The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man (First Reactions: Critics, Fans) (Spoiler Alert) - - - - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've glossed over a few reviews, don't want to be too spoiled, but I've gathered that Peter doesn't have his wrestling career this time around. I understand there's a nod to it with the inspiration for his mask, but I am wondering about the burglar.

Does Peter have an opportunity to stop the burglar before Ben's killed?
Or is it just guilt that he wasn't there, and had the powers to do something?

If the latter, I think it looses some of the impact and the guilt.

What is the song when the flash hits Peter in the head a ball from the basket (the scene where Peter attaches photo club)? Please

I feel like the only one who doesn't find the Nolan Batman movies absolutely amazing. I'd rate both of the movies 8.5/10.

You're not the only one. I don't find them amazing at all to be honest and I think your ratings are generous. I feel the movies bludgeon the viewer to death with their themes. I'm a character guy first and foremost and I'm not emotionally invested in any character after two Batman movies which is one of the reasons Rachel's death rang hollow with me and I found the attempted love story to be a joke. The action in both films have been average. The only things I've enjoyed from both films was Bruce Wayne's origin and The Joker.

You're not the only one. I don't find them amazing at all to be honest and I think your ratings are generous. I feel the movies bludgeon the viewer to death with their themes. I'm a character guy first and foremost and I'm not emotionally invested in any character after two Batman movies which is one of the reasons Rachel's death rang hollow with me and I found the attempted love story to be a joke. The action in both films have been average. The only things I've enjoyed from both films was Bruce Wayne's origin and The Joker.

The themes come out naturally in conversations. The characters own words and reflections. See Harvey and the Joker in the hospital or Bruce and Alfred's "the world burn" scenes.

Just back from the cinema.

I am speechless. This movie has exceeded my expectations. It really has. After seeing all the reviews and seeing some people complaining about this movie, I was a bit nervous going into the cinema, but within in first half hour of this movie, I knew it was going to be amazing.
The chemistry between Gwen and Peter is just amazing, those little quirky moments are just priceless. Aunt may and uncle Ben are really great too. You really feel like they care about Peter and worry about him, especially aunt may. Doctor Connors/Lizard is brilliant too. Some of the fight scenes were just incredible. The school fight was ****ing EPIC!!! The cgi was outstanding. I don't see why so many people complained about the lizards cgi. I thought it was great. The swinging shots and first person shots were just mind blowing! I got a lump in my throat at some moments in this film. I love how smart Peter is in this. Andrew IS Peter Parker. No doubt about it. This movie was just incredible and I'm going again to see it on Saturday. I honestly don't see why some complained about it. Honestly. But this is all my opinion. All im saying is it exceeded my expectations by miles.

9.5/10.

I am speechless. This movie has exceeded my expectations. It really has. After seeing all the reviews and seeing some people complaining about this movie, I was a bit nervous going into the cinema, but within in first half hour of this movie, I knew it was going to be amazing.
The chemistry between Gwen and Peter is just amazing, those little quirky moments are just priceless. Aunt may and uncle Ben are really great too. You really feel like they care about Peter and worry about him, especially aunt may. Doctor Connors/Lizard is brilliant too. Some of the fight scenes were just incredible. The school fight was ****ing EPIC!!! The cgi was outstanding. I don't see why so many people complained about the lizards cgi. I thought it was great. The swinging shots and first person shots were just mind blowing! I got a lump in my throat at some moments in this film. I love how smart Peter is in this. Andrew IS Peter Parker. No doubt about it. This movie was just incredible and I'm going again to see it on Saturday. I honestly don't see why some complained about it. Honestly. But this is all my opinion. All im saying is it exceeded my expectations by miles.

9.5/10.

What did you find brilliant about the villain exactly?

What is the song when the flash hits Peter in the head a ball from the basket (the scene where Peter attaches photo club)? Please

9.5/10.

Seconded. The film is just beyond amazing.

[YT]-J34xwZq0qg[/YT]

:cwink: I love the Shins too, so it was great to hear this in the film.

Its actually bad

For me, anything that's Fresh (above 60% I think) isn't bad. Of course I'd like the movie to be rated above 80%, but I don't think 73% (or thereabouts) is bad. It's certainly in recommendable territory.

73%. Yikes.

And Katy Perry dropped from 100%, lol. Thought her breasts would keep her perfect score. What a shame.

Yeah, I'd have imagined they'd keep the ratings afloat.

29 out of 37 Top Critics. Not too shabby. Seeing it in a few hours.

The themes come out naturally in conversations. The characters own words and reflections. See Harvey and the Joker in the hospital or Bruce and Alfred's "the world burn" scenes.

i dunno, i didnt find the themes natural at all. felt they were incredibly heavy handed IMO. for me, begins kinda fell apart when he stopped fighting the mob and went into comic book microwave laser beam scare fests.

tdk worked on a much higher level, for me at least. most of that probably being the incredible performance of the joker.

I loved TDK, but I agree it wasnt exactly subtle. Maybe subtle compared to most superhero movies, but pretty obvious theme-wise compared to other crime dramas. Guess its all relative.

Last edited:
And thanks to all for posting their thoughts. Ill have mine up by tomorrow.

Im happy that almost all the skeptics in here (nothing wrong with that) ended up enjoying the movie to varying degrees. What did everyone think of the 3D? Who saw it on IMAX?

Sorry for the triple post.

The 3D was good, IMO. I didn't find myself thinking about it much.

Im happy that almost all the skeptics in here (nothing wrong with that) ended up enjoying the movie to varying degrees. What did everyone think of the 3D? Who saw it on IMAX?

Sorry for the triple post.

Saw it in IMAX 3D, loved all of the 3D. The final two swinging scenes were eye candy.

the 3D wasnt mind blowing, but there was some good stuff there

although i do think the whole 3D gimic has been done so much that you barely notice it anymore

Well I just came from seeing "The Amazing Spider-Man",overall it was good not great I didn't leave the movie theater going Wow that was an amazing experience i've got to see this again like I had previously did with the previous films (Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, and of course The Avengers) IMO Spider-Man 2 is still the best of the the spidey series I re-watched it a couple of days ago and it stands well still to this day and can match with Marvel's current hit movies.

Their is alot of good elements in this film that are even some better than Raimi's version but I feel that because I've seen spidey before this reboot just isn't good enough to stand on it's own and will be compared to the previous Spider-Man franchise & Batman Begins as it seems to pulled alot of elements from that film into this retelling.

*Good points
* Showcasing Peter Parker, a teenager with a gifted scientific intelligence

* Uncle Ben & Aunt May fleshed out more as surrogate parents to Peter.

* The trails of Peter going though high school as an outcast yet a defender for the weak and helpless

* Web-shooters (I would've loved it even more to have seen him actually come up with the web-fluid himself but for time reasons using a sample from Oscorp worked out well)

* learning to control and develop his powers (I like that it was fleshed out and expanded upon more so than in Raimi's first film origin)

* The Costume it worked and looked amazing on screen more so than I thought originally still prefer the classic from Raimi but this suit worked.

* Spider movements and position - (I like that Peter was showcased moving more spiderlike than previously and his positions were more accurate to the comic look)

* Wise-Cracking sense of humor (Need more so much more but for what it's worth loved seeing it. The Car-jacker scene was pure spidey need to see that more especially when he was fighting The Lizard at the school)

* Spidey vs. Lizard battles great visuals, great fights.

* Stan's Cameo was Hilarious

* Captain Stacy - I enjoyed him alot and he felt very much like Gary Oldman's version of Gordon

* The Death of Uncle Ben (Seeing it this time had more impact than in Raimi's )

* Captain Stacy's death and the promise (Wow just Wow)

* Final Swing - Good to see and right up their with Spidey 1 & 2

Bad points
* Peter & Gwen (Don't get me wrong, I though it was much better handled than how Raimi did Peter & MJ but their was way to much focus on this relationship and it wasn't necessary to over do it at times it felt like I was watching early days of clark & lana from "Smallville" agrh.)

* Dr. Conner's /The Lizard, I'm sorry but their was to much similarities to Doc Ock and Norman Osborn from Raimi's, In his character and motives also the absence of Martha & Billy Conners should've been addressed and would've made a much more justifiable reason behind Curt's purpose to re-grow his arm. Also while I get realistically it not plossible for The Lizard to keep on the white trench coat, It would worked . The duel personality of The lizard taking to Conners as the beast take over was to much like Osborn talking to The Goblin in the first movie.

* Richard & Mary Parker (While nice to have been seen this time around, they weren't needed.)

* Elements of Batman more so than Spider-Man in the film

* Wise-Cracking Spidey- Not enough

* Absence of Characters - JJJ, Harry Osborn, Martha & Billy Conners

* Oscorp genetic spider - Ultimate Spider-Man influence
** The spider bite on the back of the neck

* Music - The music tried to capture Elfman's style and failed

* Elements from Spider-Man (2002) - The film seems to draw alot from Raimi's film and while I realize that is to be expected it may be a big part of the reason my enjoyment of this film wasn't so high .

My Ranking in spidey films
1. Spider-Man 2
2. Spider-Man
3. The Amazing Spider-Man
4. Spider-Man 3

I won't be seeing this film a second time until the blu-ray release.

And there's only one Spider-Man scene I really enjoyed. The carjacker scene. After that mostly everything looked like the Raimi movies. Clumbsy and shoddy CGI work.

yuck

I think you and I saw different movies. The way Spidey moved and fought in this movie is different and better than Raimi's series. And the cg was good to great in most scenes.

I've glossed over a few reviews, don't want to be too spoiled, but I've gathered that Peter doesn't have his wrestling career this time around. I understand there's a nod to it with the inspiration for his mask, but I am wondering about the burglar.

Does Peter have an opportunity to stop the burglar before Ben's killed?
Or is it just guilt that he wasn't there, and had the powers to do something?

If the latter, I think it looses some of the impact and the guilt.

Yes. He decides not to help just like in SM1.

im suprised by the amount of stuff that was cut from this film that was in the trailers

messing around with the car thief doing the cow boy and baseball stuff was cut, to my suprise

the line from the coach after peter throws the football and dents bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"