The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.
But where was the socio-political commentary that reminds us of how depressing the real world is?!?!

;)

The characters smile?!? They don't speak in quieted tones and hushed voices like everything is all serious?!? No! What's up with that? Where is OWS in all of this? How dare they! They need to convince Mark Ruffalo to commit suicide or else this'll never be as good as TDKR.

I still laugh at the idiots that are complaining about not enough story being given out in the 30-second Superbowl spot and the 60-second teaser that followed.

WTF are some of you on about?

Nolan's movies have flaws; people just ignore them because the overall product is so good. Flaws stick out more in a mediocre movie.

This. When we're getting into a movie, we start to like it so much that we're willing to ignore flaws, or notice them and not care, like me during some of Mission Impossible's scenes (How the hell does Ethan hit his head on the Dubai building and not have a concussion or at least a huge bump? Especially considering he had a concussion earlier in the movie). But alas, I went all Mils Lane in Celebrity Deathmatch.

images

WTF are some of you on about?

I think they're saying that every series doesn't have to be dark and serious. They can just be fun and escapism, in which I definitely agree with.

It just seems like some people want superhero movies to be dark and to some extent, depressing. The tone works for Batman and I mean no offense to that series, but I'm really glad Marvel is going that route with the their movies.

Yea i was just screwing around really, making fun of the people who think that a movie that doesn't have deep, socio-political themes is inherently bad or shallow.

You can have depth without going that route. For example I think (and hope) Avengers will have some great character work.

Steve Rogers: A man out of time, coming to terms with this strange new world and the fact that his loved ones and friends are long gone. Also perhaps dealing with him being an American icon long thought dead, feeling the pressure of living up to that mantle.

Tony Stark: Further developing into a more mature, responsible guy who now realises that he can't be THE man all on his own. Maybe suffers an inferiority complex about Rogers, whose exploits were spoken about by his dad.

Thor: The conflict that comes with his brother, who he still loves, trying to destroy Earth. How does he deal with him? What does he think about someone else dealing with him, in lethal fashion?

Bruce Banner: Finally accepting that the Hulk does have a place in the world and that he can be used for good. Learning to control the beast within and becoming a real hero.

And of course all of them working past their differences to form a team that will save the planet!

That's the kind of stuff i want to see. It's a lot to pack in there, so like i've said all along, this film needs to be well over 2 hours.

Last edited:
Yea i was just screwing around really, making fun of the people who think that a movie that doesn't have deep, socio-political themes is inherently bad or shallow.

You can have depth without going that route. For example I think (and hope) Avengers will have some great character work.

Steve Rogers: A man out of time, coming to terms with this strange new world and the fact that his loved ones and friends are long gone. Also perhaps dealing with him being an American icon long thought dead, feeling the pressure of living up to that mantle.

Tony Stark: Further developing into a more mature, responsible guy who now realises that he can't be THE man all on his own. Maybe suffers an inferiority complex about Rogers, whose exploits were spoken about by his dad.

Thor: The conflict that comes with his brother, who he still loves, trying to destroy Earth. How does he deal with him? What does he think about someone else dealing with him, in lethal fashion?

Bruce Banner: Finally accepting that the Hulk does have a place in the world and that he can be used for good. Learning to control the beast within and becoming a real hero.

And of course all of them working past their differences to form a team that will save the planet!

That's the kind of stuff i want to see. It's a lot to pack in there, so like i've said all along, this film needs to be well over 2 hours.

Add in an alien invasion that pits six heroes (some non-super-powered) against tens of thousands of enemies, major cities laid waste and the fate of humanity in the balance and you've got a very dark scenario indeed. Of course, it's a scenario straight out of science fiction, but that's the genre The Avengers falls under.

Interesting that both films have action pieces set during the day time.

They are gonna have a hard time trying to justify Stark not handing over his tech to the military after the Avengers, after all, they were worried about some other country developing a suit of armour for their military, and now they have an all out alien invasion...they are just gonna have to skip right past that whole IMII plot point if they don't want an army of Iron-Men spoiling Im's uniqueness.

Maybe that will be a plot point of IM3? After the aftermath of this near apocalypse it's gonna be even harder for Stark to keep his tech out of the governments hands.

Or maybe, he becomes Director of SHIELD and implements his tech with them in a kind of compromise?

Maybe that will be a plot point of IM3? After the aftermath of this near apocalypse it's gonna be even harder for Stark to keep his tech out of the governments hands.

Or maybe, he becomes Director of SHIELD and implements his tech with them in a kind of compromise?

Aye, this is what I mean though, no matter how you plot it, if there ends up being an army of Iron-Men out there, it takes away from IM's unique quality as a superhero.
It'll be interesting to see how they address it, since it was such a big plot point in IMII, but, y'know, I suspect Shane Black is just getting on with creating a good superhero yarn, he maybe shouldn't tie himself up in knots trying to address that point, because, it is problematic I think, I don't know how they could bypass that plotpoint, and keep IM's unique quality.

edit: like, i am all for keeping logic and continuity in there, but if it is truly problematic, they shouldn't let it get in the way of whatever superhero/villan plot they have come up with for the third movie.

Last edited:

Both good suggestions.

What would also be cool for the third movie is Tony going rogue, and SHIELD hunting him down.

I think it's fair to say trailers may be great indications of tone but not depth. TDK trailers still highlighted the explosions and one liners. One of the best scenes in TDK could never go in a trailer.

Thanks to that extended trailer, I'm now looking forward to Avengers just as much as TDKR. If MIB3 and Spidey don't suck than this will be a great Summer.

So, the Avengers superbowl spot was exactly what it needed. Amazing. And I think it has all the things to make it another Transformers. In terms of spectacle and mass appeal... hopefully not in terms of quality!

If the Avengers is basically a Transformers film with the non-Transformers parts (ie 99% of all Transformers films) replaced with Marvel subplots... well, that's basically the most awesome summer blockbuster.

I think there's a new player in this game after seeing that new Spider Man trailer.

Mods, please rename this thread The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises vs The Amazing Spider-Man please, that trailer is too good to ignore.

Well this thread is nearly duel for the Thread Manager anyway so I agree. Close and reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"