The Flash The Flash General Discussion and Speculation Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you have a strong point. It's not so much that Grodd is 'out there' in terms of being a gorilla, but he's disconnected from the world. There's nothing for him to do *Except* fight Flash, so he wouldn't make for a very deep villain.

I'm going to have to disagree strongly here.

Grodd is a complex character that has always had high ambitions.

New 52 spoilers
After he becomes king of Gorilla City he leads his armies in an invasion of Central City in an effort to establish himself as its ruler

In various other media, he has also:
-Been a member (and sometimes leader) of the Legion of Doom, the Anti-Justice League, the Secret Society of Super Villains, Tartarus, and the Injustice League. All were supervillain teams who were more or less bent on world domination.

-Attempted to wipe out the entire human race on at least 18 distinct occasions in the comics alone

-Attempted to turn the humans into intelligent apes like himself

There's really a ton to work with here. He's a genius, a monarch, a conqueror, a psychic, (in some stories) a former speed force conduit, etc.

I really, really hope Grodd isn't the "big bad" of season 2. I understand people's love for the character, his legacy in Flash lore, etc. But in terms of this show, I think he would work best in small doses or just a multi-episode arc that leaves things open for a return in the future.

I don't think a season-long focus on Grodd would benefit the show. Not only would it really be an "out there" subject to focus on that much, but I think him as a Big Bad would ultimately be a lot less interesting than what they've been able to do with Reverse Flash.

Frankly, I think every character will be less interesting than what they're doing with Reverse Flash.

I'm going to have to disagree strongly here.

Grodd is a complex character that has always had high ambitions.

New 52 spoilers
After he becomes king of Gorilla City he leads his armies in an invasion of Central City in an effort to establish himself as its ruler

In various other media, he has also:
-Been a member (and sometimes leader) of the Legion of Doom, the Anti-Justice League, the Secret Society of Super Villains, Tartarus, and the Injustice League. All were supervillain teams who were more or less bent on world domination.

-Attempted to wipe out the entire human race on at least 18 distinct occasions in the comics alone

-Attempted to turn the humans into intelligent apes like himself

There's really a ton to work with here. He's a genius, a monarch, a conqueror, a psychic, (in some stories) a former speed force conduit, etc.

If you're trying to show he's complex, why point out that he's tried to do the same exact thing 18 different times? He's powerful and ambitious, we all know this, but I never suggested he wasn't.

Now, certainly he could be deep, if they send Flash to the planet of the apes Gorilla City like they did in New 52, but that's not very feasible. There's no way to explore any depth for Grodd in Central City. Unlike Wells, Grodd's not capable of interacting in diverse ways with the entire cast thus developing the entire show. Merlyn does this, Slade does this. Grodd cannot. He can only fight the Flash, albeit in myriad ways, as he tries to get rid of humanity. His ambition and incredible abilities do not connect him to Central City and the Flash in a meaningful way.

A better counter argument: Ra's doesn't do this. He acts through proxies and only appears twice in the whole first half of the season. He's actually not a very deep villain. We don't know of or really care about his motivations. Maybe Grodd could be like that, a rarely seen malevolent force of nature.

Yeh, I'm wondering how they're gonna fit in his shrinking powers when he's all about the battle suit stuff.

I'm thinking he'll get his Shrinking powers around the time Laurel gets a canary cry power.

Yeh, I'm wondering how they're gonna fit in his shrinking powers when he's all about the battle suit stuff.

The suit IS what gives him the shrinking powers. That's all he's been talking about.

lxMaFFR.jpg

EW6T6L7.jpg

"[Barry] realizes, ‘Holy ****, this an opportunity to change things with my family’s past.' He doesn’t know yet to maybe not do that, but that’s where Barry’s at when he realizes what he’s just learned that he can do, that he can maybe save his mom.”

http://www.superherohype.com/news/3...l-episode-back-to-the-futureterminator-mashup

yeah I think what happened when Barry's mom was killed was that he went back in time and saved his mom but things turned out bad. And he has to go back in time and let her die and save his young self. The big question is did Wells kill Barry's mom and this in turn put the timeline back like it was supposed to be? And if so did he do it the first time? or was there another time she was supposed to die and somehow in the future he perhaps stopped the real reverse-Flash (Zoom) before he could go back in the past and kill her? Is that why he has the suit and has to rely on apparatus? Did he get those from Zoom?
The paradoxes and alternatives are confounding.

From what the article on the front page mentions, Barry's time travel exploits cause all sorts of problems (funny and bad). Hopefully it will be a great episode and leave the timeline the way it currently is - or it could change things as we know (in that universe) forever.

What if he does change the past and discovers that in the new timeline Iris has a younger brother named Wally?

what if wally west or impulse showed up sometime as a descendant of barry?

[YT]a9zMhQ7vsqE[/YT]

Recommend this youtube channel to watch after every episode

yeah I think what happened when Barry's mom was killed was that he went back in time and saved his mom but things turned out bad. And he has to go back in time and let her die and save his young self. The big question is did Wells kill Barry's mom and this in turn put the timeline back like it was supposed to be? And if so did he do it the first time? or was there another time she was supposed to die and somehow in the future he perhaps stopped the real reverse-Flash (Zoom) before he could go back in the past and kill her? Is that why he has the suit and has to rely on apparatus? Did he get those from Zoom?
The paradoxes and alternatives are confounding.
I'm not exactly a big Flash fan so I don't know much about the comic lore, but reading up about RF and the arc that they're loosely adapting for the series, and that is something I don't understand.

It seems like RF went back in time to kill Barry's mom as a way of making him suffer, but in many ways that event pushes Barry in a direction where he ultimately becomes the Flash. Now whether that last part is true or not, it seems like in the very first timeline, Barry becomes Flash while his mom is alive, but RF went back and killed her, but in Flashpoint, he goes back to save her and it prevents him from becoming the Flash, which seems to create a third timeline, but doesn't make much sense if his mother was alive and he became the Flash in the original timeline.

The only explanation that I can think of that works is that the Original RF went to an alternate timeline as opposed to the past.

So after the Grodd reveal, I got to thinking. What if Grodd is using some form of the eating brains to get smarter bit?

He could be best friends with iZombie

So after the Grodd reveal, I got to thinking. What if Grodd is using some form of the eating brains to get smarter bit?

That would be really macabre and totally awesome! I didn't think i'd get so amped over a gorilla but man was that cool.

This was my fav episode by far. The action was solid, the humor was spot on and everyone had incredible character moments. The scene with his father at the end was tear jerking to say the least and had a whole passing of the torch vibe to it. From one flash to another so to speak.

I also loved the Caitlin stuff. Her character opened up here and I like the dynamic between her and Barry.

A ton more to talk about, here are my full thoughts :D

http://otlnews.net/2015/02/04/the-flash-review-s1-ep-12-crazy-for-you/

The only potential issue with Grodd is money-related. From a budget perspective, can they make him look good if/when he finally is a major force? In this episode, they got around that by mostly keeping him in the shadows. Also, as of right now he feels rather disconnected to everything else that's going on. RF, the Rogues, etc all kind of feel tied together. But then Grodd shows up and, while it's cool, it also felt kind of awkward to be because he's just off doing, whatever he's doing, seemingly unconnected to anything else.

I just hope that the show ends up doing better with Grodd's character than what Smallville did with this "guy":

822-Doomsday-5.png

I thought it was pretty good until the ending.

I just hope that the show ends up doing better with Grodd's character than what Smallville did with this "guy":

822-Doomsday-5.png
I hope they don't let Grodd talk.
Do him like the Hulk in live action.

I'm glad that they don't seem as ashamed of Grodd as some of the so called fans (many who don't even read comic books) on the internet seem to be.

I don't see how they can do Grodd properly on a tv budget. I'm keen for them to try though.

Oh and the Hulk analogy is probably the worst one you could have chosen. In most ways they are polar opposites. Thanks for playing though.

Grodd has to talk. The only way I could feasibly see them doing it another way is to have him communicate with people telepathically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"