• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

The way to break that cycle is to go away from what you did before. They need to build on a new foundation. You don't stop divisiveness with one big action...American Politics has been showing that the last 4 years ya know. You start small and build. It might not seem to work on the micro level, but it does on the macro level. If you go for the big win you risk the "oh look another big reveal that goes nowhere" reaction overshadowing everything. The end of the DCEU was like that. They need to slowly get the audience there.

And first impressions don't matter if what comes next works. The first impressions of plenty of characters have been fumbled and the movies were still very successful and vice versa. First impressions are just boilerplate water cooler style talk. If the film works then the trailers and the next reveals will make this obsolete. (or put it in better context which will be my guess)

We need to get past the PTSD of the DCEU. I am not big James Gunn super fan (no pun intended) but he is better at this than anyone else WB put in charge previously. That doesnt mean it will work, but the previous regimes would have gone into "spin" mode already over this and he isn't. That tells me there is something behind this worth waiting for. The general audience will come along for the ride if Gunn gives them a reason to.
I totally agree with all of this. I really do feel JG won't have a lick of trouble bringing us a well made; well liked Superman film. I also feel he's going to surprise a lot of fans and enter ballsy territory (but landing on the emotion). I have my worries and my sense of urgency as a Superman fan is at an all-time high. I will always acknowledge that until I am shown things will work out in the long run.

Realistically, and first and foremost, I just want a great Superman film and to hell with everything else. On the flipside, I also crave healthy perspectives on its success. It's not that this first reveal is DOA. That's silly to suggest. It's just a bummer to see it being torn to shreds everywhere you look. Instead of a fresh start, the reaction just seems like it's one big continuation of discourse. That's been exhausting to me. JG and the marketing will rebound though. There's a lot of eyes on this thing and as you said, people care about Superman. It just goes to show how tough of an icon he is to master with every microcosm of a move. Gunn is somewhat of a top tier character guy that has seen major successes, but this type of backlash proves he'll be in a fight with a beloved IP that had its share of shortcomings. I feel that's a great thing for all parties involved, but scary nonetheless. I'm mainly just glad they're swinging with Superman again. That can't go unstated. I'm grateful he will have another cinematic chance this soon.

I feel like discourse of any kind is good for the film at this point, because it’s well before actual marketing and footage and the stuff that will legitimately convince people whether to expect a good or bad movie from it is released. They’ve got PLENTY of time to sway people over to their side, but right now, at this stage, the important thing to generate is awareness, and discourse can only help with that.

I feel like discourse of any kind is good for the film at this point, because it’s well before actual marketing and footage and the stuff that will legitimately convince people whether to expect a good or bad movie from it is released. They’ve got PLENTY of time to sway people over to their side, but right now, at this stage, the important thing to generate is awareness, and discourse can only help with that.
The brightside is, the next showing is destined to be automatically better, and I want it to be great. Almost a year out from this thing. Wild. Marketing is going to hit hard soon. Teaser footage isn't too far away as well.

Maybe Gunn is playing 4D chess and released a bad picture on purpose so the imminent paparazzi pictures look better by comparison.

Well going forward, I hope the marketing emphasizes Corenswet's natural charm and warmth , and while I get what Gunn was going for in the first image, even just showing Corenswet's Superman standing upright smiling goes a ways in distinguishing him from the previous version.

It communicates alot

1715374857542.png1715374897307.png
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f2d666846756a627473455f5143773d3d2d3933333531323130382e313632393335353432353161363936323630303039303930373934362e676966

I appreciate the idea of showing such an iconic character looking stoic right out of the gate , but Superman is also welcoming and reassuring , something that the last version certainly didn't exude.

It's something George Reeve, Chris Reeve, and Tyler Hoechlin were very good at imo.
Of course , they all had their serious moments , but they're all charmers , and you could see why people would be drawn to them.

When you have an actor who can convey that easily , you exploit it to the max in the marketing .

The film will do alot of the heavy lifting for sure, but as far as the marketing goes, show us the guy who ends up winning over the world with his charm and personality.

That's frankly what I would like to see in the next .

Well going forward, I hope the marketing emphasizes Corenswet's natural charm and warmth , and while I get what Gunn was going for in the first image, even just showing Corenswet's Superman standing upright smiling goes a ways in distinguishing him from the previous version.

It communicates alot

View attachment 90035View attachment 90036
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f2d666846756a627473455f5143773d3d2d3933333531323130382e313632393335353432353161363936323630303039303930373934362e676966

I appreciate the idea of showing such an iconic character looking stoic right out of the gate , but Superman is also welcoming and reassuring , something that the last version certainly didn't exude.

It's something George Reeve, Chris Reeve, and Tyler Hoechlin were very good at imo.
Of course , they all had their serious moments , but they're all charmers , and you could see why people would be drawn to them.

When you have an actor who can convey that easily , you exploit it to the max in the marketing .

The film will do alot of the heavy lifting for sure, but as far as the marketing goes, show us the guy who ends up winning over the world with his charm and personality.

That's frankly what I would like to see in the next .

Yeah, that's another issue that I had with the first photo. I don't know about others, but the photo didn't do justice in showing David's natural charisma as the character.

Based off just that one photo, I don't pretend to have any firm impressions of what the film itself will be like.

But within the context of fans having screamed themselves hoarse at suffering through a pretty joyless and downtrodden Superman for the past few years, I just think it was really quite an odd move to have the first reveal show Superman with a pretty joyless and downtrodden expression on his face, that's all.

I do kinda wish the first official image he had a bit of a smile/more optimism, just to set it apart from the last Superman a bit more.

Eh. Its one image compared to 2 whole films of Superman being pretty down and dull. The head creative is what will set it apart.

Eh. Its one image compared to 2 whole films of Superman being pretty down and dull. The head creative is what will set it apart.

I agree. I fully expect this Superman to be much more like the way he's been mostly represented in the comics. I just wish that we got a little of that in the first reveal. It's not that big of a deal. Just something I would have liked to see.

In the context of a Superman film, I’d ordinarily assume this is just an Easter egg, but with Metamorpho in the cast…

Last edited:
I need Lex Luthor randomly thanking a fictional character as if they were a real person.

One of the good things a director like Gunn got going for him is how he has a pulse on what the GA and critics alike; like. It's extremely hard to tell at this point to what the studio will deem a success for these next crop of DC films; especially Superman. My gut tells me the studio will be happy with $500-550 mil WW at the rate the last handful has gone at the BO. I'm not so sure as of yet if the expectations are to hit between MoS and The Batman type numbers. We're still way aways from that collective, but that will be extra interesting nonetheless.
I think it will need ( at the least ) to bring in 500/550 million ww, but more importantly, it needs to have a good reception from the fans/public, and critics.
The hunger for more superman films ( and the dcu as a whole ) needs to be there afterwards.
We desperately need a batman begins type of situation with this..

Last edited:
Well it is tough to know what it will need without knowing the true budget, but I agree with the premise. This film needs to be like Iron Man or Begins...it doesn't need to break BO records or be a huge mega blockbuster (though it would be nice :rofl: ) it needs to be something that gets people on board for more.

Yeah. Like I personally feel like it will need something close to $600mil worldwide to be seen as a success, but that’s just a shot in the dark. We have no idea the numbers WB is targeting because we don’t have all the info they do. I just know it needs to be well-received regardless. If it’s as poorly-received as Supes’ other cinematic outings of the last couple decades, forget about it.

Tomorrow marks one week of the image and they still haven't filmed outdoors... Do you think it will be filmed outdoors this week or was the image just shown because Gunn felt like it?

I feel like it HAS to gross more than MoS for WB to see it as a success

Kinda wild to think we're probably only about 8 months away from the Teaser Trailer.

I feel like it HAS to gross more than MoS for WB to see it as a success
Nah, that was a different time. MoS came out at the CBM peak, when the DC name was riding as high as it’s ever been thanks to the TDK trilogy, had Nolan’s name all over it and was perfectly primed to be a near-billion dollar smash…if people had liked it. These days, any CBM’s chance of financial success is like 50/50, and DC is coming off a string of colossal failures, so it’s got a massive handicap, which is probably a good thing. If this movie is well-received AND profitable, they should be happy, because that will signify the brand getting back on track.

It definitely has to have better LEGS than MoS, though. So say it opens lower (very likely) but ends up making close to the same by the end of its run, that would be a HUGE win, as it would indicate audiences actually liked it and would come back for more.

The audience for the DC brand won’t return overnight. They gotta build it back.

If Superman gets anywhere close to MoS numbers, that would be a massive hit for the studio. It's hard to tell right now, but I'd guess the early projections within the studio would take $500-$550 million as a success givin the new age circumstances. I just hope they don't get spooked by films like Deadpool and Wolverine where they throw out all BO logic expecting those types of massive numbers that movie is destined to bring in. The CBM is known to be a frontloaded phenomenon, but Gunn's films tend to be leggy. GotG3 started off okay and its legs were extremely long. Maybe he can conquer that with Superman. The critics and audience alike enjoy his CBM's.

Last edited:
It certainly needs to finish better than DC’s last few movies, that’s for sure. $500mil worldwide seems like a nice conservative benchmark, though I suspect they’ll have their sights set a bit higher. That said, I think if it had an 80%+ RT score, an “A” or “A+” CinemaScore, and a sub-50% domestic box office drop on its second weekend, they’d be more than satisfied enough with that $500mil to greenlight more. Assuming it doesn’t have a $300mil budget of course lol.

It certainly needs to finish better than DC’s last few movies, that’s for sure. $500mil worldwide seems like a nice conservative benchmark, though I suspect they’ll have their sights set a bit higher. That said, I think if it had an 80%+ RT score, an “A” or “A+” CinemaScore, and a sub-50% domestic box office drop on its second weekend, they’d be more than satisfied enough with that $500mil to greenlight more. Assuming it doesn’t have a $300mil budget of course lol.
Oh, definitely. I don't think the budget will be that high. Seems like Gunn is going more of a practical direction on set rather than 95% CGI. He captures those moments nicely without relying too heavily on technology. Rumors are they are spending money on this film, but I'd think they will keep the budget around $205-210 mil or so for Superman. JG did some big things in TSSquad and that was only a $185 mil budget with a large influence on practical sets.

Just the idea he made a life size prosthetic Man guy parks and rec whose name I can't think of makes me think we will get some good practical effects.

I just want the flying to look amazing. There are tv adverts out there that look better than anything we have seen in films. Bloody do it Gunn!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"