The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man (First Reactions: Critics, Fans) (Spoiler Alert) - - - - - Part 14

Basically Garfield plays "today's outcast", which is pretty much like that. Most nerds in high school do act like this..kinda condscending, snarky, etc., as intelligent as they may be.

Basically Garfield plays "today's outcast", which is pretty much like that. Most nerds in high school do act like this..kinda condscending, snarky, etc., as intelligent as they may be.

I do miss the slightly-naive, humble, down-to-Earth Parker we saw in the previous trilogy. There are many people like that in high schools as well, kids who are generally shy but unassuming, courteous, and hard-working. He had a strong upbringing and is somebody who was forced to mature quite quickly after Ben's death and take care of Aunt May. He had a very meaningful, close relationship with his aunt and uncle, and was taught to be a dependable individual. One of the most powerful moments in that character's three-part run was the phone call in Spider-Man 2 in which he confessed his fear of what may happen if he continues to see Mary-Jane.

Maguire's Parker was well-spoken and knew what he wanted to accomplish in life. That is somebody people can support as Spider-Man. The outcast we see in the new film makes for an intriguing on-screen character, but he is an ignorant troublemaker who doesn't see eye-to-eye with anybody and feels entitled to do what he wants. Garfield's Parker is a rebel who has no sense of moral responsibility, and who shows no maturity. He is exactly the type of person who is not dependable, and who often has his own personal agenda.

The previous Parker was noble and careful about his actions. The new Parker is a reckless daredevil who looks after himself first. Both kinds of people exist in this world. It's difficult to respect the type of person Garfield's Parker is. It's definitely an interesting interpretation of the character, but I find it difficult as an audience member to care for him or connect with him.

Last edited:
I do miss the slightly-naive, humble, down-to-Earth Parker we saw in the previous trilogy. There are many people like that in high schools as well, kids who are generally shy but unassuming, courteous, and hard-working. He had a strong upbringing and is somebody who was forced to mature quite quickly after Ben's death and take care of Aunt May. He had a very meaningful, close relationship with his aunt and uncle, and was taught to be a dependable individual. One of the most powerful moments in that character's three-part run was the phone call in Spider-Man 2 in which he confessed his fear of what may happen if he continues to see Mary-Jane.

Maguire's Parker was well-spoken and knew what he wanted to accomplish in life. That is somebody people can support as Spider-Man. The outcast we see in the new film makes for an intriguing on-screen character, but he is an ignorant troublemaker who doesn't see eye-to-eye with anybody and feels entitled to do what he wants. Garfield's Parker is a rebel who has no sense of moral responsibility, and who shows no maturity. He is exactly the type of person who is not dependable, and who often has his own personal agenda.

The previous Parker was noble and careful about his actions. The new Parker is a reckless daredevil who looks after himself first. Both kinds of people exist in this world. It's difficult to respect the type of person Garfield's Parker is. It's definitely an interesting interpretation of the character, but I find it difficult as an audience member to care for him or connect with him.

You obvioulsy don't know what a rebel looks/acts like, trust me I know "rebels" Peter wasnt te sterotypical dork many of you here seem to know off, ge didnt wear point-dexter glasses or red and blue bow ties like im sure some of see fit. He was a modern day geek.
Don't beliive me? Go to some high schools and see some outcast/geeks.
He was down to earth and relatble. "Maybe we could..." Yeah I have that with girls I meet, its awkward and cute. "How dare you" That hit hard. It reminded me off a arguement I had a while back with my dad, it was very relatble. "Get in their an aplogise like a man"
Uncle Ben wasnt a plot device to get shot, he was a strong and loving uncle-husband who wanted the best for his family, unlike the late-Mr. Robinson who didn't have much set up im sorry but it's true.

TASM Wins.

I could reply with a really long post but i cba so I'll just say this, for me this Peter Parker was much more relatable and felt much more real than Tobey's did. To me. There will always be people who relate more to Tobey's Parker and one's this one, that's great. However I disagree strongly with how you see this Parker as a rebel, punk, and bad boy. He's 17 years old, and tell me how many 17 year olds have you known who do everything their parents say? or always obey them? I've never met one. Even those who are the most 'goody two-shoes' as the saying goes still have their teenage moments. That's what makes a teenager. Also just because someone is a loner as you put it, or an introvert, doesn't make them unfriendly, just reserved. What I saw was someone who wants to do right, but doesn't necessarily know how, or goes about it in the wrong way. (ie. Flash for example) It's evident he tries to be a good person, but sometimes trips over the line.

Also him bringing the eggs back at the end was meant to be a strong indication of the fact, even though Aunt May probably doesn't care for the eggs anymore at this time, Peter still does and feels guilty and upset that he let her down in the first place, and him realising and becoming more responsible.

Last edited:
The Rocket.. how old are you?

I have a feeling that the environment you grew up in is what makes you think of Peter as a punk and rebel.

Problem is that they went too far making Peter such a milksop that he fell in love with a girl once when he was 6 (and apparently he was already enough of a simpleton back then to ask Aunt May things like 'Mary Jane, is she an angel?') and afterwards he has been in love with the same girl ever since!!! Even when he doesn't know her. because, somehow, they're neighbours but they have never crossed words until the movie started and they happen to be taking the trash out at the same time for the first time in like 17 years.

Meh. I'm not too critical on that angle because I know people who have done the "love at first sight" thing and held that flame for years. It happens sometimes.

Meh. I'm not too critical on that angle because I know people who have done the "love at first sight" thing and held that flame for years. It happens sometimes.

I don't mind the love at first sight thing. It's the fact that MJ was a dull character that hurt it the most (in the films.)

I don't mind the love at first sight thing. The fact that he's barely talked to her for 11 years is weird though. And the fact that he's got a perfect view of her bedroom from his just makes it quite creepy
Superhero stalker indeed, MJ...

The modern nerdy outcast look was fine except for those gloves, imo. They were too much, but at least they made sense when Peter created the webshooters, beforehand they were just silly to look at.

..I didn't even noticed the gloves..

Of course it can happen. My point is that, being that the situation (Peter falling in love at 6 years old and keeping it forever), I cannot relate to that.

People were gloves because ITS COLD. Obviously a New York morning would be pretty freezing I would say, he wore the gloves because he had to hid his web-shooters. Nice touch.

Im sure it was a cold morning.

I were gloves most the time because its cold now.

spider-man-garfield-stone.jpg

TASM has a meta score of 66 /100 which is quite good as Avengers has a meta score of 69 /100 on meta critic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"