The Avengers Box-Office Prediction Thread - Part 7

Discussion in 'Marvel's The Avengers' started by Thread Manager, Jul 20, 2012.

1. cofphoto Registered

My Wife and Son and I are going to see it again tonight. 12 times for me, 10 for my Wife (who btw wanted to see it on Mother's Day, for the 4th time) and 7 for our Son.

Seeing it in RPS 3D for $5 - can't beat that. We are also seeing Spiderman before Avengers.

And FWIW, Avengers is still playing twice a day at one local theater. WHen was the last time a movie was in theaters for FOUR months?

2. HopeOfTheFuture Registered

Does the re-release have any extra scenes or so?

3. Xeno That's America's ass!

It will probably make a bit more than that by the end of its run. The Avengers is still going strong in Japan, where it has made over $36 million so far. This weekend, it dropped by only 3% in Japan, which is astonishing. It could total over $50 million there by the time it closes, which would put it closer to $1,515,000,000 worldwide. Give or take a few yen. :word:

4. TheVileOne Registered

The movie likely passes $620 million domestic now.

5. rashad Hype Board Junkie

It wasn't a re-release. Same film just re-expanded into more theaters.

6. warhorse78 Registered

Not too shabby for a movie many thought would make that much, WW.

7. HopeOfTheFuture Registered

Okay, thanks. I got the impression they changed a some stuff because a few months ago there were rumours about an extended cut in theatres, and few days ago SHH posted a banner and "stay thought the credits" stuff.

8. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

The final benchmark has been crossed! Congrats ladies & gentlemen, shows over (till 2015 when new records will be set). :woot:

9. Bruce Malone Registered

I wonder how many of those 7 people in the poll above who predicted the final tally acurately a) voted before the film started blowing up with its debut and b) were actually serious and not just trying to vote for the highest total posted there?

10. Xeno That's America's ass!

According to Box Office Mojo, The Avengers has made $620,266,000 to date, having made $2,416,000 over the 4-day Labor Day weekend. Now people at the boxoffice.com forums are rooting for the film to make the 3X multiplier for its $207M opening weekend, $622.36M. That would be a spectacular accomplishment since many blockbusters are heavily front-loaded.

As someone who has posted in this thread from the beginning, I can assure you that the higher predictions were made in the beginning, months before the film opened. While I only predicted $1B ($1.1 in the comments), that was on the first day the poll was up. Many supported their predictions by posting in the thread. The poll became inoperable after a couple of parts of the thread had been filled, long before the movie even had previews.

The really intriguing question is, How many of the people making low-ball predictions were doing it out of spite or ignorance? Some honestly believed what they voted, of course. But the seven people who voted half a billion dollars or less? What were they even thinking? :doh:

11. herolee10 No More Miracles

As I recall..I remember on how Alexei B. said in this thread that he'd be shocked or something to that effect if the Avengers made it past 800 Million and that the only reason why it'd get that far is because of the popularity of the Iron Man franchise and not so much because of the other films.

12. Vartha Mod of Thunder

lol it RE Released HERE. Para Norman bumped Avengers out of the theaters here. Hoping MAYBE to see it once more. Beginning of the month is tight money wise.

13. Silver Surfer Power Cosmic

1.5 billion huh? Clearly the general audience is tired of Superhero movies, I mean isn't that what GL fanboys tried to feed us last year?

14. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

My favorite is the "the exact same people went to see all the movies, so nothing but Iron Man will matter!"

15. Aztec Registered

While hindsight makes that statement look absurd for sure, it really wasn't that illogical before the film came out. (FYI I predicted 1Billion+). Despite the Avengers hype, and despite the fact that they were great films, Cap, Thor, and Hulk didn't live up to Iron Man's status so there was little reason to believe aside from faith (that many of us here shared..but it certainly wasn't universal) that this film would do too much more than Iron Man.

16. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Its not that, so much as, even if only 10% of the people who went to Cap, Thor, and Hulk were people who didn't go see the Iron Man films, that alone would add a decent chunk to the gross for Avengers. They may not have done as well as IM, but other than Hulk, they did decently. . . and they did not draw *identical* crowds.

17. marcvader Lurker #1

It was absurd thinking that the Avengers wouldn't at the least experience an increase from IM money. I had predicted $900 mil for the record.

18. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

WOOOOOOAAAAAH.

The Avengers is # 12 on the daily BO. It LEAPFROGGED SPIDER-MAN and is only 6 places behind TDKR! MINDBLOWN

19. Pond Registered

The problen never really was to get it right or wrong; it was impossible to foresee it being such a jugernaut. The problem was the sheer arrogance of some posters laughing at people who thought diferently than them and now have been proved right. ;)

I dont care for people underselling it, but ist funny now to remember al those "Only a fanboy would say something that stupid; it will never happen."

And it never... OH! Wait! :word:

20. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

The really hilarious thing is seeing the same sets of people now say that Avengers wasn't *that* extraordinary a success, it just benefited from inflation and the growing foreign market. First its impossible, then its improbable, then its inevitable and always was. ;)

21. Vartha Mod of Thunder

I just can't believe Avengers is still in theaters with the dvd coming out in other contries. lol Making movie on the Silver screen AND DVD/Bluray sales.

Wonder if there's a record for THAT? Simultaneous ticket sales at theater and Store sales.

22. rashad Hype Board Junkie

It's not the first time that's happened with a film. I doubt there's a record kept for it. lol

23. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Yeah, that happens all the time.

24. Xeno That's America's ass!

The Avengers is creeping ever closer to making three times its domestic opening weekend gross. Considering that it pulled in $207M in its OW, it would be a phenomenal accomplishment for it to make the 3X multiplier ($622.32M). As of now, TA is $1.492M from that goal. It might just make it by the end of its run in dollar theaters. Well done!

25. Whiskey Tango Registered

I'll admitdespite supporting the film heavily I never expected this kind of juggernaut. I missed the poll closing but would likely have voted in the $700 or $800 million slots.