Supergirl Supergirl General Discussion Thread - - - Part 12

What's Melissa doing on Broadway? Is she in a play or musical?

What's Melissa doing on Broadway? Is she in a play or musical?
She's playing Carole King in the musical, Beautiful, from June 7th-August 4th. Have no idea how SG's schedule is working around that and still getting the first part of the season finished on time to debut along side the other shows (they usually start production in July), but hey if they've managed that, more power to them.

melissa_benoist1.jpg

Last edited:
I don't need all that - I just needed them to spend more time on Kara processing this huge game-changing development in her life, and not making it one of 3 separate subplots in an episode. It was seriously underplayed in the episode and had very little dramatic oomph, imo.

In other news, S4's premiere date is supposedly October 14th (my birthday!), so I guess Melissa's Broadway stint won't be delaying the season afterall.

Well there is that as well lol. Even the emotional impact was severely played down. Just for me, finding an entire living civilization of your "dead" race needs to way be bigger in every way.

Looking at the plays schedule, I think Melissa is going to be doing a lot of flying back and forth. Spend the mornings filming Supergirl then flying to NYC for the play and flying back after with having Wednesdays/weekends off. Just reminds me of when SMG was filming Scooby Doo in Australia and flying back/forth to film Buffy.

Well there is that as well lol. Even the emotional impact was severely played down. Just for me, finding an entire living civilization of your "dead" race needs to way be bigger in every way.

Looking at the plays schedule, I think Melissa is going to be doing a lot of flying back and forth. Spend the mornings filming Supergirl then flying to NYC for the play and flying back after with having Wednesdays/weekends off. Just reminds me of when SMG was filming Scooby Doo in Australia and flying back/forth to film Buffy.
Yeeesh, that sounds exhausting. It's a 6-hour flight each way. But I guess they'd only overlap for less than a month, so it would just be a grueling few weeks. I can't help but think the first few episodes might be Supergirl-lite, though, since she won't have a lot of extra time to spend on the flying/VFX work.

Last edited:
Mhmm, first half of that season aint gonna be fun for her since she'll go back to a chaotic schedule once they start the crossover (which I hope they finally change up the dynamics! please!)

Yeeesh, that sounds exhausting. It's a 6-hour flight each way. But I guess they'd only overlap for less than a month, so it would just be a grueling few weeks. I can't help but think the first few episodes might be Supergirl-lite, though, since she won't have a lot of extra time to spend on the flying/VFX work.

Or.. they could have Kara in Argo city the first few episodes. That would mean less or no VFX... and as long as they manage to include appropriate emotions and conflicts, it could still be great.

May be Kara would find a permanent solution to Argo's survival issues and at the end of the arc settle them elsewhere.

Is that too much to hope for?

Mhmm, first half of that season aint gonna be fun for her since she'll go back to a chaotic schedule once they start the crossover (which I hope they finally change up the dynamics! please!)

What do you mean change the dynamics?

Hopefully he means the character interactions? That said, the crossovers need some work; the smaller ones between Team Flash and Team Arrow have worked quite well I've thought, and the ones between Team Flash and Team Super haven't been too bad, but when they suddenly start trying to bring four (what may soon be five) shows together with all those different characters, it's just too much.

As entertaining as some of the previous crossovers have been, they've all felt rushed and muddled. If they're going to continue with this crossover theme, I really do think they need to just pick a few characters each year, from each show and do a four-part show with them, rather than try and include everyone, cause it's just too much.

The next-next crossover could simply feature Ollie, Barry, Nora (daughter), Kara, maybe Lena(?), and a few of the Legends; Ray, Zari & Mick would be my picks this year. Maybe we could even have it on Earth-38 (or whatever Earth Kara is from?) thus we don't need to explain (so much) the reason for Cisco, Felicity (and co) being absent. Ray & Zari could be needed for their techy expertise's, and Mick is just along for the ride.

Obviously the next crossover is Batwoman and Gotham, but if they're again going to throw everyone into the fray, it'll just be as cluttered as the previous crossovers have been.

Simple works better.

If the first few episodes are going to be Supergirl-lite because Melissa is doing Broadway, I hope they can do more Midvale flashbacks.

She's playing Carole King in the musical, Beautiful, from June 7th-August 4th. Have no idea how SG's schedule is working around that and still getting the first part of the season finished on time to debut along side the other shows (they usually start production in July), but hey if they've managed that, more power to them.

melissa_benoist1.jpg

Well that sounds cool! I assume she can play the piano, and play it like Carole King? And she'll play live on stage too? Or just piano mime it with someone else playing?

But does she sound anything like Carole King?

Start letting other characters shine outside of Oliver,Feliciry Barry. Do many characters that get nothing (laurel. The. Diggle. Caitlin. Iris etc)

Well that sounds cool! I assume she can play the piano, and play it like Carole King? And she'll play live on stage too? Or just piano mime it with someone else playing?

But does she sound anything like Carole King?
No idea if she plays the piano well enough to do it live on stage. Her voice is very well suited to Carole King songs. The point may not be to sound exactly like Carole King although I believe she could if that’s to goal. Do a YouTube search for Melissa Benoist singing and prepare to lose a good chunk of time.

Not trying to start this debate again....but has their been any mention of contacting Superman in the fight with Reign? Even an off handed comment.

Not trying to start this debate again....but has their been any mention of contacting Superman in the fight with Reign? Even an off handed comment.

Not that I'm aware of, which is kind of irritating. I'm also bummed that Kara has found a part of Krypton alive and well, including a member of the El family (Alura), and it's unclear if she has made Kal-El aware of it or if he would have the opportunity to get to experience those aspects of the home world he never got to know.

Not that I'm aware of, which is kind of irritating. I'm also bummed that Kara has found a part of Krypton alive and well, including a member of the El family (Alura), and it's unclear if she has made Kal-El aware of it or if he would have the opportunity to get to experience those aspects of the home world he never got to know.

If he were a regular on the show I would say, yes, exposition needs to be done.....but he's not, therefore I see no reason why people cannot use their own imagination. Far too much wasted time last episode as it was....not enough time on Argo City.

Right with you on not starting that debate, but I again have to ask....on Flash, on Arrow, hell IN Metropolis with Superman, have they called Supergirl? since she is just a click or a phone call away.

I would see it as a problem if we have had Superman calling on her for help, but we haven't.

Barry/Oliver have been mentioned on their shows but they arent quiet the same as Superman/Supergirl who are family. Supergirl is dealing with something of Kryptonian design, he should be involved or mentioned as to why he isnt around. But again it would be very simple to solve the problem and just say "he's off world" "he's missing"

If we had a Superman show set in this verse, I am sure plenty of people would be asking "Where is Kara?

Last edited:
If he were a regular on the show I would say, yes, exposition needs to be done.....but he's not, therefore I see no reason why people cannot use their own imagination. Far too much wasted time last episode as it was....not enough time on Argo City.

It would waste no more than a few seconds, and it would be far less wasteful than some of the other nonsense the show chooses to spend time on, IMHO. It would characterize Kara as someone considerate about her own family and what it would mean for Kal-El to have such a poignant experience with his lost world.

Barry/Oliver have been mentioned on their shows but they arent quiet the same as Superman/Supergirl who are family. Supergirl is dealing with something of Kryptonian design, he should be involved or mentioned as to why he isnt around. But again it would be very simple to solve the problem and just say "he's off world" "he's missing"

I agree. I think a mention would be a simple and wise thing to do.

It would waste no more than a few seconds, and it would be far less wasteful than some of the other nonsense the show chooses to spend time on, IMHO. It would characterize Kara as someone considerate about her own family and what it would mean for Kal-El to have such a poignant experience with his lost world.

And so she calls him and then what? because he isn't going to go because he isn't on the show, at least this season. There was no mention of his family, so apparently they are not alive, and he isn't on the show so how are you going to explain why he isn't going back with Kara. How would he get there, unless with Mon-el and Kara, and again....how are you going to explain that he isn't going? You've simply made more questions.

I agree with you that there were many things in this past episode that were really not needed. But, the fact is......Superman isn't on this show, and it's not a poignant experience if he isn't going to be able to go with them, because....once again, he isn't on this show.

Clark: Thanks for calling Kara, maybe I'll make it up there next week sometime, can I borrow Jonn's ride?

And so she calls him and then what? because he isn't going to go because he isn't on the show, at least this season. There was no mention of his family, so apparently they are not alive, and he isn't on the show so how are you going to explain why he isn't going back with Kara. How would he get there, unless with Mon-el and Kara, and again....how are you going to explain that he isn't going? You've simply made more questions.

I agree with you that there were many things in this past episode that were really not needed. But, the fact is......Superman isn't on this show, and it's not a poignant experience if he isn't going to be able to go with them, because....once again, he isn't on this show.

Clark: Thanks for calling Kara, maybe I'll make it up there next week sometime, can I borrow Jonn's ride?

Kal-El always cares about getting just a glimpse of what he lost in terms of his culture and hearing from new people who may have known his parents. It would mean something to him. I'm only interested in seeing that Kara considers these things as a loving cousin, but I don't need the show to show her calling Kal or deal with his decision-making about what to do with the information. I'm okay if that's left off screen or open ended. I just want to see that Kara and Kal care about what this means not just for her, but for him too.

Right with you on not starting that debate, but I again have to ask....on Flash, on Arrow, hell IN Metropolis with Superman, have they called Supergirl? since she is just a click or a phone call away.

I would see it as a problem if we have had Superman calling on her for help, but we haven't.

No, but on The Flash they've at least suggested calling Kara, as well as either Oliver or Wally, at the very least, similar to Arrow suggesting giving Constantine a ring for dealing with Damien Darhk. So like when Barry zipped Oliver and Diggle to a quick location this season, it was at least acknowledged that yeah, we've got this super ally we can call upon when necessary.

If there has I haven’t noticed. Personally what bugged me when Reign was caged and they were panicking about Kara not been back in time. Why not just call Superman? I feel like this is an issue the show has presented itself tbh.

That bugged me too ever since Supergirl lost her first fight to Reign. In a fully-functioning super-hero universe, surely if Supergirl has a foe she can't defeat herself, then Superman would take point from there. And if Supergirl made a startling discovery, like a hidden Kryptonian city, she'd have to pass it on to him.

That bugged me too ever since Supergirl lost her first fight to Reign. In a fully-functioning super-hero universe, surely if Supergirl has a foe she can't defeat herself, then Superman would take point from there. And if Supergirl made a startling discovery, like a hidden Kryptonian city, she'd have to pass it on to him.

I agree, BUT....he is not on the show. So unless they can have Tyler come in which apparently that is not the case this season....then why answer a question that is going to bring on more questions.

I guess they could have simply said at some point that he is off world, etc. But that brings in questions as well.

And again I have to ask.......why hasn't he called her for help? That would make for a cool storyline....but again it is because the actor is not available.

I agree, BUT....he is not on the show. So unless they can have Tyler come in which apparently that is not the case this season....then why answer a question that is going to bring on more questions.

I guess they could have simply said at some point that he is off world, etc. But that brings in questions as well.

And again I have to ask.......why hasn't he called her for help? That would make for a cool storyline....but again it is because the actor is not available.

Well they had special permission to use him for three episodes last season. So I think it may be a joint decision of the actor not been available and DC not giving the permission at this moment. Although could also be the writers thinking they’ve dealt with the Superman arc and don’t feel the need to revisit the character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"