Age of Ultron The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 47

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you read the interviews it is clear that Whedon doesn't want to direct Avengers anymore. And Feige is giving another property to direct.

It's clear Joss wants to direct a superhero film with a female as the main character. I think they are giving Captain Marvel to Whedon.

That would give him plenty of rest.

In his interviews though, Whedon has lamented the fact he hasn't created anything original in 5 years. Captain Marvel may be a woman, and Whedon may be a feminist but that doesn't mean the two are a perfect, or even particularly good match. There are also rumours they are looking for a female director for CM.

There may be a curveball coming, but I think Whedon's done with heavy lifting for Marvel now. I'm sure he'll consult and offer opinions on things if they ask because him and Feige are good friends, but I seriously doubt he's lining up another property.

What did joss say about it?
Basically said it was sexist for the female CEO (Bryce Dallas Howard) to be shown as the stereotypical stick in the mud, female executive while implying that all she needs in her life is a care-free, handsome rogue (Pratt.) I think some feminists can go a little overboard (Whedon especially) in thinking that women shouldn't be stereotyped into stiff caricatures when women like Howard's character do exist in real life and them being shown isn't a knock on all women. I also feel that given what we know about the characters in the film from interviews and the brief overview of characters, what Pratt says to her isn't all that misplaced since it seems she's only really concerned about the bottom line of the business, not the safety and science behind what they've created.

During SNL tonight, I believe I saw another new TV spot for AoU. It went fairly quick but one of the most memorable bits in it was Hulk seemingly atop the Hulkbuster in flight, batting away replacement parts that were coming to fix it.

Last edited:
This is what I was talking about.

An exhausted Joss Whedon was putting the finishing touches on Avengers: Age of Ultron just a few weeks ago when he spoke with Entertainment Weekly for their current magazine issue. And among things they discussed was the fact that he will not be directing nor writing the third and fourth installments, Avengers: Infinity War - Part I and Part II. “Every movie I have ever made has been an ensemble piece of increasingly enormous proportions,” Joss Whedon told EW while sitting next to Marvel Sudios honcho Kevin Feige. “That many balls in the air, it’s only going to get bigger with Infinity War. I’m not going to be able to give it what I would need to. It’s a young man’s game.”

While doing an impression of Al Pacino in The Godfather, Kevin Feige said to Whedon, “Just when you think you’re out, you get pulled back in.” Which prompted the Age of Ultron director to point his finger at the Marvel producer, and quip: “That’s the other reason I’m not making a third one.
”

I think he is being offered Captain Marvel. Remember that Marvel Studios is not only looking for minority or female directors for Black panther and Captain Marvel. They are looking for any director that has what it takes to fulfill that role.

Omg if he really does CM marvel..I will be so damn happy. ...and get kelly sue deconnick to help with the writing. .that would be even more awesome!

Joss Whedon is too good to be stuck doing nothing but comic book adaptations, I want him to do some more of his original stuff, and if he wants to pepper in some marvel or dc stuff later then so be it, but to go from age of ultron to captain marvel would be a shame.

Junket photos from Day Two

tumblr_nmnogaCH0z1rt0jkuo1_1280.jpg

Only RDJ can get away with wearing jogging bottoms with a suit jacket.

Joss Whedon is too good to be stuck doing nothing but comic book adaptations, I want him to do some more of his original stuff, and if he wants to pepper in some marvel or dc stuff later then so be it, but to go from age of ultron to captain marvel would be a shame.

Working with any studio must be frustrating for a director as they don't have 100% control of their work. I understand him wanting to do something different. I also think he's probably exhausted and wants to work on a smaller project or spend time with his family in the immediate future.

Agreed. It sounds like he has made two awesome Avengers films and proved to the world it can be done well. That's a huge achievement and hopefully it will lend him some clout in terms of making something new. A Netflix series or something would be pretty rad, plus he has been putting off his Warren Ellis collaboration for years, I would love to see what that looks like!

I think Joss will end up doing something down the road. Once hes chilled out from AOU exhaustion.

Pretty sure I remember Whedon saying he doesn't know Captian Marvel very well and always had issues with her "always being on top". I don't think he should direct that.

Pretty sure I remember Whedon saying he doesn't know Captian Marvel very well and always had issues with her "always being on top". I don't think he should direct that.

What does always being on top mean? Oh right guess if he's said he's not keen then not much likelihood of that one happening.

What does always being on top mean? Oh right guess if he's said he's not keen then not much likelihood of that one happening.

Whedon likes characters with a dark past (think Black Widow) which isn't really Carol. She has flaws like anyone, but not like the characters he prefers.

I think he wants to go back to doing stuff like Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog or something. Just abstract ****.

he can go away for about 2 years to do his indie stuff and come back in 2017 to do CM? in that case, he can have his 2 years break from marvel studios. CM is only out in 2018.. just my wishful thinking though.haha

Whedon likes characters with a dark past (think Black Widow) which isn't really Carol. She has flaws like anyone, but not like the characters he prefers.

Oh is that what he meant by on top? Ok yeah have heard him say stuff like you mention.

Basically said it was sexist for the female CEO (Bryce Dallas Howard) to be shown as the stereotypical stick in the mud, female executive while implying that all she needs in her life is a care-free, handsome rogue (Pratt.) I think some feminists can go a little overboard (Whedon especially) in thinking that women shouldn't be stereotyped into stiff caricatures when women like Howard's character do exist in real life and them being shown isn't a knock on all women. I also feel that given what we know about the characters in the film from interviews and the brief overview of characters, what Pratt says to her isn't all that misplaced since it seems she's only really concerned about the bottom line of the business, not the safety and science behind what they've created.

Just saw the clip. I didn't think it was sexist. The acting of pratt and dallas howard sold me the idea that their two characters have a past that would justify that kind of dialogue.

I wouldnt go see Jurassic World if someone gave me a free pass. Not interested at all. I saw Jurassic Park, that was enough for me.

Anyone see this one?

Director James Gunn has stated previously that Thanos (Josh Brolin) was a last minute addition to Guardians of the Galaxy and that it was difficult to weave his scenes into the overall tapestry of the film. During yesterday's press conference for Avengers: Age of Ultron, director Joss Whedon and Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige disclosed that 'Guardians' was originally supposed to have even more Thanos. When asked which specific characters in Phase 2 needed to have offscreen adventures rather than featured roles, Feige and Whedon named Thanos, Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner).

Said Feige," As Phase 2 came together, Joss told me that Hulk and Hawkeye needed to have less exposure in the Phase films because he had specific ideas for what he wanted to do with them in [Avengers: Age of Ultron]."

Whedon added, "The only other character that falls into that category as well, is Thanos. [But] we felt we needed to thread him in more gently."

Feige concluded, "Yeah, there was originally more Thanos."

So we're getting a clip during the MTV Movie Awards tonight right?

I have a feeling he might ste up for Captain Marvel.

No surprises there. Whedon is of the annoying hypocritical aggression wing of the capital F feminism party. He thinks all women are superheroes. Which, of course, is no worse stereotyping than what he accuses others of doing. Some women are cowards, some are leaders, some are liars, some are saviors. But all women are complex...almost kinda like dudes. Imagine that.

No surprises there. Whedon is of the annoying hypocritical aggression wing of the capital F feminism party. He thinks all women are superheroes. Which, of course, is no worse stereotyping than what he accuses others of doing. Some women are cowards, some are leaders, some are liars, some are saviors. But all women are complex...almost kinda like dudes. Imagine that.

What nonsense. Whedon has written a wealth of great female characters of all sorts of different character, cowards, leaders, liars, you name it: he's probably written it at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"