The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man (First Reactions: Critics, Fans) (Spoiler Alert) - - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
AICN talkbacks are certainly a cesspool of the worse of the worse, but it still has pretty good writers, of course this is irrelevant on this board considering they gave TASM less than stunning reviews. lol

Just got back from the film. Watched it in Imax 3D.

Well, I think it is a good summer blockbuster, although it does have some flaws.

The first act was rather raw and too quick in pace, same with the ending (after the final battle). Everything else was quite well-put. I'd call the film's script, music and, especially, editing, its weakest points. Visually it is stunning and the cast is good, although Garfield seemed to slightly overact in some parts.

Honestly, I was disappointed with some aspects, but overall the film is good. To me, it seemed like certain parts were very well-done, while other dragged heavily. I just expected a rather different approach, judging by what Webb & Co have been saying to us for so long. My only advice is to watch it with open mind.

I would give it strong 3 out of 5. Definitely looking forward to the sequel.

P.S. My favorite scene was [BLACKOUT]the moment, when Spidey and the Lizard fight in the school and suddenly break into the library. Aside from Stan Lee's cameo, watching these both beating the heck of each other with slow classic music was not only hilarious, but even beautiful![/BLACKOUT]

Last edited:
Just got back from the film. Watched it at Imax 3D.

Well, I think it is a good summer blockbuster, although it does have some flaws.

The first act was rather raw and too quick in pace, same with the ending (after the final battle). Everything else was quite well-put. I'd call the film's script, music and, especially, editing, its weakest points. Visually it is stunning and the cast is good, although Garfield seemed to slightly overact in some parts.

Honestly, I was disappointed with some aspects, but overall the film is good. To me, it seemed like certain parts were very well-done, while other dragged heavily. I just expected a rather different approach, judging by what Webb & Co have been saying to us for so long. My only advice is to watch it with open mind.

I would give it strong 3 out of 5. Definitely looking forward to the sequel.

P.S. My favorite scene was [BLACKOUT]the moment, when Spidey and the Lizard fight in the school and suddenly break into the library. Aside from Stan Lee's cameo, watching these both beating the heck of each other with slow classic music was not only hilarious, but even beautiful![/BLACKOUT]
Just curious, how would you rate the previous movies?

Just curious, how would you rate the previous movies?

Sure, here is my list:

1. Spider-Man 2 - 4/5
2. The Amazing Spider-Man - 3/5
3. Spider-Man - 3/5
4. Spider-Man 3 - 1.5/5

I really liked TAS, but there are just certain flaws that couldn't sit well with me. It doesn't have anything to do with the origin, though.

By the way, guys I am free to answer any questions you may have about the film:)

Sure, here is my list:

1. Spider-Man 2 - 4/5
2. The Amazing Spider-Man - 3/5
3. Spider-Man - 3/5
4. Spider-Man 3 - 1.5/5

I really liked TAS, but there are just certain flaws that couldn't sit well with me. It doesn't have anything to do with the origin, though.
I'm just glad you didn't bash it for being a reboot. lol

Then how would he turn himself into The Lizard? :lmao:

Well it COULD work with him not being able to make a perfect serum with not being a biologist. Although, it's very dumb to change his origin and change it with a quick sentence with making the audience think Connors was a biologist since he showed up in Spider-Man.

There was no need for a muscular guy, since Venom's strength has nothing to do with Eddie's muscle. Raimi wanted an actor, not some muscle-bound non-actor. He also rightfully so- wanted a mirror of Peter Parker.

Grace should have at least gone to Tom Hardy as Bane size though. He may have been a mirror of Peter Parker, but the size Grace had gone to wasn't quite very built enough to me. I'm not asking for muscle-bound size, but somewhat bigger than he was. That's not asking too much.

Alright, I just saw TASM earlier and it was amazing! The 3D is only good during the web-slinging scenes and it also gave me a minor headache (this is the 1st time I got one while watching 3D). Overall I as much as I love the Raimi films (except for 3) this is the best Spider-man film that I've seen.

8/10

I think people especially comics fan will like this better than Raimi's version.

Because Marc Webb's version stays true and faithfully at least to the timeline of events that occur as depicts in the comics.

Peter meets Gwen first in high school.....later he meets MJ and Harry at college

But Raimi mess and screw everything up by introducing MJ in the first movie....and only have Gwen appear in Spidey 3

By that time, Raimi already mess up the timeline and events that occur in spiderman comics, gwen was useless in spiderman 3

And I think this is the reason why he couldn't continue with spidey 4....everything ties up perfectly at the end of spidey 3, there isn't any plot to continue to move or drive peter forward .....and all these happens because raimi introduces MJ too early in his series and left out gwen in the begining

Killing gwen in spiderman 3 wouldn't make any sense since green goblin already died in spiderman 1, and gwen wan't romantically involved with peter

After the events in spiderman 3, there is no story anymore....Raimi suggesting Peter and MJ married and have kids but that would have been so boring

I thought in the original comics, Peter doesn't meet Gwen until he's in college? And wasn't Gwen originally Harry's gf, and she was kind of cold/stuck up towards Peter?

Nick Nunziata from CHUD gave it a 2.5 out of 5. Here are some excerpts.

It’s impossible to view this thing entirely on its own simply due to the overwhelmingly high profile of the character and the previous three film incarnations. But this is not the Sam Raimi Spider-Man and despite snap judgements based on early footage, it’s also not Marvel and Sony attempting to inject a little of Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight energy into the franchise. It’s also not (500) Days of Summer Redux.

There’s a very feeble approach to tease the next film’s villain both in allusions throughout the film and an awful post-credits scene but the end result is a film with sadly little to say.

If you have a few spare dollars and have interest in more Spider-Man adventures you could do worse. It’s still a redundant film but in a world where we have seven Batman movies, three different Hulks, and X-Men bouncing back and forth over thirty year periods, does it really matter?

Sounds about fair enough, I'll have to hope the spectacle and acting are good enough to wipe away nagging plot problems.

I'm just glad you didn't bash it for being a reboot. lol

Oh, I believe it is really wrong to do so. It's not easy for reboots these days. TAS is definitely a good start. I mean it is surely not as bad as SR or even GL (as some may say), but it is still quite far from Nolan's Batman or X:FC.

Although it basically does re-tell the same story instead of unfolding a different one, it is on the same level of quality for me as was Spider-Man. I just wish Webb took a greater risk and told the story he actually wanted, because I believe that would pay off in the end.

Here's another question I have of this movie for anyone who's seen it...

Why does Lizard have the lab coat on? Was it just a silly reference for the fans? Did it make any sense since he doesn't wear the coat all those other times?

Here's another question I have of this movie for anyone who's seen it...

Why does Lizard have the lab coat on? Was it just a silly reference for the fans? Did it make any sense since he doesn't wear the coat all those other times?

As I remember,

He moves his lab and equipment to sewers. As he goes out, the lab happens to stay on him until he faces SWAT. However, the first time he's in the coat seemed more like a reference for a second

Oh, I believe it is really wrong to do so. It's not easy for reboots these days. TAS is definitely a good start. I mean it is surely not as bad as SR or even GL (as some may say), but it is still quite far from Nolan's Batman or X:FC.

Although it basically does re-tell the same story instead of unfolding a different one, it is on the same level of quality for me as was Spider-Man. I just wish Webb took a greater risk and told the story he actually wanted, because I believe that would pay off in the end.

How would you rank X:FC and in what ways do you think ASM is not on par with it?

I'm still not sure what story Webb actually wanted to tell. Judging from what he's discussed in interviews and not rumors, whatever ended up in the final film was what Webb discussed for 2 years. However, those deleted scenes probably would've fleshed out the parent plot a bit more..but I'm sure it would've pissed off the fanboy community. You know, Avi and the producers read the message boards, apparently.

I am amused that many posters are quick to give a greater weight-age to negative reviews but conveniently ignore the positive reviews, that in itself is an indicator that they are not going with an open mind.

I am amused that many posters are quick to give a greater weight-age to negative reviews but conveniently ignore the positive reviews, that in itself is an indicator that they are not going with an open mind.

Oh you know, in this day and age, when you've got films that were built up like Avengers and TDKR, being good just isn't good enough. You're going to need near unanimous praise.

Yeah, I've noticed this a lot. I mean, I was cautiously optimistic myself at one point, but a couple of you seem to be putting a lot of stock into negative reviews when there are way more positive ones. I myself am now looking forward to it.

I think you have that totally backwards.

Oh you know, in this day and age, when you've got films that were built up like Avengers and TDKR, being good just isn't good enough. You're going to need near unanimous praise.

I guess we all are spoiled by Avengers to certain extent.

Now, we expect every damn cbm to make 1.441 billion $ with a tomatometer rating of 93 % , otherwise it must be a mediocre movie. :whatever:

As I remember,

He moves his lab and equipment to sewers. As he goes out, the lab happens to stay on him until he faces SWAT. However, the first time he's in the coat seemed more like a reference for a second

Hrm...seems just like an unnecessary nod to fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"