The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man (First Reactions: Critics, Fans) (Spoiler Alert) - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I remember,

He moves his lab and equipment to sewers. As he goes out, the lab happens to stay on him until he faces SWAT. However, the first time he's in the coat seemed more like a reference for a second

Hrm...seems just like an unnecessary nod to fans.

Thanks, Thread Manager. (for sabotaging my last post.) :oldrazz:

To mayo23:

How would you rank X:FC and in what ways do you think ASM is not on par with it?

I'm still not sure what story Webb actually wanted to tell. Judging from what he's discussed in interviews and not rumors, whatever ended up in the final film was what Webb discussed for 2 years. However, those deleted scenes probably would've fleshed out the parent plot a bit more..but I'm sure it would've pissed off the fanboy community. You know, Avi and the producers read the message boards, apparently.

I gave X:FC 4/5, same as Spider-Man 2.

IMO, X:FC had a smooth plot flow and the pace right for the most time. Besides, it did a great job in exploring the early relationship between Charles and Erik, making it the focus of the story and, at the same time, revealing stuff we were not aware of before. Yes, it also had flaws (hence I have it 4) and continuity did not fit in right. However, I viewed it as a film firstly, and only then as a part of the franchise.

With TAS, the plot was quite rough, especially in the first and final acts. Mainly, that is due to the editing, which was the worst aspect of the film. The main focus of the story, which is the truth about Peter and his parents, was lost after Uncle Ben's death. Although Connors is linked to Peter's parents, this line is also dropped immediately as the former transforms into the Lizard. Also, there many other details that kept me from giving it 4. I can use spoiler tags to elaborate :D

In addition, I have to note that this time I truly enjoyed the portrayal of Spider-Man. Both Webb & Garfield got it right! :up:

Thanks, Thread Manager. (for sabotaging my last post.) :oldrazz:

Here then :woot:

Originally Posted by mayo23
Oh you know, in this day and age, when you've got films that were built up like Avengers and TDKR, being good just isn't good enough. You're going to need near unanimous praise.
I guess we all are spoiled by Avengers to certain extent.

Now, we expect every damn cbm to make 1.441 billion $ with a tomatometer rating of 93 % , otherwise it must be a mediocre movie.

:up:

Hrm...seems just like an unnecessary nod to fans.

Basically, yes, I would say so. But, I really wish they kept the coat on him longer. It gave him such a symbolic look of a human trapped into a monster's shell.

To mayo23:

I gave X:FC 4/5, same as Spider-Man 2.

IMO, X:FC had a smooth plot flow and the pace right for the most time. Besides, it did a great job in exploring the early relationship between Charles and Erik, making it the focus of the story and, at the same time, revealing stuff we were not aware of before. Yes, it also had flaws (hence I have it 4) and continuity did not fit in right. However, I viewed it as a film firstly, and only then as a part of the franchise.

With TAS, the plot was quite rough, especially in the first and final acts. Mainly, that is due to the editing, which was the worst aspect of the film. The main focus of the story, which is the truth about Peter and his parents, was lost after Uncle Ben's death. Although Connors is linked to Peter's parents, this line is also dropped immediately as the former transforms into the Lizard. Also, there many other details that kept me from giving it 4. I can use spoiler tags to elaborate :D

Thanks for your elaboration. I do question whether or not the truth about Peter's parents are the main focus of the story. Going off of interviews, the main story would be about how Peter becomes Spider-man; the parent's, uncle ben and Connors are just elements and catalysts that contribute to this story. Of course, the truth about Peter's parents will loom over sequels. But, this is all irrelevant seeing as how these aspects did not edit well together, at least in your view.

I'd rather walk in knowing all it's flaws and failings rather than walk in thinking it's one of the best films of all time from some fanboy review. It's much better to be pleasantly surprised in the cinema rather than crushingly disappointed.

Hence why it helps to focus on negative (but fair) reviews for films you aren't completely sold on.

Last edited:
Basically, yes, I would say so. But, I really wish they kept the coat on him longer. It gave him such a symbolic look of a human trapped into a monster's shell.

I agree with that symbolic look, but I was totally fine with the change of the lab coat not being used and I don't think I'll be a fan of that kind of nod. I'm not a fan of something for the fans that is really unnecessary.

Thanks for your elaboration. I do question whether or not the truth about Peter's parents are the main focus of the story. Going off of interviews, the main story would be about how Peter becomes Spider-man; the parent's, uncle ben and Connors are just elements and catalysts that contribute to this story. Of course, the truth about Peter's parents will loom over sequels. But, this is all irrelevant seeing as how these aspects did not edit well together, at least in your view.

The editing was a major problem regardless of the storyline of Peter's parents.

I agree that Peter's growing up to become Spider-Man would be the actual major point. However, in such case, it does not bring in new stuff as much as Spider-Man 1. Yes, his growth takes up the whole film. However, his whole progression from Peter Parker to Peter Parker/Spider-Man again takes just a brief montage of scenes. It does reasonate Peter's certain choices, but doesn't go into depth and leaves a lot of ambiguity how suddenly this guy just turned into a superhero. I do believe SM1 took a longer stance on this issue.

I agree with that symbolic look, but I was totally fine with the change of the lab coat not being used and I don't think I'll be a fan of that kind of nod. I'm not a fan of something for the fans that is really unnecessary.

I see what you mean here. But, trust me, seeing him a lab coat is really something. I just wish they extended it to at least one whole sequence. It looked magnificent.

Wow...

"It's slightly unremarkable, but that in itself might be remarkable."

Is that a good thing or bad? Lol. Epic line, imo.

Some fans were demanding that Lizard should run around wearing a Lab coat in all his scenes !! :wow:

I see what you mean here. But, trust me, seeing him a lab coat is really something. I just wish they extended it to at least one whole sequence. It looked magnificent.

It was a nice nod but I was thankful that lasted a few seconds.

Did anyone feel that Captain Stacy's final words to Peter kind of foreshadows Gwen's inevitable death in the future?

And yeah, when lizard infects the police team with the green gas, the policemen starts transforming, but then we never get to see a SWAT team of lizards

I thought the policemen lizards will attack spiderman lol

Last edited:
Wow...

"It's slightly unremarkable, but that in itself might be remarkable."

Is that a good thing or bad? Lol. Epic line, imo.

I know, once he said that I was like "Did he just say it's remarkable that the movie is unremarkable?" It was a decent review, at least he kinda understood the whole too soon might not be too soon for me for example.

Did anyone feel that Captain Stacy's final words to Peter kind of foreshadows Gwen's inevitable death in the future?

And yeah, when lizard infects the police team with the green gas, the policemen starts transforming, but then we never get to see a SWAT team of lizards

I thought the policemen lizards will attack spiderman lol

I'd rather keep this in spoilers. But, yeah,

Stacy's words basically defined the suffering Peter will have to go through. It's only the beginning.

As for SWAT as lizards, I really thought it was a pointless scene. It was there for no reason and didn't add much, otehr than releasing the antidote.

To be honest, I think they could have played the whole Lizard's mission different way and make it much better. Heck, they could even avoid that at all, leaving more time for the proper story flow and exploration of Peter and how he becomes Spider-Man.

I also though Connors's talk with his alter ego was too reminiscent of all the previous villains in other films. It didn't really strike me as something new or different, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"