The Flash The Flash General Discussion and Speculation Thread - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, someone is clearly not able to handle some critique, which is what I did expect, so no surprise there. Nothing of my post did break any rules, I did not insult, said something hateful, sexist, demeaning or anything of that kind. You clearly just don't like when someone points out that what you're doing is pretty shady and without any base, but sure, why not. You're an admin and apparently that kind that makes uncomfortable posts they would rather not face just go away. Good for you.

Again this reminds me of boards from the 2000s era that weren't so keen on certain topics they didn't side with so they made up rules on the spot and loads of people left in a year span. I like coming here but I hope it doesn't turn out that way. I could understand moderating a fight but there wasn't one. We're only discussing in a general discussion board. I'm one of the few who actually discuss why I dislike the character I don't like in her own thread which is dead right now. Very few people do it.

For those who may actually enjoy a superhero show and not a soap opera, Legends is returning on Monday. Who knows, maybe we'll get another appearance by our fluffy, blue lord and savior. :woot:

To keep this on topic, I just hope the finale doesn't end with Devoe nabbing Barry's body, but I wouldn't put it pass them.

I do! I keep hoping this show comes back to its senses and gives us more battle moments between Barry, Caitlin and Cisco. I can't wait for Legends also. Great tie over until the break is over.

Well, thanks for taking the time to reading what I wrote. And it seems indeed that I misunderstand your initial post, that doesn't change that I feel that your are cherry-picking when it comes to what is allowed to post on a general discussion board simply because you don't like the topic that is discussed. That is not really the idea of a board in general, especially one that is about a show in general. As I said, write in the title that no 'insert name of person here since I don't want this post to be deleted again' seeing that otherwise the title is pretty much misleading. Maybe we should start calling the woman in question "she who must not be named"? ;)

That's fine by me, though, as you've said, there are other boards about, and I'm really only here for the entertainment.

There's only a handful of us left. I still love the show and want it to come back. It helps to admit when a character does something stupid. Letting personal feelings get in the way of people discussing new things regarding a badly written character doesn't feel healthy to me. Just seems to drive the traffic further away.

Last edited:
Y’all are welcome to feel that way, but we know what we’re doing, and all you have to do to follow the rule is simply talk about anything else Flash-related while in this thread. It’s not hard. Continued refusal to do so will result in deleted posts and disciplinary action taken.

I've pretty much checked out on Flash. My hope is that next season they'll consider ditching the big bad/mystery over and entire season format and go back to the old school style of each episode being its own thing.

I actually think a show like the Flash could benefit from that old format in which each episode has its own plot and villain and isn't bound by some big bad or mystery that lasts throughout 24 episodes.

Sitcoms still do it the old way but a lot of serialized shows have now fallen into the model that Flash has.

I've pretty much checked out on Flash. My hope is that next season they'll consider ditching the big bad/mystery over and entire season format and go back to the old school style of each episode being its own thing.

I actually think a show like the Flash could benefit from that old format in which each episode has its own plot and villain and isn't bound by some big bad or mystery that lasts throughout 24 episodes.

Sitcoms still do it the old way but a lot of serialized shows have now fallen into the model that Flash has.
Blame Buffy. She started the whole "1 Big Bad per Season" thing. I'm not opposed to it myself, but execution is key. I thought they had a good thing going this season 'til they "killed" Devoe. I liked having a non-speedster villain, but they needed to give The Thinker a better evil plan that didn't involve killing himself and therefore losing the season's strongest asset. And now that Barry's already out of prison, that huge sacrifice basically only gave us three episodes of plot, lol.

I think having an overall enemy throughout the season is good and necessary but these shows just don't know how to execute to it.

Devoe created a whole bus load of meta's, at least one of them should've been a "general" who dealt with TF for part of the season. Though I suppose you have that in Amunent.

Blame Buffy. She started the whole "1 Big Bad per Season" thing. I'm not opposed to it myself, but execution is key. I thought they had a good thing going this season 'til they "killed" Devoe. I liked having a non-speedster villain, but they needed to give The Thinker a better evil plan that didn't involve killing himself and therefore losing the season's strongest asset. And now that Barry's already out of prison, that huge sacrifice basically only gave us three episodes of plot, lol.

I wonder how much AK has influenced any of this....his departure and therefore departure of those ideas that might have been started before, but are now done.

I have a feeling on both Supergirl and The Flash, any things that started from his creative ideas have been trashed in order to keep his name off the credits except in the Created By portion.

That is what we have been doing. :)

Actually no.....whining about said topic that needs to be taken to it's proper thread is still a problem.....No one here has said you can't talk about this or that....simply don't saturate every thread with the same conversation.....take it to that character's thread, really simple, not rocket science....so move on.....Bigger smile :yay:

The monster of the week is way too popular to abandon so I don't think they will abandon it. Berlanti is formulaic, sure, but he makes better choices than AJK, who is the definition of beating a dead horse. Glad he's gone, maybe it still has a chance. I keep hoping they shorten the seasons to 10-13 episodes so we focus more on the stories/characters than filler.

The monster of the week is way too popular to abandon so I don't think they will abandon it. Berlanti is formulaic, sure, but he makes better choices than AJK, who is the definition of beating a dead horse. .

Well, I'm not talking about abandoning the monster or in this case villain of the week. That's been the standard for westerns, sci fi, mysteries etc since the dawn of Tv. If anything , I'm talking about going back to the way tv shows were from the 50s through the 90s.

What Berlanti and others have done involves having the big bad basically dictating the storylines for the whole season as opposed to season being an anthology or collection of separate stories taking place over the season.

I was really disappointed when they "killed" Devoe. I thought that actor was great and I was actually moved by his relationship with his wife and the devotion they had to each other. Then they replaced him with a guy who couldn't really act that well.

But yeah, Buffy started it back in the day. Ah, the 90s.:yay:.

One reason I think the Big Bad format worked better for Buffy is that the Big Bads weren't always out to get Buffy. In fact they usually weren't. I'd argue the two best ones (The Mayor and Glory) wanted absolutely nothing to do with her. They had their own things going on which eventually led them to crossing paths with Buffy. Flash's villains all have these elaborate plans to ruin the life of nice guy Barry Allen for some convoluted reason or another. Just seems like they should have lives and goals that don't involve Barry, lol.

I haven't watched an episode since the crossover. It seems to have been the right decision.

One reason I think the Big Bad format worked better for Buffy is that the Big Bads weren't always out to get Buffy. In fact they usually weren't. I'd argue the two best ones (The Mayor and Glory) wanted absolutely nothing to do with her. They had their own things going on which eventually led them to crossing paths with Buffy. Flash's villains all have these elaborate plans to ruin the life of nice guy Barry Allen for some convoluted reason or another. Just seems like they should have lives and goals that don't involve Barry, lol.
They seem determined to to try and recapture what worked with season 1, without realizing both why it worked and doing it with a much more ugh Barry.

For sure. Same with Arrow. They seem to have a hard time coming up with reasons for the villains to be in Central City or want something in it. With it being meta city central, it should draw attention from various people wanting to gain its secrets, power. It's a shame they took 2 of his biggest rogues from him.

I wonder how much AK has influenced any of this....his departure and therefore departure of those ideas that might have been started before, but are now done.

I have a feeling on both Supergirl and The Flash, any things that started from his creative ideas have been trashed in order to keep his name off the credits except in the Created By portion.
I've wondered about this too. Both of the recent episodes of SG and TF have had dramatic shifts, hack-like in changes. Barry getting out of prison and Ralph having shape shifting powers felt so random and tacked on. Suddenly Imra and Mon-El have problems and they had an arranged marriage and Imra has a secret mission and Alex is so hearbroken over Maggie that she's having a breakdown mid-interrogation and Kara's acting like she should be singing to baby birds and Mon-El's been trying to avoid Kara, what. It makes me think TF isn't gonna be as quality as it was.

Last edited:
Well, I'm not talking about abandoning the monster or in this case villain of the week. That's been the standard for westerns, sci fi, mysteries etc since the dawn of Tv. If anything , I'm talking about going back to the way tv shows were from the 50s through the 90s.

What Berlanti and others have done involves having the big bad basically dictating the storylines for the whole season as opposed to season being an anthology or collection of separate stories taking place over the season.

I don't see the powers that be owning up to what worked back in the day. They have to adhere to the over saturated ideas of the 90s and basically reboot them in a watered down fashion. Wishful thinking though.

He was also still in charge during Season 1 after that he left to make other projects. Now that he's back I still choose him over AJK any day since that man is a hack as a writer and personally, a pervert kept on the dole way too long. The latest episode 4x13 is an indication that Berlanti is at least trying to bring Barry Allen back to what he was meant to be and grow his character from there. True Season 1 vibes, it's a start.

Last edited:
I've wondered about this too. Both of the recent episodes of SG and TF have had dramatic shifts, hack-like in changes. Barry getting out of prison and Ralph having shape shifting powers felt so random and tacked on. Suddenly Imra and Mon-El have problems and they had an arranged marriage and Imra has a secret mission and Alex is so hearbroken over Maggie that she's having a breakdown mid-interrogation and Kara's acting like she should be singing to baby birds and Mon-El's been trying to avoid Kara, what. It makes me think TF isn't gonna be as quality as it was.

I'm thinking totally opposite....I think both shows will be the better for it. As not to get into a Supergirl discussion here, suffice it to say, I think the Imra/Mon-el thing is not a change that is what was probably planned from the start. What I think is happening on both shows, is now they are now totally out of the shadow of AK and they are now bringing in new story lines, not necessarily overhauling the entire show.

I'm thinking totally opposite....I think both shows will be the better for it. As not to get into a Supergirl discussion here, suffice it to say, I think the Imra/Mon-el thing is not a change that is what was probably planned from the start. What I think is happening on both shows, is now they are now totally out of the shadow of AK and they are now bringing in new story lines, not necessarily overhauling the entire show.
If the previous episode of both shows are any indication, I don't see the benefit, with the hackiness and melodrama to me. Not that I'm arguing for Kreisberg's return, for obvious reasons, but I think it's possible his departure might not have positive side-effects for these shows.

I don't see the powers that be owning up to what worked back in the day. They have to adhere to the over saturated ideas of the 90s and basically reboot them in a watered down fashion. Wishful thinking though..

I could see them doing it , especially if they thought the current formula wasn't working. This show business and they really aren't as dogmatic about concepts and formulas as people tend to think they are.

They're about what will work and what will make them money whether its old or not. Its an industry built on recycling old ideas so its not as if they're above going retro.

That said, CW has a formula with these shows and has tended not to mess with them that much so its unlikely they'll change it.

Again this reminds me of boards from the 2000s era that weren't so keen on certain topics they didn't side with so they made up rules on the spot and loads of people left in a year span. I like coming here but I hope it doesn't turn out that way. I could understand moderating a fight but there wasn't one. We're only discussing in a general discussion board. I'm one of the few who actually discuss why I dislike the character I don't like in her own thread which is dead right now. Very few people do it.

There's only a handful of us left. I still love the show and want it to come back. It helps to admit when a character does something stupid. Letting personal feelings get in the way of people discussing new things regarding a badly written character doesn't feel healthy to me. Just seems to drive the traffic further away.

I'm always surprised when I see such behavior from Admins, tbh. There has to be a certain requirement they have to fulfill before they are allowed to do such a job, even if it is only something they do for free. Making up rules nilly-vanilly because they don't agree with another person and are in the position of power to just make them shut up never speaks well of the people in charge. I don't so much have a problem with them getting fed up about talk regarding you know who (haha, she really became Voldemort x), but doing so from one minute to the next under the threat of deleting post and 'preliminary actions' is just a ridiculous way of handling it.

I don't think that people left this forum because of its quality or how it is handled, though. The show really has become hard to watch for many people, especially people like me who were hoping for it actually being about the Flash and seeing him grow as a hero and having adventures instead some rom-com bs with much of the focus being spread on a too many supporting characters. I guess, I just wanted something closer to the actual comics, but it is CW, so I suppose I should not have expected anything else.

Actually no.....whining about said topic that needs to be taken to it's proper thread is still a problem.....No one here has said you can't talk about this or that....simply don't saturate every thread with the same conversation.....take it to that character's thread, really simple, not rocket science....so move on.....Bigger smile :yay:

Actually yes... they were... since discussing the flaws of a character is not the same as... whining.... and you totally said you.... would delete post and threaten people with .... dire consequences should they proceed to talk about the.... the person... in question.

The unnecessary dots and awkward wording aside, trying to demean other people's opinion by calling those whiny is a rather questionable thing to do. I get that you are obviously fed up about the topic in question, but try to handle it like an admin is supposed to. You are here to regulate the forum so people can discuss whatever the topic of the forum is about, not to insult people or try to force your opinion on them.

And "bigger smiley"? Really? You are an admin, don't try to provoke an argument or childish behavior like that, you are clearly in the better off position here. It is easy to insult or antagonize someone when you can just kick them off the forum if you don't like their response.

I could see them doing it , especially if they thought the current formula wasn't working. This show business and they really aren't as dogmatic about concepts and formulas as people tend to think they are.

They're about what will work and what will make them money whether its old or not. Its an industry built on recycling old ideas so its not as if they're above going retro.

That said, CW has a formula with these shows and has tended not to mess with them that much so its unlikely they'll change it.

I don't think they are apt enough to handle change. What's original and well thought out isn't always the popular norm, it may garner respect but they would find it hard to abandon those formulas they rely so much on.

I don't think that people left this forum because of its quality or how it is handled, though. The show really has become hard to watch for many people, especially people like me who were hoping for it actually being about the Flash and seeing him grow as a hero and having adventures instead some rom-com bs with much of the focus being spread on a too many supporting characters. I guess, I just wanted something closer to the actual comics, but it is CW, so I suppose I should not have expected anything else.

Basically and there is nothing much to love about the show, what is formally/still adored is being sidelined for things we never asked for. It's a struggle to digest every week when there are many other things to devote time to. Wanting something closer to the comics is the definition of dare to dream. We won't get it. Which is why the poorly written Westallen should be buried and gone so the show can focus again. They have no obligation keep it since the writers often change their minds of how much of the canon to use or if any at all. What hasn't worked since the start is Iris, now that she has fulfilled love interest quota, there is no purpose left for her on the show. Her death and the break up of her "relationship" with Barry will save the show immensely. Writers need to just pull the trigger.

For me the show clearly hasnt gotten back to season 1 quaity as i never expect them too as that first season was lightning in a bottle. This is still a decent season by all regards but like season 2 til now they have focused too much on supporting characters to where the flash has taken backseat. The team really should be just caitlyn, cisco and wells with joehelping once and a while given he is the connection to law enforcement. Ralph is ok but adding him and iris full time to the team just adds too many characters to focus on and the writing suffers. Devoe started out really good but now its laughbly bad how he can just switch bodies now at will and the actors whose bodies hes taking over just arent as good as the original actor. Bottom line less characters and shrink the team down a bit and for god sakes less pep talks between characters, killer frost ralph scene in his apartment was awful.

For me the show clearly hasnt gotten back to season 1 quaity as i never expect them too as that first season was lightning in a bottle. This is still a decent season by all regards but like season 2 til now they have focused too much on supporting characters to where the flash has taken backseat. The team really should be just caitlyn, cisco and wells with joehelping once and a while given he is the connection to law enforcement. Ralph is ok but adding him and iris full time to the team just adds too many characters to focus on and the writing suffers. Devoe started out really good but now its laughbly bad how he can just switch bodies now at will and the actors whose bodies hes taking over just arent as good as the original actor. Bottom line less characters and shrink the team down a bit and for god sakes less pep talks between characters, killer frost ralph scene in his apartment was awful.

Many said the same thing last year and somewhat this year with Supergirl, spending far too much time on supporting characters. This year the supporting character stories have been written into the main story much better, but they fall into that trap of shoehorning in story lines that really take away from the main character and their story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"