The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man (First Reactions: Critics, Fans) (Spoiler Alert) - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB probably wasn't compared as much to '89 Batman because the '89 Batman didn't really have an origin story, while BB had that and a entire new villain, or villains if you count Scarecrow. MoS probably will because it's doing the origin again.

I still say the 35 year gap will be the reason MoS and Superman will NOT be compared. That's too many years to compare the movies. Effects have changes; stories and retcons have changed within the comics. Things change.

The only reason I believe this reboot and Raimi's film is being compared is because it's only been ten years therefore it's still fresh in people's minds without having to go back and watch the previous film.

And '89 Batman did show Jack Napier to be the killer, so that could've been compared to Joe Chill killing Bruce's parents in BB, lol.

BB probably wasn't compared as much to '89 Batman because the '89 Batman didn't really have an origin story, while BB had that and a entire new villain, or villains if you count Scarecrow. MoS probably will because it's doing the origin again.

BB wasn't compared to B89 much because by and large most of the average joe moviegoer barely remembers B89. A lot of people remember that Jack played the Joker, but most of them hadn't seen the film in years, and it wasn't prominent in their mind.

BB wasn't compared to B89 much because by and large most of the average joe moviegoer barely remembers B89. A lot of people remember that Jack played the Joker, but most of them hadn't seen the film in years, and it wasn't prominent in their mind.

This, this, this.

There's a difference between New Yorkers tossing eggs and pipes at Green Goblin trying to start a fight that'll only be one-sided to construction workers aligning theirs cranes to help out Spidey since he can't swing up that high to get to OsCorp Tower(I think it's his way getting to the building). There are still a lot of NYers that'll be a fan of Spidey; not all of NYC will hate the vigilante. At least they're not wanting to fight Lizard, lol.
Yeah idk how those scenes can even be compared.

I'm surprised Peter Travers counted it as fresh since Roger Ebert usually counts 2.5/5 as rotten.

I'm not saying that is definitely the reason why, but he doesn't really give any other complaints in the review, that's the only negative comment. Again, the review seems so general and short for some reason. Like he didn't put much time into it and just typed it up real quick. Is that his writing style? Because I haven't read many of his reviews.

Yes his written reviews usually are short like that.

Yeah I can see that, I see SM1 on tv a lot more than the '89 Batman for some reason lol why is that though? Was it considered "meh" back in it's time even though it was a BO success?

Um...not if they included the origin story, since that seems to be main complaint overall. And how can you compare this to The Avengers when:

1. This movie wasn't in development as long The Avengers,
2. This is the start of a new series that has to reestablish it's characters
while The Avengers have already been established.
3. There has never been anything like The Avengers, so the simple fact that ot was pulled off is bound to receive some acclaim.

Alright, so maybe comparing it to The Avenger's was unfair, but I was really just referring to the critical acclaim of The Avengers. If not that, let's compare it to either of Nolan's Batman films, or X-Men: First Class. It doesn't really matter. My point was that if Marc Webb (or more likely, a director with something more than ONE film under his belt) had done this, it could have been something more than a mere re-telling of Spidey's origin. Something huge,epic. Something this character deserves. The tag of "The Untold Story" only hurts this because,well .. According to just about everyone, the differences are only minor. No significant changes that 1) Justify the movies existence and 2) Expand upon the story we've already seen.

A new tagline,costume,cast, director and crew may not have been necessary. If done properly, this could have been what "The Dark Knight Rises" is sure to be : The greatest superhero film. Ever.

I just want that for Spider-Man.

Yeah I can see that, I see SM1 on tv a lot more than the '89 Batman for some reason lol why is that though? Was it considered "meh" back in it's time even though it was a BO success?

It was considered very dope when it came out. It was so big. One of the biggest movies of all time at that time. It was huge. It still comes on HD net movies a lot and looks great in HD but I don't know why it's not on a lot now. I loved it when I was 3 and love it now.

Alright, so maybe comparing it to The Avenger's was unfair, but I was really just referring to the critical acclaim of The Avengers. If not that, let's compare it to either of Nolan's Batman films, or X-Men: First Class. It doesn't really matter. My point was that if Marc Webb (or more likely, a director with something more than ONE film under his belt) had done this, it could have been something more than a mere re-telling of Spidey's origin. Something huge,epic. Something this character deserves. The tag of "The Untold Story" only hurts this because,well .. According to just about everyone, the differences are only minor. No significant changes that 1) Justify the movies existence and 2) Expand upon the story we've already seen.

A new tagline,costume,cast, director and crew may not have been necessary. If done properly, this could have been what "The Dark Knight Rises" is sure to be : The greatest superhero film. Ever.

There wasn't significant changes to the iconography of Spider-Man's origin. Seriously, your expectations were waaaaay too high. And how do you know TDKR will be the greatest super hero film ever, since the term greatest is usually based on one's opinion.
And that's a sequel, this is the start of a new series that has to deal with getting it's characters off the ground.

id imagine because theyre playing alot of begins and dark knight instead.

they are trying to drum up interest for the new movies. and those are the one most likely to get you amped for tdkr. hence why spiderman is on so much right now (except they dont have the options batman does).

Well this is just one Spider-Man movie. We will be getting two more sequels (if not more) after TASM in this trilogy, and they could have the potential to be the greatest superhero movies, who knows? And then there will be more SM movies after that!

Spider-Man 2 is still considered to be one of the greatest CBMs, up there with TDK and Avengers.

I'm surprised Peter Travers counted it as fresh since Roger Ebert usually counts 2.5/5 as rotten.

That's 'cause the only thing Peter Travers really didn't like was the fact that it was a reboot that came too soon. I'm just glad he counted it as Fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"