The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man (First Reactions: Critics, Fans) (Spoiler Alert) - - - - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey...

I'm confused..

I see reviewers saying that Raimi's trilogy was actually more faithful to 'his image' of the comics than Marc Webb was. Is Raimi's image of the comics limited to the first couple or am I crazy?

I think you and I saw different movies. The way Spidey moved and fought in this movie is different and better than Raimi's series. And the cg was good to great in most scenes.

Spider-Man moved great. And the CGI did look better than Raimi's. But there were still quite a few moments where the CGI looked questionable and subpar.

My biggest problem with the film, is that started to look too much like Raimi's movies the closer we got to the end. I wanted more of the uniqueness of the carjacker scene.

I mean crane guy. Was that really necessary? :funny:

Really? I honestly thought it was quite different to Elfmans.

The score was one of the films big strong points IMO

When spidey was web-slinging towards Oscorp towers with the cranes position at the right level for him to swing in a freeflow movement . The feeling of the music felt and sounded like Elfman's Spidey score not directly but their were their also in the final swing .

When spidey was web-slinging towards Oscorp towers with the cranes position at the right level for him to swing in a freeflow movement . The feeling of the music felt and sounded like Elfman's Spidey score not directly but their were their also in the final swing .

I heard nothing of Elfmans score IMO.

With Horner, you can hear echoes of his past work, but I feel his scores are distinct enough from each of his other works.

To be honest, at times, I swear I could hear Avatar. Only sometimes lol

So, just seen the film and here be my review :)

The Amazing Spider-Man = Amazing

So where to begin. Well, let me start by saying that I will only be talking THIS film. A comparative review will come later. But this will be as objectionable as possible.

---

The film does not feel like your conventional comic book film. In many ways it does sometimes feel more like a teen flick. But then you get a giant lizard and a man sticking to walls to remind you this is a comic book film. And what a film.

Thanks to it's leads, and some well written dialogue and direction, our two main characters Peter and Gwen come across as very believable teen loves. The build up in their relationship feels authentic (in movie terms) and is the solid foundation of the film. I have to say that I was rooting for each of the characters and was really immersed in their relationship and where it was going. They made you care for them.

The Villain... well, he isn't as bad as was made out. I do agree that he was a little wasted. But we see enough of him before he transforms to see that he is a good man. A good man who seems to be hiding something about Petes parents. And you can tell he is suffering the guilt of what may have happened to them. When he transforms, well, he wants to make the world better. It seems a sudden psychological transformation of the character. Maybe if it was given a bit more build up, it could have worked better. But considering the amount of things this film was trying to cover, some 'fast forwarding' seems needed. It makes sense that now that Connors has this ability and the chemical he uses may also alter his mindset too, which is hinted at after he's cured with how he acts 'normal'. Overall, I felt he did ok. The CGI... was ok at times, noticeable at others.

The score of this films was EXCELLENT. It brought an added dimension to the film. It would add more emotion to an already emotional moment in the film. The hero score really give that 'SPIDER-MAN' feeling. It wasn't your typical score either. A lot of subdued tracks in the film, as the film is not an all out action fest. Because the film is possibly the most dramatic CB film, the score fits perfectly. I truly hope Horner comes back for the sequel.

Spiderman was great in this. He was funny. His line of 'who's been a naughty lizard' at the school and when he was being bashed into walls when holding on to the tale 'don't... make... me... hurt... you...' was just classic spiderman. How he moved also impressed me. The school scene where he was webbing the lizard and crawling on him like a spider was wow.

Do I have any gripes with the film? Possibly. It's not perfect by any means and I do feel the pacing was a bit off at times. I also feel that Bens death, whilst it was emotional and I did feel the loss, seemed a little clunky.

My verdict: 9/10

This is an excellent film. Full of emotion and great performances. It has truly laid the groundwork for Marc Webb to let loose for the sequel. With no origin to tell, I'm even more excited to see what lies in store with TASM-2

I'm sure I have more to say. But that will come over time if anyone asks me anything or after I see it again :D

72%? oh dear. I wonder why the user ratings didn't increase in number.

72%? oh dear. I wonder why the user ratings didn't increase in number.

I hope Sony don't do something silly based on this. I hope the BO will be very favourable.

I TRULY hope they do everything in their power to get Webb on board and make the sequel bigger.

So now I predict this movie will go down to about 68%. When the reviews are about done next week, I'm going to count how many negative reviews criticize this film for being a reboot, and make my own RT score for the film.

Seriously, why isn't there a site like RT for only comic book movies? BTW, did Kevin Smith review this film?

Hey guys, I have a question for those who have seen the movie : the parent's death represents the motivation for Parker to become Spider-Man ? (visit to oscorp, creation of the suit, try to know more about his parents, try to save Connors of the lizard because he creates him by accident)

I mean, it seems the death of ben parker gets the hero just more responsible but not really incite Parker to become spider-man, i'm right ? I hope so ! It will be a different take on the character without betray the comics and it will be interesting for me. It will be an original motivation more pleasant for me with the story of the secrets and the plot.

Sorry for my bad english, i'm french !

Sony won't care what this score is as long as it makes money.

Why have a separate RT for comic book movies? That hurts the genre in its legitimacy.

Why have a separate RT for comic book movies? That hurts the genre in its legitimacy.
What I meant to say is to have a movie rating site just for comic book films, and it would work in a similar fashion to RT (people vote, and it calculates the percentage of positive reviews).

Don't see the point of that, would already feel like another superhero/comicbook haven for fans.

Hey guys, I have a question for those who have seen the movie : the parent's death represents the motivation for Parker to become Spider-Man ? (visit to oscorp, creation of the suit, try to know more about his parents, try to save Connors of the lizard because he creates him by accident)

I mean, it seems the death of ben parker gets the hero just more responsible but not really incite Parker to become spider-man, i'm right ? I hope so ! It will be a different take on the character without betray the comics and it will be interesting for me. It will be an original motivation more pleasant for me with the story of the secrets and the plot.

Sorry for my bad english, i'm french !

It doesn't motivate him to become spiderman. The mystery of his parents is what gets him to go to oscorp and snoop around.

Bens death, him getting his powers and searching for his uncles killer is what leads him on the path to be spiderman.

So now I predict this movie will go down to about 68%. When the reviews are about done next week, I'm going to count how many negative reviews criticize this film for being a reboot, and make my own RT score for the film.

Seriously, why isn't there a site like RT for only comic book movies? BTW, did Kevin Smith review this film?

Please do. The reviews that don't shut up about it being a reboot and its similarities just need to be glossed over.

If they make separate review sites for westerns, war films, romantic comedies, animated films, etc. as well....sure.

I agree, as long its making good money there will be a sequel. Transformers has terrible scores on RT and Dreamworks still making a 4th one.

A comic book review site by fanboys...all of their movies would either OMG best EVAR or SUckZ.

Don't see the point of that, would already feel like another superhero/comicbook haven for fans.

Wouldn't the point of it be so that we can see how the comic book fans judge the movies.
If they make separate review sites for westerns, war films, romantic comedies, animated films, etc. as well....sure.

But those genres don't have the same following as comic book movies. If someone wanted to make a site for CBMs, then someone could do the same for sci-fi, etc. I don't think its as fair when someone who dislikes science fiction for example gives a Star Trek film a negative review.

I don't care about RT's score after seeing the movie. I think RT is a good site for finding reviews, but I won't heavily rely on their scores. Watchmen and TIH in the 60s, really?

I don't care about RT's score after seeing the movie. I think RT is a good site for finding reviews, but I won't heavily rely on their scores. Watchmen and TIH in the 60s, really?
A lot of non-comic book fans judged TIH thinking it was related to the 2003 film.

The good:

-The characters
-The score

The bad:

-Flash Thompson was a psychopath. In real life he would be kicked out of school for violently beating two students. Yet Peter gets punished for merely out maneuvering him at basketball?

-The Lizard and Doc Connors. Poor presentation of the comic character. No family. Flimsy motivation and plot.

-Overall story line. Felt rushed and uninspired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"