Age of Ultron Early Avengers 2 Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't explain at all why Furious 7 would be no 3 movie of all time. It's not even the best FF film let alone to be in the company of films like Titanic, Avatar and Avengers.

Having said that this is going to be one hell of a year for Universal.

Fox is the studio in the worst position this year. They were no 1 in market share last year and they are likely going to fall to 6th place and possibly single digit market share, exactly where they were in 2013 in what will be one of the biggest studio free falls ever.

Even Sony is in a better position with Spectre.

It's got to be the kind of action that the new overseas markets love. And I guess the action is a bit more unique than superhero and robots. That trailer shot of the car going from one skyscraper to the next probably added a few hundred million in those markets. :woot:

It's got to be the kind of action that the new overseas markets love. And I guess the action is a bit more unique than superhero and robots. That trailer shot of the car going from one skyscraper to the next probably added a few hundred million in those markets. :woot:

I'm just curious if some bozo is going to try that.

I remember there was a similar scene in Transformers 4, which was to me, the highlight of the movie, where the Whalberg, Daughter and her boyfriend had to jump the car out of a building onto a ramp. I guess it comes to people liking their car chases, especially OTT car chases, which Michael Bay is famous for, and it would explain why his movies have been doing pretty good over seas.

And with TFA they could well have another entry in there soon. By the time Episode IX and IW2 are done Disney is going to have a very strong showing at the top.

To paraphrase Harlan Ellison, nobody ***** with The Mouse. :cwink:

Two things that are really mind-blowing to me are how FF7 is making so much money and how Mad Max has such a ridiculous RT score.

I honestly don't understand why! I feel so contrarian that it's making me uncomfortable :funny:

I'm just curious if some bozo is going to try that.

I remember there was a similar scene in Transformers 4, which was to me, the highlight of the movie, where the Whalberg, Daughter and her boyfriend had to jump the car out of a building onto a ramp. I guess it comes to people liking their car chases, especially OTT car chases, which Michael Bay is famous for, and it would explain why his movies have been doing pretty good over seas.

Yeah, I didn't really think of it that way for some reason but Transformers films have plenty of (crazy) vehicular action (beyond being robot material) and those films have always done very well in those markets. I guess Cap better get practising for some better motorbike stunts. ;)

Two things that are really mind-blowing to me are how FF7 is making so much money and how Mad Max has such a ridiculous RT score.

I honestly don't understand why! I feel so contrarian that it's making me uncomfortable :funny:

Not really contrarian my friend as hardly anyone predicted either. :cwink:

When TF4 made as much as it did overseas, you can pretty much throw out quality as a factor the foreign markets care about. Perhaps the films being overdubbed, they don't care as much about cheesy dialogue as we Americans do, and lines about the "Romeo and Juliet laws" probably go over their heads. They just saw a quirky films with lots of explosions.

I think AoU is doing well in China and doubled what A1 made there and is now the highest grossing MCU film in China.

OW it did $182,400,000. Not sure about its first full week.
Oh so a lot higher. Thanks. I hope this can get $300m there.

That scene probably added few hundred million in American markets as well.

When TF4 made as much as it did overseas, you can pretty much throw out quality as a factor the foreign markets care about. Perhaps the films being overdubbed, they don't care as much about cheesy dialogue as we Americans do, and lines about the "Romeo and Juliet laws" probably go over their heads. They just saw a quirky films with lots of explosions.

I think AoU is doing well in China and doubled what A1 made there and is now the highest grossing MCU film in China.
And plenty of gas left. It was 95% capacity over the weekend on the lower number of screens it had.

That scene probably added few hundred million in American markets as well.
It's only making a few hundred millon altogether in US markets! Still a nice boost from the last film though.

Furius 7 needs another 29,9 mil to outgross Avengers. I dont think thats hapenning given the fact its nearly out of theaters in almost all markets.

I guess we ll have to wait and see. Either way its fine.

AoU seems to be on par or slightly ahead from Furious 7 on all Overseas markets.
(China still remains to be seen though)

Its definately making 1,0-1,1 bil OS and has a decent change for 1,15-1,2 bil

So 1,5-1,65 bil WW is probably where it stops.

Marvel Studios should really consider creating Directors cut versions of their films. There are several MSU films where I think they would view better with certain footage added, AoU is one of them.

Last edited:
This is so offensive.

Agreed. Especially considering the sort of grosses terrible movies have had / continue to have over in the States. Why blame everyone else? It's not like the rest of the world is some taste leader for the US to blame. If anything, if a bad movie does well in the States, it often bodes it'll do as well, if not better in foreign markets.

I think the language barrier and poor quality dubs mean the visual can be more important in some of the overseas markets.

In it's entirety, one of the more ironic posts I've seen on the matter of box office.

FF7's reviews are slightly better than Age of Ultron's on the whole so the lack of quality argument means nothing unless you think that people overseas are also idiots for seeing Age of Ultron in droves.

Can we please stop pretending that Age of Ultron's reviews are as good as the original's? They are not.

FF7's reviews are slightly better than Age of Ultron's on the whole so the lack of quality argument means nothing unless you think that people overseas are also idiots for seeing Age of Ultron in droves.

Can we please stop pretending that Age of Ultron's reviews are as good as the original's? They are not.

But....they should be.

Some are, some arent.

Some of you people really need to learn that quality has nothing to do with box office. Some crap will make billions and some great stuff will make billions. Neither have reviews anything to do with quality nor, most of the times, box office. At best reviews might be a factor in the mix. At best.

Its called HISTORY.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm talking about films like these and Transformers in general regardless of reviews. Huge epic action seems to go down well in those markets whether well reviewed like the first Avengers or more mixed like AoU as the rest of what it's offering can be lost in the dub and language barrier. I can't imagine the Chinese dub of TDK would give an equivalent Oscar winning performance to Heath Ledger for eg. Especially if it was an MCU translator on the job. :woot:

I don't know about anyone else but I'm talking about films like these and Transformers in general regardless of reviews. Huge epic action seems to go down well in those markets whether well reviewed like the first Avengers or more mixed like AoU as the rest of what it's offering can be lost in the dub and language barrier. I can't imagine the Chinese dub of TDK would give an equivalent Oscar winning performance to Heath Ledger for eg. Especially if it was an MCU translator on the job. :woot:

Well, Chinas own cinema has a lot of very action packed movies, many of them really succesfull, wheter its martial arts or modern times actioners, its not a mistery, i think, that they might like big action more than some.

I mean. FROM THE COUNTRY THAT BROUGHT YOU JOHN WOO... Yeah. They like it.

I get and understand that Avengers reviews are higher than those for Age of Ultron. I liked the first one better myself. But regarding reviews though and using Fast & Furious series as an example, here is my point...

When it comes to FF7 though, I see a RT score of 82% when F6 IMO was better and had a RT score of 69% and F5 which I feel is the VERY best F&F film of them all and it has a score of 78%.

That’s why I feel FF7 is getting a pass because of Walker’s death. People can feel I’m off or wrong and that’s fine and their opinion, and like what’s been stated quite a few times it doesn’t diminish what AoU is doing and like I said before I don’t even really consider it a bad thing (I’m glad FF7 was Walker’s send off instead of like “Brick Mansions” as that would have sucked).

But there is nobody on the planet who is going to convince me F7 is a better movie then F5 even though FF7 has a way higher RT score, no way in Hades.

As far as the issue of “quality” though, what people enjoy is what they enjoy and be it some person asking deep questions, two space ships shooting each other, two robots fighting each other, a costumed person hitting another costumed person in the face through a building, or a awesome car making a awesome stunt from a building to a ramp in a airplane, it’s all good as long as people enjoy it.

The F&F series is/was fun (I hear they are going to keep going with it) and it has a following, so it’s fine if you don’t care for that type of film and that’s your right, but it shouldn’t be dismissed as a lesser series simply because it’s focus is to tell a fun/exciting story you don’t care for as others apparently do and that’s enough of a justification and doesn’t need to be proven further, just respect others are different.

Well, Chinas own cinema has a lot of very action packed movies, many of them really succesfull, wheter its martial arts or modern times actioners, its not a mistery, i think, that they might like big action more than some.

I mean. FROM THE COUNTRY THAT BROUGHT YOU JOHN WOO... Yeah. They like it.

But also if a Chinese actor gives a world beating performance in a Chinese film they might appreciate that without a language barrier or terrible dub while its quality might be lost on non-Chinese audiences if the dub to other languages was terrible. Pretty much every country likes the big action but I think you're more sensitive to plot and acting when the film is in a language you know or the performance of the translated actor is comparable to the actual actor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"