Supergirl Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ It's happening whether you can "see" it or not. :)

But… Nina Tassler (chairman of CBS Entertainment) said: “Well, those two shows [The Flash and Arrow] are on a different network. So I think we'll keep Supergirl to ourselves for awhile.”

I suspect the Supergirl producers will keep their options open regarding possible crossovers. But it doesn’t sound like establishing a shared universe (beyond mention of Superman) is an immediate priority.

^ That comment is basically another version of the comments that Greg Berlanti himself made at the TCWs one day earlier.

Supergirl can be set in the "Flarrow"-verse without actively crossing over with its companion series, and once everybody involved feels like SG has established its own identity and can stand on its own, crossovers can then be discussed (especially since The Hollywood Reporter confirmed months ago that Berlanti had written it into his Supergirl contract that he be eventually allowed to do crossovers between SG and the other Flarrow-verse shows).

Supergirl can be set in the "Flarrow"-verse without actively crossing over with its companion series...

Yes, technically; and I can see Supergirl making occasional, cutesy/Easter egg-y references to a “vigilante archer” or a “speedster.” So in that sense, a shared universe is “confirmed.” But if folks are expecting crossovers to occur with the same regularity as now happens betwixt Arrow and Flash, methinks they’ll be disappointed.

Direct mentions/references like that aren't Easter Eggs.

I appreciate your stringently precise definition. :cool: But in casual usage, “Easter egg” is a subtle reference (verbal or visual) to some extra/meta-textual detail that’s only noticed and appreciated by discerning fans. Thus, for example, the Wayne Enterprises logo seen in Man of Steel is called an “Easter egg.” And (back on topic) this is the sort of playful allusion that Supergirl may, likewise, indulge in.

Even by that casual definition, direct references like the ones you mentioned aren't Easter Eggs. They're explicit world-building connections.

Odd that it's airing opposite Gotham. I understand CBS couldn't care less about what Fox is doing, but considering the DC aspects, you'd think potentially cannibalizing (either way) the audience would be guarded against.

FOX should move Gotham to 9pm, allow it to be a little darker.

Seems dumb to set it against Gotham. Heaven knows I'd rather watch Supergirl live, but you have to know that half your viewing audience is split. And Gotham already has it's built in viewership for a year already.

Yeah, pitting it against Gotham seems a bit foolish. Supergirl's producers shouldn't be so confident of their product and think they can just have everyone transfer loyalty to this new series, even if it is good. If Supergirl fails and is axed, then they might conclude that there isn't an audience for female-led comic shows, when in fact it's all to do with trying to have it face off against an already-established series about Batman.

Bow tie still not getting any love, I see.

[YT]Lm46-envrHo[/YT]

Just going by that trailer, this looks waaaaaay lighter than I anticipated. I hope they find a good balance like The Flash does. Having said that, Benoist looks great. She's very charismatic. Calista also looks like she's having fun. It's kinda hard to judge because the trailer seems to have been tailored fitted for the younger demographic (more CW-ish vs CBS-ish). I think it'll do well against Gotham. The tone is very much opposite of that.

Last edited:
Seems dumb to set it against Gotham. Heaven knows I'd rather watch Supergirl live, but you have to know that half your viewing audience is split. And Gotham already has it's built in viewership for a year already.
It's not going to be an even split. Supergirl is going to do bigger numbers than Gotham, guaranteed.

Gotham's first season ratings trajectory was a lot like SHIELD's, and SHIELD was down almost 34% from season to this one. Like SHIELD, Gotham will likely limp along for 4-5 seasons for syndication/streaming purposes; they have a fairly lucrative deal with Netflix already so Warner will probably find a way to keep it around even if/when Supergirl eats into its audience.

The Flash went from a 1.9 in its premiere to a 1.5 in its penultimate episode. Gotham went from a 3.3 rating in its premiere to the same 1.5 as the Flash in its penultimate episode, and it did a 1.7 for the season finale.

Gotham will be lucky to average Flash numbers next year, with or without Supergirl in its timeslot.

Arrow and iZombie have shown similar stability. Arrow is actually up versus last season, and only down a fraction from its first season. Flash and Arrow share the same producers as Supergirl. It will probably have a similar trajectory.

Make no mistake, this is a huge problem for Fox. CBS isn't sweating it at all, and they shouldn't.

Well the "trailer" looks fun, but I stopped watching it halfway through. Why are they revealing so much? It's practically the whole episode abridged in it. I thought it was going to be a proper trailer. I already know too much now. :argh:

Yeah, pitting it against Gotham seems a bit foolish. Supergirl's producers shouldn't be so confident of their product and think they can just have everyone transfer loyalty to this new series, even if it is good. If Supergirl fails and is axed, then they might conclude that there isn't an audience for female-led comic shows, when in fact it's all to do with trying to have it face off against an already-established series about Batman.
iZombie and Agent Carter just got renewed for second seasons and AKA Jessica Jones is coming later this year on Netflix. If Supergirl fails it will be because it's a bad show, or because CBS failed to promote it properly and it won't be any great mystery.

This looks great. So glad it's going to have a plane scene.

Jimmy Oslen seem to know clark secret identity. So how do they explain superman absence

It's never a Super story without a plane rescue.

This looks really good.

Different tone than I imagined, but Benoist looks to be better as Kara than I thought she'd be. With the number of people clearly in on the secret, I hope that's just getting the inevitable out of the way quickly so there's no enduring 'who will find out' drama shoehorned in over the season.

I'll have to give another look to be sure, but I like how the the action sequences and SFX looked; really fluid.

It looks surprisingly good. A little too "girly" for my taste but I'll give it a shot.

That looked surprisingly really good, but they kept teasing Superman. I'd be really annoyed if he never gets brought in.

Looks pretty good, a lot like The Flash which I love, Benoist looks good in the role, and like Flash the effects look great for a TV show, I will give it a watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"