The Avengers The Avengers Box-Office Prediction Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the good/very good reviews keep coming (like they are now), then this is gonna be a record breaker, for sure.

600 million USA and 800 million worldwide

1.4 billion baby :woot::woot:

Hmmm, it only started to feel, like an event film after HL's death.

Sorry but HL's death really influenced that box-office take. It even made the performance seem more special than it is to those who liked it. I would say that HL's death added about $300 million to the WW gross.

That is a pile of hyperbolic, argument baiting fanboy **** and you know it. $300 million? **** me, people like you really piss me off with bull **** comments like that.

Last edited:

Sorry but HL's death really influenced that box-office take. It even made the performance seem more special than it is to those who liked it. I would say that HL's death added about $300 million to the WW gross.

:facepalm:

Not surprising by your past statements.

There is no way to say for sure how much his death contributed to the box office. But yea, 300 million? I think it's safe to say not that much.

What is certain is that it contributed to the OW. TDK would no way break the record without that unfortunate piece of news and the idiotic freaks who suggested he topped himself because he became "lost" in the role of the Joker.

There is no way to say for sure how much his death contributed to the box office. But yea, 300 million? I think it's safe to say not that much.

What is certain is that it contributed to the OW. TDK would no way break the record without that unfortunate piece of news and the idiotic freaks who suggested he topped himself because he became "lost" in the role of the Joker.

I'm absolutely confident in my statement.

3 most important factors in BO gross:
- Awareness
- Mass market appeal
- Hype

Quality is only a modifier of that. Look at The Matrix Reloaded BO gross despite being vastly inferior to The Matrix.

HL's death caused the awareness and hype of tdk to skyrocket to astronomical levels. It facilitated a massive opening as well as interest from all 4 quadrants of the GA that it wouldn't of otherwise.

Then what do you think seeing this movie come and blow the opening weekend record away did to huge numbers of the GA who may not have ever gone to see it.

Not saying it was not loved by the majority who saw it.

You are a fool of epic proportions.

Look, i dislike TDK, a lot, as i'm sure everyone knows. But a film doesn't make it to a billion dollars without repeat viewings.

Ledgers death contributed to it breaking the OW record. Anyone who denies this is frankly, a muppet, and not the lovable kind.

But after that initial surge of interest people must have liked the film, otherwise it would have topped out around the 600 million dollar mark, not the billion dollar mark.

Look, i dislike TDK, a lot, as i'm sure everyone knows. But a film doesn't make it to a billion dollars without repeat viewings.

Ledgers death contributed to it breaking the OW record. Anyone who denies this is frankly, a muppet, and not the lovable kind.

But after that initial surge of interest people must have liked the film, otherwise it would have topped out around the 600 million dollar mark, not the billion dollar mark.

So am I am man? or am I a muppet? or just a muppet of a man?

(sorry I couldn't resist)

@Shadowlord X:

I suppose TDKR will have a massive opening weekend thanks to Heath Ledger's performance in TDK too, huh? :o

I like TDK (although not as much as Inception), but I do agree Ledger's death propelled TDK's OW number. However, the influence of his death to the box office gets murky after that, and I don't believe it as the main factor why TDK crossed the billion dollar milestone. However, we'll see how TDKR will fare, because I believe people will check it out initially because of its predecessor, but its quality will dictate how much it will make in the long run. I for one do not think that TDKR will be able to eclipse TDK's WW gross.

You are a fool of epic proportions.

One could argue that a person who resorts to ad hominem attacks against those with whom he disagrees instead of offering a rational rebuttal is the true fool.

scaled.php

One could argue that a person who resorts to ad hominem attacks against those with whom he disagrees instead of offering a rational rebuttal is the true fool.

One could equally argue that certain rebuttals aren't required when the original statement is ludicrous.

I would love to see someone do a fan edit of Batman Begins and Dark Knight

Basically take the Joker out of Dark Knight and fuse him into Batman Begins in some way

Make it into a 3 hour plus epic

From Nolan's movies this is what I like

Joker character >>>> Batman Begins movie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dark Knight movie when Joker is not around

This is amazing. Every thread....EVERY thread somehow manages to end up being a x vs TDK/Nolan...flippin' hell!

One could equally argue that certain rebuttals aren't required when the original statement is ludicrous.

And insults are never required, nor should they be tolerated. The Avengers forum is generally a civil place, but posts like yours are aimed at destroying that civility. That is absolutely unnecessary.

And insults are never required, nor should they be tolerated. The Avengers forum is generally a civil place, but posts like yours are aimed at destroying that civility. That is absolutely unnecessary.

Oh please, don't make out like I'm trying to destroy anything. He made a foolish comment and I called him out on it. People like that piss me off to no end.

This is amazing. Every thread....EVERY thread somehow manages to end up being a x vs TDK/Nolan...flippin' hell!

That's why I like to stick to the single character threads more, they're alot more relaxed. :cool:

The Heath Ledger inflation arguments can be settled once TDKR comes out.

I remember Heath Ledger performance as the Joker was already highly praised BEFORE his death. Specially by on set people, like Michael Caine. I remember reading quotes about it.

However is very difficult to know if the box office was altered by that event. Like Iceman said, TDKR will give a different perspective about it.

Oh please, don't make out like I'm trying to destroy anything. He made a foolish comment and I called him out on it. People like that piss me off to no end.

You do realize that your stance here is in direct contradiction to what you've been saying in the Critics' Review thread, don't you? There, you derided as "rabid nutbag fanboys" anyone who takes issue with negative reviews on Rotten Tomatoes because every critic is entitled to his or her opinion. Here, you have attacked someone, one might say rabidly, for expressing an opinion with which you disagree and which "...pissed [you] off to no end". Surely you can see where that is more than a little hypocritical, unless you admit that you have acted like the very definition of the "rabid nutbag fanboy" you so dislike.

TDKR will make big money because it's the finale to the Bat trilogy and TDK made a billion dollars. You can't say "Well TDKR made big money without the death of a star" doesn't work that way.

Ledger's death contributed to the OW of TDK at least, this much is undeniable. What is also undeniable is that the film must have done something right to get all those repeat viewings.

And it's not just Ledger, it's the character he was playing. Batman vs Joker is a pop culture event in it's purest form.

There's absolutely no way to know what impact ledgers death had on the box office. Pretending to have insight on this matter, which of course partially validates some other opinion you hold, just makes you sound like a jackass. I'm sure ledgers death had an impact on the box office total. What that impact was is completely unknowable. My two cents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"