrictions for free-to-play chat "in order to help address third-party service advertisement spam."Read more

source: Patch notes

Star Wars Offers Fans a Platinum Light Saber for About $60

Posted Mar 08, 2017

Star Wars: The Old Republic | News | 49 Comments

Star Wars: The Old Republic is offering a special light saber to players at the cost of 7600 Cartel Coins for this week only. Running from 3/7 to 3/14 the platinum items is geared towards players who can afford it according to EA.Read more

Also with

The Stream Team: Senya's secret is out in SWTOR

March 8, 2017 Leave a comment

Massively OP's MJ has made it through the trials, and now SWTOR's Scions of Zakuul have agreed to help her and Larry as they work against Arcann. MJ also learned a secret about Senya. What will MJ's Chiss do about this revelation? That all depends on which way the Choose my alignment votes go. Join us live at 2:00 p.m. to sway the vote as Larry and MJ move forward with their plans to dethrone Arcann. What: Star Wars: The Old Republic
When: 2:00 p.m. EST on Wednesday, March 8th, 2017
Enjoy the show!
Read more

source: MMORPG.com&Massivelyop.com/

Last edited:
The Stream Team: Looking for SWTOR's Lady of Sorrows

March 22, 2017 Leave a comment

[YT]yN-tay-m4zA[/YT]
SWTOR CMA with Larry & MJ: Looking for the Lady of Sorrows

• 27 views10 hours ago

Senya went off to do some "work," leaving Massively OP's MJ and Larry to skulk about SWTOR's Old World of Zakuul to learn more about the planet as well as search for the Lady of Sorrows. What information will they dig up on the surveillance feeds? What more can MJ's Agent learn about the Emperor as he continues his attempts to goad her into using his dark powers? Many questions depend on the choices you, the viewer, make. We call this Choose My Alignment for a reason! Join us live at 2:00 p.m. to have your chance at swaying the vote as MJ and Larry walk deeper into the dangerous underbelly of Zakuul. What: Star Wars: The Old Republic
When: 2:00 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, March 22nd, 2017
Read more

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee