TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 2

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by Thread Manager, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BatmanBeyond

BatmanBeyond Shadow On The Run

I think the TDKR OST was the best of the trilogy because it contained motifs and themes from the previous two movies, while also having a consistent and quality selection of new tracks as well.

2. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Thanks! I figured Dark Knight was up for a few, besides Heath's win, but didn't know if Begins had nominations as well. Cool to know.

3. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

Looks like this will be the first year in a long time that I will not watch The Oscars. Waltz getting best supporting actor of Leo? :cmad::cmad::cmad:

4. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

It seems this was the year of snubs so it shouldn't be too surprising that what would have been some long shot nominations for TDKR didn't come through.

I see Nolan getting his oscar recognitions with his next pic though.

5. Tacit Ronin

Tacit Ronin Well-Known Member

To be fair, Waltz was better than Leo. So was Samuel Jackson. If I was to be totally honest I was a little disappointed in both the character of Calvin Candie and Leo's portrayal of it. I guess I was expecting another Hans Landa. Jackson's Stephen made up for it though. So many dimensions to that character.

6. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

I could accept Jackson getting the nod, stellar performance from him. But to me, even though I really enjoyed Waltz, I felt he was just Hans Landa with a conscience. But yeah, at least it got a best pic nom, even though we know it has a snowballs chance in hell to win.

7. bane

bane TEH PUFFY

TDKR was snubbed (that's a FACT ), but think of it this way, most of the nominated movies if all, won't be remembered in a few years. Same situation with Blade Runner no noms , no awards.
    The BIG nomination joke is with Skyfall, which is the most mediocre "blockbuster" this year(I would not have been pissed off if Avengers got the spot). Casion Royale just blows this movie out of the water, it's just pathetic. Even the cinematography is not that great, "The Master" for example kills it.

8. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

Have another underripe grape.

9. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

Wait...Blade Runner was never nominated for anything?

10. J.Howlett

J.Howlett Guest

11. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

I still can't believe that the only other Batman movie (discounting the old campy 1966 spin off TV show one) to get no Oscar nominations at all is Batman and Robin!

I reckon it's Bane's fault. He's in both movies. He's a jinx! ;)

12. TheBlur

TheBlur Well-Known Member

The Dark Knight Rises wasn't nominated for ANYTHING?!

13. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

14. RedSkull

RedSkull Lord of the Movie Masters

Don't delude yourselves...TDKR is no Blade Runner. It's no TDK either. While I'd argue it might be a better film than a couple of nominees, it doesn't particularly DESERVE to win anything. In no category would I say it's a better quality or more inventive film than everything else nominated. Including cinematography. The only category where it was my favorite thing of the year was the score.

15. Frodo

Frodo Well-Known Member

TDK was the film that needed to be nominated for best picture imo, but as Alfred said,"That time has passed". I really can't say that TDKR should have been nominated for best picture. Sorry,it just wasn't there imo. Neither was Avengers or Skyfall even though I really enjoyed them as well.

TDKR has some solid performances but I couldn't say they were Oscar worthy. The script had alot of flaws which make it tough for the Academy to seriously consider it for best screenplay. It could be argued however, that it should have at least gotten some technical nods . That said, its hard to deny that TDKR was snubbed , but in this case ,I can't say the Academy is wrong or evil for not nominating it.

16. JaD

JaD Thriller Night

Haha! I agree. :word: Valid point and connection made there. :cwink:

17. DACrowe

DACrowe Well-Known Member

It was snubbed. We all should have seen it coming. Honestly, it isn't in my top 5 this year (unlike BB and TDK for their years), so I am not really too annoyed. I'd give that tenth slot to Moonrise Kingdom before TDKR.

However, I do think it was one of the ten best movies this year and know it will live on as a classic, so I do not really care.

18. TheBlur

TheBlur Well-Known Member

I mean, TDKR is my personal favorite movie ever, I loved every single second of it, but I can understand it not being nominated for the big awards. But not to get ANY nominations? Not a single one? No technical nods? Score? Special effects? NOTHING? That's just absurd.

19. BatmanBeyond

BatmanBeyond Shadow On The Run

Pretty much my stance on this as well. I could've seen it being nominated for the achievement represented by the entire trilogy though.

20. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Well-Known Member

The outright snub isn't a big deal (Snow White and the Huntsman for visual effects? lol) this year's Oscars are bi-polar as hell. Bigelow should have been a lock for Best Director. Those old men in the Academy were smoking some strong stuff this winter.

21. RedSkull

RedSkull Lord of the Movie Masters

It's legacy will be that of a classic "fail." People will look back on these and go "Nolans batman movies were so good...except for that last one...yeahhhh"

22. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

K- Stew probably did a few favours.

23. Agent Orange

Will The Avengers be looked at as a massive fail in the future? It recently "won" an online Los Angeles Times poll as the most overrated film of 2012 in a landslide with 85 percent.

24. Agent Orange

It's nomination reminds of me of The Golden Compass' laughable nomination and subsequent win. Snow White will probably follow suit.

25. J.Howlett

J.Howlett Guest

Dude, I don't know. The visual effects in Snow White are quite striking. I mean, there's some seriously brilliant imagery in that film, especially on the visual effects side.

I'm not that bent on Snow White getting a visual effects nomination.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.