The Flash The Flash Costume Thread - Part 1

The muscle padding on the 90s suit reminds me of those Halloween costumes from Target, not gonna lie.
Yeah it's definitely not as good as the original. I suspect the entire costume was constructed differently.

Loooooove that 90's Flash suit (and seeing JWS in it again), even if it is a different slightly one. So much better than whenever the hell that thing Amell is wearing.

Could they just not give Gustin the 90's suit only with a different cowl and gold boots?

Loooooove that 90's Flash suit (and seeing JWS in it again), even if it is a different slightly one. So much better than whenever the hell that thing Amell is wearing.

Could they just not give Gustin the 90's suit only with a different cowl and gold boots?

The new suit needs be thrown in the trash. How difficult would it be to make a suit similar to the 90's one, but with a less exaggerated muscle suit?

grant_gustin_the_flash_03_by_christopher_nico_by_orangeasgard-d6zua14.jpg

44590850_479118429261184_6800692783179890688_o.jpg

Even with a bigger build the new Flash suit doesnt work. Grant looks super skinny and this pic makes Amell look bloated.
Yeah, they both look off to me.

Looking at pictures of the 90’s suit it was definitely a better sculpt than the suit they’re using for the crossover, though part of that could be JWS’s physique.

I cant take my eyes off Amell in that suit - he looks like the Flash in the old '97 JL tv movie.

The new suit only needs minor changes to look 10x better. There's nothing wrong with the way it's made or what it's made of, it just needs minor changes and they have to not shy away from using actual muscle padding. All of the problems with the suit are simply cosmetic.

I bet the new suit looked awesome in concept art.

Looking at pictures of the 90’s suit it was definitely a better sculpt than the suit they’re using for the crossover, though part of that could be JWS’s physique.

Yeah....this is still my favorite Flash look.
DwErPoa.jpg

I think the problem with the 90's suit (which I still think looks great btw) is that it was absolutely infernal for JWS to be in, not to mention very restrictive in terms of movement (I can imagine any solidly padded/sculpted suit would be more restrictive to a a degree). That's probably part of the reason for why the "new" 90's suit looks a but different/less defined.

That being said, I think they had a good middle ground with the older seasons suits, I don't know how they could screw up so badly with this new one.

The problems with the suit start with the fabric. For me, the leather suit was by far the best. Fabric just doesn't look good for a superhero suit. The next is all the odd paneling. They are supposed to emphasize the body lines, but those on the new suit seem to follow no pattern at all and just flatten out the contours. Then there's the cowl...
The loss of the chin piece reveals how top-heavy it is, meaning it looks like he has a fat head!
You know Cisco is only saying it looks good just to make Barry feel better. He knows he could do better!

I think the problem with the 90's suit (which I still think looks great btw) is that it was absolutely infernal for JWS to be in, not to mention very restrictive in terms of movement (I can imagine any solidly padded/sculpted suit would be more restrictive to a a degree). That's probably part of the reason for why the "new" 90's suit looks a but different/less defined.

That being said, I think they had a good middle ground with the older seasons suits, I don't know how they could screw up so badly with this new one.

I prefer all of Grant's suits (even the current Hector Hammond one) over the '90s one because they look more like a runner's body suit. Make no mistake, I adored the 90s show, horrible special effects and all, but the suit made JWS look like a Defensive End. He even said that he had the designers make some alternations to make him look slimmer and more streamlined.

Thing is though, it could only ever be as slim and streamlined as the coolant system allowed.

Anyone think we'll ever see a different Reverse Flash costume at any point? Barry has been active for five years now, and we've seen him with five different costumes. Thawne has been seen in each season of Flash, and yet always with the same costume.

One would think (during his time) he'd have updates his attire from time to time too, to suit the situation, the tech, or simply because he fancied something a little different?

I have a feeling that Amell is wearing his ‘jammies’ costume and not his real one. It’s an emergency and he has to haul to get to the battle. Problem is he can’t remember where his real suit is so he wears his pyjamas which is the next best thing. He tells others that this is his stealth night-suit. San Diego or next kid’s birthday party, here I come!!

Anyone think we'll ever see a different Reverse Flash costume at any point? Barry has been active for five years now, and we've seen him with five different costumes. Thawne has been seen in each season of Flash, and yet always with the same costume.

One would think (during his time) he'd have updates his attire from time to time too, to suit the situation, the tech, or simply because he fancied something a little different?
Did this latest suit add anything beyond the ring? Thawne, on the other hand, has been shown to be very resourceful without a suit, so it makes sense why his only attire change was the logo on Earth X.

I agree with Thome2016, and most people too, it's all about the head.
I like the new suit, I think it's fine. The last one was terrific but this one is fine. There's only oneproblem with it I think, and I see this as a problem not just a difference of taste : It's the cowl. The loss of the chin piece is ok but it allowed the cowl to fit Barry's head. With the new collar and without the chin piece, the helmet makes Barry like he has a bubble head or so. Like Captain America in the first Avengers.
In Avengers, they corrected it by opening the collar and making it wider and it give the impression of a wider neck so the helmet looks fine.
I think tere are 2 ways of doing it : making the neck wider like Captain America, OR making the helmet thinner like JWS's costume.
I'm not working for the show but I think it would be a very wise idea to change it through the season. Because the suit is fine but this looks off.

Did this latest suit add anything beyond the ring? Thawne, on the other hand, has been shown to be very resourceful without a suit, so it makes sense why his only attire change was the logo on Earth X.
Yeah, I never quite got that either, nor did I like it. I don't see why they couldn't have simply had an Earth-X Speedster and why they needed it to be Earth-1 Thawne. Bit lazy on the writing there. If we can have an evil Kara and evil Ollie, why not (another) Thawne? Eddie Thawne perhaps? Heck, could have even switched it up and had a good Eobard.

Yeah, I never quite got that either, nor did I like it. I don't see why they couldn't have simply had an Earth-X Speedster and why they needed it to be Earth-1 Thawne. Bit lazy on the writing there. If we can have an evil Kara and evil Ollie, why not (another) Thawne? Eddie Thawne perhaps? Heck, could have even switched it up and had a good Eobard.
They'd have an evil Barry. They switched it up to not be so lazy.

They'd have an evil Barry. They switched it up to not be so lazy.
They'd have been better off with an evil Wally, or evil Jay Garrick to be honest.

They really need to get rid of those ridges on the sides of his head. Or at least move them up to where they would actually be on a human head. That’s one of the things contributing to the bobble head look I think.

Then give the cowl a chin strap - that goes *under* the chin, not in front of it, and then maybe give the neck the slightest bit of padding (like a 1 cm layer of foam in the collar or something) and then it's basically fixed from the neck up.

Last edited:
Fans got it wrong this time.. The original maroon shade of red they had looked significantly better than this shade of red we have now. I now that transition was in large part to fans wanting a more classic look, but it does not translate well to live-action.

What we have now is a really bad cosplay looking suit with a terrible sculpt for the mask. They need to keep the general design here for the body but go back to a darker shade of red and bring back some type of chin strap. Gustin's chin and jawline are not strong enough without that. It looks terrible.

Has the new season started already? Has this new costume debuted? I'm shocked they didn't realize it looked that bad before filming.

Fans got it wrong this time.. The original maroon shade of red they had looked significantly better than this shade of red we have now. I now that transition was in large part to fans wanting a more classic look, but it does not translate well to live-action.

What we have now is a really bad cosplay looking suit with a terrible sculpt for the mask. They need to keep the general design here for the body but go back to a darker shade of red and bring back some type of chin strap. Gustin's chin and jawline are not strong enough without that. It looks terrible.

Has the new season started already? Has this new costume debuted? I'm shocked they didn't realize it looked that bad before filming.

Yes, the season has started, and the shade of red looks absolutely fine on the show. The suit is not perfect but the colour isn’t a problem - far better than the almost brown of the first few seasons.

Yes, the season has started, and the shade of red looks absolutely fine on the show. The suit is not perfect but the colour isn’t a problem - far better than the almost brown of the first few seasons.

I respectfully disagree. That bright red is god awful. I would offer a compromise, a slightly brighter maroon red. But that darker shade of red looks considerably better. Just look at Arrow's costume, a dark green, or even Kid Flash's with that more golden mustard yellow. Those shades look better on screen.

W/ the new red and the terrible mask sculpt, this is easily the worst comic book tv show costume now. I include Marvel's Netflix shows, CW's Heroes, and Titans on that list (keep in mind on Titans, it's been leaked on confirmed the costumes eventually come and are significantly better) Which is a shame because from what I know (I haven't watched the show in since season 2) they improved the overall suit, included a white symbol and it was looking great.

W/ the new red and the terrible mask sculpt, this is easily the worst comic book tv show costume now. I include Marvel's Netflix shows.

Iron Fist's never-quite-a-costume look was far worse than the bobblehead cowl. Likewise Solomon Grundy and the impending Bane on Gotham look like they belong on some cheesy, 70s kids show.

Last edited:

I like the bright red of the costume, but like pretty much everyone already said, the cowl is bad. It looks like it's a size too big for Gustin.

The problem isn't just the bobblehead look, also when he moves his head the fabric folds, creating an "opening" to the side of the neck area of the costume. I think it would probably look better if it matched his jawline, and was a bit tighter around his neck. It all just seems too loose.

I hope that they'll fix it, but I'm not sure since this is supposed to be his "ultimate" suit from the future

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"