The Dark Knight Rises TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anne always looks giddy. She and JGL are like counterparts of each other when it comes to excitement over things. :funny:

That's why I love them besides their talent. Their excitement is infectious.

I think Anne was the only one there from the TDKR cast (since she was there for Les Mis too):

tumblr_mghkcerk621rvs6oho1_500.jpg
Anne is so awesome. <3

I think Anne was the only one there from the TDKR cast (since she was there for Les Mis too):

tumblr_mghkcerk621rvs6oho1_500.jpg

:hrt:

I find her very, very, very attractive with short hair and I'm not really into women with short hair at all.

Also...I am glad that at least AFI recognizes TDKR as they recognized TDK, Iron Man and Spider-Man 2. That is a very huge accomplishment for a film in general but also for a CBM even if it got zero Oscar noms.

Do you think Abraham Lincoln or Batman has had the bigger effect on more lives? I don't doubt the profound effect of Lincoln on the USA, but Batman must have been inspirational to so many children at their formative ages all over the world.

Alan Moore gave Prospero a brilliant soliloquy on this topic at the end of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen book.
The Civil War was the bloodiest in American history .
Lincoln ended that war and freed the slaves ,
His impact on American history was ENORMOUS.

Going back to the Oscar talk, the folks spouting the "Maybe it just wasn't good enough" rhetoric need to get a grip. Iron Man 2 has a damn Oscar nomination. The ****ing Transformers films have Oscar nominations... Batman Forever has THREE Oscar nominations!!

No, there's some vindictive going on here. The BAFTA awards got the visual effects category right and their nominations were much better overall.

Or, they just didnt like it enough to nominate it for anything , it happens

Oh, I don't doubt that Nolan lacks fans within the Academy but there's definitely political nonsense behind this.

I think the shooting put such a shadow over TDKR that it kept it from being nominated for anything as well. To say they just didn't enjoy it and yet films like Iron Man 2 get technical nods when TDKR could have very well too just makes it seem like TDKR should've been given way more awful reviews if they simply didn't enjoy TDKR.

It's really a shame almost everything recognizes TDKR except for the big awards such as the Golden Globes and Oscars.

Going back to the Oscar talk, the folks spouting the "Maybe it just wasn't good enough" rhetoric need to get a grip. Iron Man 2 has a damn Oscar nomination. The ****ing Transformers films have Oscar nominations... Batman Forever has THREE Oscar nominations!!

No, there's some vindictive going on here. The BAFTA awards got the visual effects category right and their nominations were much better overall.

Bingo!

Quoted for the sad Truth.

I am not saying it is, just what it would be under Dark Knight's asinine logic.

Like I said....Politics is what kept TDKR from being shutout of Oscar nominations.

Plain and simple. TDKR being shut out of the technical fields for nominations is ridiculous. Come on now...proof is in the pudding.

Just like how TDK and Chris Nolan were snubbed for Best Picture and Best Director nominations. Blatantly ridiculous.

The weak "argument" saying "maybe TDKR was just not a good enough film". Is just that, a weak argument. If you can even call it an argument. :word:

I fully agree that the perceived political message of the The Dark Knight Rises is what shut it out from ALL nominations. How does that film doesn't get at least an FX nod? Seriously?

I'm a die-hard liberal, and can divorce myself from that to enjoy/love this film for a work of art. On top of that, I don't even see how it's anti-liberal, anyway.

Selina Kyle is a representation of the 99%.
Wayne is a 1%er who does all that he can to help the 99%.
The Dent Act is tantamount to the Patriot Act.
Black Gate Prison is Guantanamo Bay Prison.
Bane is a revolutionary terrorist leader.

It gives a voice to each of the players involved.

It's a true representation of the real world...and it doesn't present clear-difinitive answers of what was "right" and what was "wrong."

It also has historical/literary roots...
A Tale of Two Cities, the French Revolution, the Storming of the Bastille, and America's current socio-economic climate are all thrown into this film. It's so much more than a comic book film.

I can see how The Dark Knight, where the hero uses a "Patriot Act" type wiretapping method to bring down the bad guy could have rubbed them the wrong way, but you know what? Get over it. It's not promoting it. It was an ethical issue that Bruce caved on. It was all part of the questions that the film raised, "How many people do you kill to stop people killing people?", or "how many laws do you break to stop people breaking the law?".
And in the context of the film, it works beautifully.

It's a shame that this film and it's predecessor fell victim to meaningless political bias.

-R

Last edited:
Shouldn't this thread be closed now?

I wasn't even aware of this. That's absolute bollocks! :doh: IM 2 was such a major disappointment following on from the awesome IM.

Never mind the Oscars snub, I am happy that TDKR has achieved this -

The Dark Knight Rises:

87% RT, 8.0 average rating (7.9 Top Critics)

78/100 Metacritic, 10 perfect scores

91/100 Critics' Choice

AFI Top 10

SEFCA Top 10

Rolling Stone Top 10

Time Top 10

Los Angeles Times Top 10

New York Post Top 10

Number #7 All Time Worldwide collections.

Number #7 All Time Domestic (US) collections.

BAFTA nomination for Visual Effects.

Last edited:
Like I said....Politics is what kept TDKR from being shutout of Oscar nominations.

Plain and simple. TDKR being shut out of the technical fields for nominations is ridiculous. Come on now...proof is in the pudding.

Just like how TDK and Chris Nolan were snubbed for Best Picture and Best Director nominations. Blatantly ridiculous.

The weak "argument" saying "maybe TDKR was just not a good enough film". Is just that, a weak argument. If you can even call it an argument. :word:

Perhaps you should read what you respond to. My post about your terrible logic was in regards to calling Skyfall a TDK ripoff, nothing to do with Oscars.

This is getting kind of ridiculous. Though the conspiracy theories are kind of entertaining.

The reasons TRANSFORMERS has its nominations are obvious, and fairly well deserved.

IRON MAN 2 was nominated for visual effects, and probably deserved to be.

BATMAN FOREVER deserved its nominations at the time as well.

But in what sense did THE DARK KNIGHT RISES deserve a nomination for impressive visual effects this year compared to several other films that were nominated?

The only real shot THE DARK KNIGHT RISES had was cinematography and maybe sound editing/mixing, and it was released in a year with some serious competition.

At some point people are just going to have to realize that it was a year of some great film achievments, and while TDKR was a good film, and even a great film in places, it was not neccessarily among the best of the best in specific categories.

Interesting that neither Skyfall or Rises were nominated for best visual effects. The common link? The mega talented Chris Corbould was a special effects supervisor for both. It is very likely that his votes were split between the two films enough that neither made the cut.

Last edited:
I think fans are just blowing off steam now... but hey, I doubt Chris Nolan is crying himself to sleep at night.

The movie acheieved an awful lot and thats what really matters. It's doesn't need a little gold statue.

This is getting kind of ridiculous. Though the conspiracy theories are kind of entertaining.

The reasons TRANSFORMERS has its nominations are obvious, and fairly well deserved.

IRON MAN 2 was nominated for visual effects, and probably deserved to be.

BATMAN FOREVER deserved its nominations at the time as well.

But in what sense did THE DARK KNIGHT RISES deserve a nomination for impressive visual effects this year compared to several other films that were nominated?

The only real shot THE DARK KNIGHT RISES had was cinematography and maybe sound editing/mixing, and it was released in a year with some serious competition.

At some point people are just going to have to realize that it was a year of some great film achievments, and while TDKR was a good film, and even a great film in places, it was not neccessarily among the best of the best in specific categories.
Yeah, that neon infused, CG bolstered cinematography was absolutely spell-binding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"