State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hannibal lost it's way in season 3.

STID is hot garbage and is a good representation of Abrams' worst sensibilities and when you can't hide from them.

And then in STID, Abrams somehow manages to rip off/remake Wrath of Khan and his own previous Star Trek movie, and the result is utter crap.

It wasn't until just before Star Trek Beyond came out I realized how little love Into Darkness gets. With that in mind, and in the spirit of this thread, I think it important to note that I really like Star Trek Into Darkness. Certainly a lot more than Beyond, which had more stink than good stuff in my eyes.

I don't think I ever posted in here about my thoughts on Suicide Squad, so here goes...

As imperfect and flawed as the film was, with very questionable editing and an all-around basic threat/big bad at the center of the movie, I think some of the critical response I've seen to the film is the absolute peak of hyperbole and, honestly, makes it a little hard for me to dismiss the idea that certain critics have it out for DC. Just felt a little too much like a pile-on or a race to one-up one another with the biggest slam they could think of.

I loved Hannibal's first two seasons, but I thought the last season went pretty off the rails.

I don't think I ever posted in here about my thoughts on Suicide Squad, so here goes...

As imperfect and flawed as the film was, with very questionable editing and an all-around basic threat/big bad at the center of the movie, I think some of the critical response I've seen to the film is the absolute peak of hyperbole and, honestly, makes it a little hard for me to dismiss the idea that certain critics have it out for DC. Just felt a little too much like a pile-on or a race to one-up one another with the biggest slam they could think of.
I think that has to do with the the hype and it being pushed as the upcoming "savior" of the DCEU after the BvS debacle, and so when it wasn't, the result was a sort of knee-jerk reaction in which they doubled-down on the BvS criticisms in a "once more, with feeling" kind of way.

Suicide Squad is pretty flawed, but it's a lot more enjoyable than BvS. That movie was just not entertaining at all. I wanted it to be over.

I loved Hannibal's first two seasons, but I thought the last season went pretty off the rails.

Not gonna lie even before it got cancelled I was thinking the same thing. With that and I also got busy so I couldn't keep up but I still havent finished it.

THink I'll binge it all sometime because it was/is a very cool show
Suicide Squad is pretty flawed, but it's a lot more enjoyable than BvS. That movie was just not entertaining at all. I wanted it to be over.

I agree. Although I thought SS was pretty bad too. Not horrible but I wouldnt watch it again.

Going along with the DC/WB unpopular opinions
-I don't think Wonder Woman looks that good. The trailer other than some of the battle scenes didn't wow me. Gadot doesn't seem to be a good actress. The whole "where I'm from it's called slavery" just came off so corny with her reading. I mean it's an obvious joke but I think a better actress couldve pulled it off. I didn't even like Wonder Woman in BvS. I'm still so surprised everyone praised her when she literally had 5 minutes of screentime in costume and didn't do much other than hack and slash.
Really hope I'm wrong though.

I think the thing that pisses me off the most about Suicide Squad is the level of missed opportunity going into making the film. It could've been such a subversion of CBM convention and the norms of the genre, but instead the whole thing was literally damn near every superhero movie we've seen, just with minor villains in the role of the heroes. And the whole "Bad vs. Evil" thing Ayer kept touting fell flat, because the evil sucked.

Same way I felt after I saw the movie. Obviously I don't think critics are out to automatically give bad reviews to DC films but it seems some critics might be expecting too much from these films. I enjoyed it for what it was but I also came in with low expectations after BvS and the critic reviews. If i came in with high expectations I probably would have left the theater disapointed.

Either here or on Twitter, someone mentioned a better story being The Joker and Harley going on a cross-country crime spree with the Squad hot on their heels. That's probably something I would've been a lot more into, both for actually giving Leto's Joker some meaningful content and for the whole of the action to not just be "Oh look, they're fighting the guys that look like blackberries!... Oh look, there's more blackberry heads for them to fight! Are we clear now? Is that enough of the-- OH ****, THERE'S MORE BLACKBERRY HEADS!!!"

If there's a sequel, and with the amount of money they've made, I think they've afforded themselves that opportunity, I really hope they go smaller scale.

Either here or on Twitter, someone mentioned a better story being The Joker and Harley going on a cross-country crime spree with the Squad hot on their heels. That's probably something I would've been a lot more into, both for actually giving Leto's Joker some meaningful content and for the whole of the action to not just be "Oh look, they're fighting the guys that look like blackberries!... Oh look, there's more blackberry heads for them to fight! Are we clear now? Is that enough of the-- OH ****, THERE'S MORE BLACKBERRY HEADS!!!"

If there's a sequel, and with the amount of money they've made, I think they've afforded themselves that opportunity, I really hope they go smaller scale.

That acutually sounds awesome

LOL... the blackberry zombies looked so f***ing stupid too. They just looked like guys breathing really hard with wet T-shirts wrapped around their heads.

Last edited:
Also they seemed even more fragile than when they were people. Just a good kick or swing with a baseball bat and they shattered. Not ideal for minions.

Shanghai Noon is a cringeworthy movie that could not be saved by the charm of Jackie Chan or Owen Wilson, Shanghai Knights gave me more laughs and joy.
It's one time for me to enjoy a movie sequel when I didn't like the first.

-I don't think Wonder Woman looks that good. The trailer other than some of the battle scenes didn't wow me. Gadot doesn't seem to be a good actress. The whole "where I'm from it's called slavery" just came off so corny with her reading. I mean it's an obvious joke but I think a better actress couldve pulled it off. I didn't even like Wonder Woman in BvS. I'm still so surprised everyone praised her when she literally had 5 minutes of screentime in costume and didn't do much other than hack and slash.
Really hope I'm wrong though.

Same

I hated Spider-Man in Civil War, I couldn't possibly care less about Homecoming and I'm positive he'll detract from Infinity War.

Speaking of Infinity War, I found the action scenes in Civil War to be very repetitive, the shaky cam was annoying as heck and I thought that the Russos failed to properly display and differentiate the unique powers of some (most?) of their heroes. So much, in fact, that I'm now actually kind of worried about how they'll handle the superpowered characters in their next movie.

I'm really not looking forward to a Thor or a Captain Marvel who just punch people and slam them into walls (seriously, that happened a lot in CW :hehe:). Show some creativity, dammit.

Gadot doesn't seem to be a good actress.
I liked the trailer but I wish I could disagree with you on this. I hate feeling this way because she seems such a nice person and because we waited so long to finally see Wonder Woman on the big screen, but she really isn't doing it for me. I'll happily devour a entire flock of crows if I'm wrong, though.

There was shaky cam in Civil War?

I hated Spider-Man in Civil War, I couldn't possibly care less about Homecoming and I'm positive he'll detract from Infinity War.
I don't hate him as much as you do, but yeah, he's annoying in that movie, and I'd rather have the kid out of Infinity War.

Yes.
Not sure if joking, I gave a serious answer.

In the beginning yes, there was a lot of it. Thankfully as the movie progressed it eventually went away (don't know why but it did...), but still.

In the end what I disliked the most was how "grounded" the fight scenes felt... which is great for characters such as Captain America and Black Panther, but doesn't work as well for someone like Vision, Iron Man & War Machine and Scarlet Witch.

Say what you want about them, but the Avengers movies were a lot better in this regard... at least in my unpopular opinion.

Last edited:
Also they seemed even more fragile than when they were people. Just a good kick or swing with a baseball bat and they shattered. Not ideal for minions.

Yeah, that's one thing that's always annoyed me about cannon fodder bad guys in movies... so often they seem weaker than ordinary people. Like it From Dusk til Dawn, the vampires appear to be made of papier mache.

Yes.
Not sure if joking, I gave a serious answer.

In the beginning yes, there was a lot of it. Thankfully as the movie progressed it eventually went away (don't know why but it did...), but still.

I was genuinely asking, I saw Civil War twice in theaters and genuinely don't remember any shaky cam of note. Of course it must have been there, but I can't imagine it was too bad if I didn't even notice it -I hate shaky cam, have since Gladiator. Thankfully that stupid artistic choice seems to be dying a slow and ungraceful death.

The worst offender that I've seen recently was Star Trek Beyond. In the melee sequences the director chose to shove the camera what seemed like directly between the two actors on a Pogo-stick. What are you doing? It's Star Trek, not Jason Bourne.

A light semi-documentary style is okay, I think. But just whirling the camera around is a cheap and lazy gimmick that I sincerely hope chokes to death on it's own vomit sooner rather than later.

The worst offender that I've seen recently was Star Trek Beyond. In the melee sequences the director chose to shove the camera what seemed like directly between the two actors on a Pogo-stick. What are you doing? It's Star Trek, not Jason Bourne.
I've been mostly disappointed by movies this year, I'm guessing this will be no exception.
And the shaky cam scene sounds hurl inducing.

Star Trek Beyond on really had 1 major hand to hand scene and yeah it was pretty bad with the shaky cam.
I still loved Star Trek Beyond. I think it was the best film of the summer. Better than Civil War

I'm pretty sure there was more than one hand to hand scene, but my memory's almost as shaky as those cameras.

I liked parts of Star Trek Beyond, but overall it was kind of a letdown. In particular I thought the motorbike scene near the end didn't fit the film at all and was overly silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"