The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

Yikes…This suit is “interesting” for sure. I’m somewhat surprised that I don’t see many of the usual complaints. I mostly see people just happy about the trunks. If you Supes fans are excited about the results, that’s cool.

I wonder if that's Solaris in the background? Or Perhaps brainiac?

Couple of small tweaks here and there and this would be the perfect live action Superman suit IMO

Near perfection. If Gunn gave people something closer to this, the majority of fans would be overjoyed instead of the polarizing reaction we're seeing now. You'll never please everyone, but why go so hard down the different route when they make these style choices blows my mind.

maxresdefault (1).jpg

You are probably right...but until I know for sure I choose to believe!!

200w.gif
Gunn's caption is: "The above photo was taken on set by Jess Miglio [?] and was entirely in-camera."

:shrug:

Kinda mixed feelings about the suit. I like the cape and perhaps the trunks. I don't actually mind the collar. Overall the picture isn't that great IMO, reminds me too much of fanmade and even AI pictures.

That's what makes me wonder if this isn't a misdirect and it isn't actually a clone like, say, Ultraman. I usually roll my eyes at those sorts of theories in relation to promotional materials (especially this early into the process), but the collar and the miserable look on his face instantly brought to mind images of Injustice and even the more traditional comic-book images of Zod.
I gotta be honest, this film has the entire DCU riding on it, and this image doesn't wow. ( not the suit itself, but the whole setting, him setting down, leaning, causing the material to be bulky, etc does it no favors )

Edit. After further thought. I'm gonna believe this was a very early image, and the suit that we get in the film, will look better. Maybe this was a first fitting, and Gunn wanted some shots.

Last edited:
Final thoughts: I love the chest emblem and colors, but that's about it. I think the materials, coupled with the rough texture and lines make the suit look very militaristic.

The combination of trunks and high collar never really made sense to me. My impression is that the high collar was an attempt to modernize the classic suit. Adding the trunks back but keeping the high collar makes the suit look off (see: fortnite superman). It's neither here nor there; it doesn't look like the classic friendly Superman suit (because of the high collar) but it also doesn't look modern (because of the trunks).

It's feeling quite hard to separately process two things - 1. The suit itself, and 2. The tone/narrative shown in this image.

I'm not loving the tone at all. It feels staged and jarring. If the window had just been an every day Metropolis daytime skyline, it would have worked better IMO.

I'm not loving the grimy smudges on the suit. And the sad face. Just... a weird choice for the first look?

Not loving the collar. Never been a fan... but I guess ill get used to it. Its already growing on me a bit after the initial shock and dissapointed feeling, because it was hard to distinguish between this and fan art.

That said, I do love the colours, the hair is perfect, and David looks good in it to me at least.

God twitters gonna suck isn't it...

Has there ever been a superhero film where people have not said “maybe the suit will evolve over the course of the film” upon the initial reveal?

Aside from Batman 89 I can’t think of one.
I'll admit I am in denial and holding out hope for that a bit. Part of what makes me think there is a chance is that he first shot we get of the this suit is heavily battle damaged. Given that the film was originally titled Legacy and is about Clark dealing with his competing heritages makes me wonder if there will be a moment where he replaces this Kryptonian suit with something that is a better balance of his two heritages.

Yes, I know it is crazy wishful thinking, but I must hope. The colours are great though.

Let's start with David's hair, which I love. I'm quite pleased that we have Superman's curl back and that it looks more natural.

Now the suit:
I like the colors
I think the emblem works well
I don't mind how the suit fits him and seeing all the folds and creases.
I dig the texture.
I dig the boots.
As of right now, I don't feel strongly one way or another about. the seams/ lines on the suit.
Not feeling the collar, I think Superman looks so much better with an open neckline.
I'm of two minds about the trunks. On the one hand, I'm glad to have them, on the other hand, I think this design would work better without them. High collars and trunks don't mesh for a close-to-classic Superman design imo.

Maybe this suit is more Kryptonian than homemade. As if it might have belonged to Jor-El and Clark finds it in the Fortress.

Thank goodness, this thread was getting annoying.

Calling it now: that's not the final suit.

I gotta be honest, this film has the entire DCU riding on it, and this image doesn't wow. ( not the suit itself, but the whole setting, him setting down, leaning, causing the material to be bulky, etc does it no favors )

Is this what we're really getting for a first reveal Of a 200 million dollar film that has everything riding on it? Really.

The whole image screams amateur.
I could think of a dozen settings off the top of my head that would have made this suit look a 100% better.

This image won't make or break the success of the film, but your overall point is spot on. Given the state of the DC on film and public perception, everything they need to do right now needs to "wow" the audience. You know what they say about first impressions being the most important.

This was a misstep. Everything about this image and suit feels off. I mean I keep looking at it and man, folks are right, that thing is really bulky. Just look at the opening of his sleeves.

It truly does feel like a Guardians of the Galaxy suit with a Superman aesthetic.

I’m also not commenting on what’s outside the window because I actually don’t think we’re getting this shot in the movie. I think the set had a green screen and they put something non-spoilery up there for the photo.
Gunn commented on Instagram that it is all in camera so perhaps not.

Twitter is already crying about how much they prefer the Snyder suit. Ahh yes, the colorless bland Snyder suit.
I just love how the basic concept of this image is one we couldn’t have gotten with the Snyder suit. I adore that, because it says so much about this approach. This is a guy in his apartment getting dressed for work, which it looks like it’s gonna be a stressful day of. :hrt:

Oh wow, I'm pretty shocked this is the first reveal. Not crazy about it, sadly. I expected his hair to look different too. I'm still excited for it, but I definitely was hoping for something different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"