Stranger Things (Netflix) - Part 1

ST3 was a let down for many poeple and I don't see anyone complaining that season 4 is delayed because of covid, with Cobra Kai 3 being delayed, everyone was complaining.

Stranger Things is no longer what it was after the first season. Cobra Kai, on the other hand, is gaining popularity.

We clearly know different people. Everyone I know was blown away by Season 3 - including me (didn’t like Season 2).
And I don’t know anyone, who watches Cobra Kai (including me)

tenor.gif.725601c81bcc41f6901f640cd14fc9da.gif

Your loss.

In first and second season Stranger Things had story that take itself very seriously, have very emotional and often sad plot and exciting sci fi and horror elements. Who knows? Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't like the fact that Stranger Things has become a parody about how teenagers infiltrate a Russian spy base under a shopping mall.

Last edited:
I loved the first and second season.

Three... Was much, much more of a mixed bag and yeah... A big part of that for me was that suddenly there was a lack of subtley all around and the "kitsch" factor was turned up to 11 in a way I actually found obnoxious at times and yes, despite all the fantasy elements they jumped the shark in terms of believable events and history when the Russians had a ****ing secret base in the middle of town and when for no reason other than empty nostalgia they had Dustin sing "Never Ending Story".

I was very entertained by a lot of stuff in season 3 but it was very mixed for me.

ST3 was a let down for many poeple and I don't see anyone complaining that season 4 is delayed because of covid, with Cobra Kai 3 being delayed, everyone was complaining.

Stranger Things is no longer what it was after the first season. Cobra Kai, on the other hand, is gaining popularity.

I think you're projecting a bit there. I love Cobra Kai, but there are few ongoing shows in the world right now that are as popular as Stranger Things, even with the protracted gaps between seasons.

‘Black Widow’ Star David Harbour Loves Being a Big-Screen Loser

What are you permitted to say about the new season of “Stranger Things”?

Ugh. I want to tell you something. I have my prepackaged answer, which is true, that it’s a super-exciting season. It’s gone to a whole other place. It started out, in Season 1, with this small-town police chief, and now it’s become this sprawling thing with a Russian prison and a monster. The brothers [series creators Matt and Ross Duffer] are big into video games, manga and anime, and we definitely play on that this season. We talked about “The Great Escape” and “Alien 3” as influences. In terms of Hopper, you get to see a lot of back story that you haven’t seen before, it’s only been hinted at. As opposed to this dad he’s become, eating chips and salsa and yelling at his teenage daughter, you’ll unearth some more of the warrior that he had been.

tenor.gif.725601c81bcc41f6901f640cd14fc9da.gif

Your loss.

In first and second season Stranger Things had story that take itself very seriously, have very emotional and often sad plot and exciting sci fi and horror elements. Who knows? Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't like the fact that Stranger Things has become a parody about how teenagers infiltrate a Russian spy base under a shopping mall.
I loved the first and second season.

Three... Was much, much more of a mixed bag and yeah... A big part of that for me was that suddenly there was a lack of subtley all around and the "kitsch" factor was turned up to 11 in a way I actually found obnoxious at times and yes, despite all the fantasy elements they jumped the shark in terms of believable events and history when the Russians had a ****ing secret base in the middle of town and when for no reason other than empty nostalgia they had Dustin sing "Never Ending Story".

I was very entertained by a lot of stuff in season 3 but it was very mixed for me.
zfNagQt.gif

Maya was a very, very bright spot and the relationship with her character and Steve is one thing I absolutely want to see more of. Steve showed a lot of growth and him being able to be best buds with this girl finding her sexuality in a time WAY different than now will be delightful and heartbreaking no doubt...

Now... Lucas' sister, the Russian Base under the mall, singing Never Ending Story for empty nostalgia points?

Sorry...

T8rR8yE.jpg

This was the season that the "It's only just a Remember The 80's Fest" criticism rang truest to me.

But... I would watch the hell out of HOPPER, P.I. if it were a series.

I rather like season 1. I can get through season 2. I adore season 3. It's just more potent, more realized, more everything for me. It made me fall in love with Steve, care about the Red Ranger, finally gave me the ship I waited years for, and Alexi existed. And then there is Robin. Robin is life.

The first two seasons take place in 80s and they didn't make a big deal out of it, it was all about the story. The third season is a overstyled, romanticized look at 80s.

We're being chased by the show's main antagonist but NEVErENDING STORYYYYY! ok ... ok, cool, joke, ok... NEVERENDING STORYYYYY! Ok. I get the joke, it's really enough... NEVERENDING STORYYYYY! Wow, they still keep it going.

I would like them to incorporate more naturalistic dialog and be more introspective, quieter and not as huge in scale, similar to season 1. I hope it can go back to that style and feel.

i also hope they can gently incorporate passing gas very naturally during conversations and tough action scenes. Show them to be just regular humans who converse and act naturally

This S3 vs. the first two debate is making me realize that all the seasons have totally blurred together in my brain, and I can't even tell them apart. I enjoy this show when I watch it, but something about it just always fails to stick with me for long.

The first two seasons take place in 80s and they didn't make a big deal out of it, it was all about the story. The third season is a overstyled, romanticized look at 80s.

We're being chased by the show's main antagonist but NEVErENDING STORYYYYY! ok ... ok, cool, joke, ok... NEVERENDING STORYYYYY! Ok. I get the joke, it's really enough... NEVERENDING STORYYYYY! Wow, they still keep it going.
This just isn't true. The 80s is emphasized every bit in season 1 and season 2. The biggest difference is the aspect of the 80s. But to argue that a season that had the kids dressed up as the Ghostbusters and featured an entire episode based around a subculture of teens from the 80s, isn't making a big deal of the 80s? That's so obviously not true.

Why even bring up the Neverending Story bit? The point of the scene, was the eccentric puppy dog nature of Dustin's relationship with his first girlfriend, he met at a super geeky camp. If they show was set in the 90s they would have done the same thing, just with 90s icongraphy. Same with any other decade.

Also it is incredibly ironic to complain about a show not being grounded enough, while pushing flippin Cobra Kai in the same thread. Where the police and parents down exist, and the Vietnam War took place in the garden section of your local hardware store. :funny:

This S3 vs. the first two debate is making me realize that all the seasons have totally blurred together in my brain, and I can't even tell them apart. I enjoy this show when I watch it, but something about it just always fails to stick with me for long.
Season 3, is the one based around the Mall and 4th of July. The easiest way to place it imo.

This just isn't true. The 80s is emphasized every bit in season 1 and season 2. The biggest difference is the aspect of the 80s. But to argue that a season that had the kids dressed up as the Ghostbusters and featured an entire episode based around a subculture of teens from the 80s, isn't making a big deal of the 80s? That's so obviously not true.

Why even bring up the Neverending Story bit? The point of the scene, was the eccentric puppy dog nature of Dustin's relationship with his first girlfriend, he met at a super geeky camp. If they show was set in the 90s they would have done the same thing, just with 90s icongraphy. Same with any other decade.

Also it is incredibly ironic to complain about a show not being grounded enough, while pushing flippin Cobra Kai in the same thread. Where the police and parents down exist, and the Vietnam War took place in the garden section of your local hardware store. :funny:

Yeah, I will freely admit, there’s some ridiculous stuff in Cobra Kai season 3. Despite that, overall, I still love it because it takes place in a world that completely embraces the cheesiness of old 80’s action and coming-of-age film tropes, while also wearing its heart on its sleeve and having fairly engaging characters. Sometimes, from the perspective of a teenager, high school can feel more emotionally heightened than it actually is. They just made that drama literal within the show and threw in martial arts.

As for Stranger Things season 3, for the few faults I have with it, such as some of the underground Russian base hijinks and Hopper’s somewhat over-the-top buffoonery, I still love and enjoy it quite a bit. Like you said with Cobra Kai, it also has a bunch similar 80’s cheesiness, even if it takes a different tone and approach.

So, if one show is to be reprimanded, the other one should be, too, because they’re both operating on a similar level. You can’t criticize the Neverending Story scene in Stranger Things 3 and then praise Cobra Kai 3, which is filled to the brim with 80’s hair metal and love ballads, and has the two main characters in one episode going to a Dee Snider concert. :funny:

I mean, c’mon. At the very least, if you can’t think of a legitimate reason, just say you don’t like Stranger Things 3 and leave it at that, and don’t try to perform mental gymnastics to come up with some ridiculous excuse to tear it down to put the thing you love up on a pedestal.

tenor.gif

I didn’t watch this till a month after it premiered on Netflix and people we’re giving it all kinda praise. I was like why the hell are people raving about this show and then I watched.

I got the hype. I’d say season 1-2 are tied for me and season 3 definitely the best.

Last edited:

1. The most 80s scene in the first season is two brothers listening to The Clash.

2. I mentioned Cobra Kai in terms of popularity, not style, because Cobra Kai is by nature an action comedy, not a drama like Stranger Things. Duh

1. The most 80s scene in the first season is two brothers listening to The Clash.

2. I mentioned Cobra Kai in terms of popularity, not style, because Cobra Kai is by nature an action comedy, not a drama like Stranger Things. Duh
How much do you know about the 80s? Are you just going to ignore every reference to the 80s movies in the show?

Stranger Things is no more a drama ET, It, or the Goonies. It's a coming of age action sci-fi/fantasy adventure tale. Like all the stories that "influenced" it's creation. Where in the world did you get the idea that Stranger Things was the English Patient?

Last edited:
The references can be subtle or they can be obnoxious and straight to your face. That's the problem.

For me Stranger Things is horror drama. Season 3 was action comedy with too many pop culture references.

Last edited:
A show inspired by the Goonies, Ghostbusters, E.T.,... ain’t a horror drama. Now who saw that coming....

Well, there’s lots of inspiration and it’s never just one thing. While it definitely draws from E.T, Goonies, those Amblin movies, it also draws from Aliens, Terminator, Stephen King, early David Cronenberg.

They’re fun, most importantly, just like all of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"