The Flash The Flash-Season 1-Episode 20-"The Trap"

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but am I the only one assuming that the Flash vanishes event is because he travelled back in time to save his mother? Because if that is true, and future Barry is no longer in the same timeline, it only means he went back to his own timeline leaving Wells here, but that wouldn't explain why Wells is always so happy to see that in april 24, 2024 Barry disappears? Maybe he should ask Gideon to show what happens in april 25

Wells/Eobard was happy the headline went back to normal because, at that point in the series, he was still trying to get Barry to increase his speed because, as we now know, he needs to siphon the Speed Force in order to maintain his own powers so he can get back to his own time. So when Flash briefly lost his powers, it meant no Flash, no speed, and no future for Wells/Eobard. As he said, he needs Barry to become the Flash first where he's fast enough to break the time-barrier in order for him to get Barry's speed and then kill him.

I'm not sure I understand the "What happened to the Future Flash?" question.

I'm assuming that at some point in the near future (that is, the next couple of episodes), Barry travels to the past and has the encounter with the Reverse Flash at the time of his mother's death. There could be a few possibilities:

* Barry fails to save his mother and comes right back. A variation on this is he overshoots or undershoots his arrival time and has an adventure or in the past or in the future on his way back.

* Barry saves his mother and possibly the original Harrison Wells and creates a new timeline -- basically a similar approach to Flashpoint in the comics. This could lead to a realization that he has to let his mother die

* Barry saves his mother and again maybe Harrison Wells too and the timeline basically ends up with very little alteration.

* Another possibility would be that Barry saves his mother and HW and bring them back to the future after faking his mother's death. Thus, there are no real timeline changes. Everybody, including Barry, believes his mother was dead for 15 years.

EDIT: Hmm. It appears that when people are talking about what happens to Future Flash, they are referring to Barry's disappearance in 2024 -- which I have to admit, I have never seen as a short term question. At least not one that I expect to see answered in the first season and who knows if the creators have a full answer at this time. They probably have several ideas in mind but have not locked one of them down as the definitive answer. From a comic book fan's point of view, it simply came across as a reference to Crisis on Infinite Earths in which Barry Allen "died" and merged with (or become) the Speed Force.

Last edited:
Well, its easy to miss the part where Cisco said speedster, its not like they emphasized on it.

Sorry but it wasn't hard to miss at all. And yes they emphasized it that was the whole point of having Barry test the forcefield out, because he's ya know, a speedster. Good lord people really do not pay attention. Sorry Ted but just wow I gotta :facepalm:

Sorry but it wasn't hard to miss at all. And yes they emphasized it that was the whole point of having Barry test the forcefield out, because he's ya know, a speedster. Good lord people really do not pay attention. Sorry Ted but just wow I gotta :facepalm:

Yeah, they kinda had an entire little scene about the fact that a normal person could go through the barrier but a speedster couldn't.

Exactly. I dunno what Ted was watching haha. Apparently too hard to comprehend.

oh man dug that whle scene talking about fate and how he was PISSED OFF that he had to create the flash when really he wanted to kill Barry so easy! that dude is EVIILLLLLLLL!!
all this and
GRODD!!!!
next week!!
love some flash!!
oh and hey! was it me or did it it look like Caitlin had a kinda look on her face when harrison went to look for cisco like she was in with him.....Hmmmm i wonder....

I think a lot of people are thinking 2024 Barry is the same Barry fighting RF on the night of his mothers death, but I don't believe that to be the case. I think near future Barry will be the one doing that and 2024 Barry disappeared due to something we've yet to get into.

But then again time travel confuses the hell out of me.

I'd love for this season to end with Barry saving his mom and then waking up in a totally different world, similar to the Flashpoint movie. And then the first few episodes of next season deals with those ramifications. It'd be a nice cliffhanger imo.

The only problem with that is Arrow will also be greatly altered in some fashion for a few weeks since these are going on at the same time. Although that might not be too bad of a move for Arrow since this season doesn't seem as well recieved as the prior two (I've really enjoyed it though).

I just love that with Flash I know next to nothing comic wise so every week is a new adventure for me. Can't wait to see what's waiting in these last few eps!

Just watched tonight episode man can this show get any better?

This show would suffer a lot without Cisco. He's by far the star of the show.

I never read or followed much of the flash in comics or anywhere else. I'm pretty lost with the shows direction which is why I like arrow a lot more. With that said, the shows main plot is picking up nicely, I just don't get what the reverse flash is doing. He can kill Barry right now, how does that hurt him. He could rule the current timeline and get what he wants. What exactly or why exactly does he want things to play a certain why or get back to his own timeline?????

I liked how Cisco liked the brighter red of the suit and stuff that was cool :awesome:

"What happened to Future Barry?" is definitely the one mystery left from this season, which I imagine will continue throughout the series. Although, it would be really cool if, in the last episode of this season, Barry gets a glimpse of himself from the future briefly crossing into his timeline not unlike what happened in episode 15.

...the older Flash ran BACKWARDS in time to stop RF from killing his younger self, and when RF changed the past with the death of Nora - he ceases to exist.

In episode 15 - when Barry changed the past - he crossed himself - and the other timeline and Barry was erased. Same thing.

I loved this episode! I'm really happy with the consistency in quality on this show.

I'm a bit surprised (but not surprised) about people's reactions to Iris. This was her strongest episode yet. She's figured everything out by herself. And like someone mentioned earlier, when she confronted Barry earlier and they talked about his lack of powers. She must be curious about that. And while we saw the flashback, it was Iris who was thinking about that moment. That same day she was thinking about how her figured got a tiny shock from Barry. It was on her mind, and therefore, it would have been logical that she would have put the two and two together when it happened again. It was a bit cheesy but everything on this show is. But it all works, doesn't it?

The Iris scenes were as usual, a bring down.The secret I.D reveal was one of the laziest in comic book history. Iris remembers a static electricity shock from over a year ago? :whatever:

In the comics - Iris is Barry's lightning rod - she keeps him tethered to our reality so that he doesn't become lost in the Speed Force. The spark between them is not only a nod to that connection but also a visual suggestion of the unrequited spark that exists between them. And yeah - if she's never had that spark happen with anyone else - I think she'd remember it.

Thawne had to kidnap Eddie before he proposed, otherwise he may not have existed! (Or at the very least,he would have changed his ethnicity. :huh:)

RF has said he's a distant relative - not a direct descendant of Eddie. There's no suggestion so far that he isn't just a great, great, great, great, great cousin twice removed. He's more valuable at this point as a lure to distract Barry and Joe.

If you suck all the air out of a room,won't people's lungs burst?

If you suck all of the air out of the room - you'll collapse their lungs, but long before that - Barry and everyone else would have passed out as well. Barry succeeds in extinguishing the flames and leaves everyone winded but alive.

How did Everyman get through the shield?

He isn't a speedster - and they had an entire scene explaining this - the shield was rebuilt to keep out speedsters. Everyman can only duplicate the appearance of someone - not their powers. Thus why the bullets and Everyman could penetrate the shield - but not Barry.

Why would Gideon willingly serve Thawne if she were built by Barry?

Who says AI tech that is in RF's possession is working willingly with him? Stolen AI tech that smiles when it lies to RF - doesn't sound like a willing assistant to me - more like a prisoner of RF.

I love how there was no "villain of the week" and this episode was all about pushing the main story forward. Reverse Flash it totally going to tell Eddie that Barry and Iris will someday get married, which is gonna **** Eddie's whole life up.

Holy crap, so in the original timeline Barry founded the Justice League!
He is a founding member here, that's accurate.

I love how they gave nods to the pre-crisis version of Barry in this episode.

I wrote a whole review out for this already,but for some reason,I lost it. I hope I can remember all the points I made before:

I was glad at how they were able to get all the characters up to speed & on the same page without it felling like forced exposition.

I could do without the flashbacks, though the last one was admittedly cool.

The Iris scenes were as usual, a bring down.The secret I.D reveal was one of the laziest in comic book history. Iris remembers a static electricity shock from over a year ago? :whatever:

Definitely dumb, I was hoping she would have flashbacks just like Cisco

Thawne had to kidnap Eddie before he proposed, otherwise he may not have existed! (Or at the very least,he would have changed his ethnicity. :huh:)
I don't think that's why he did it. I think it just happened to go that way. Because even if Iris said yes there's still no guarantee they would be married. Plus, if that were to change then Gideon's article of the future would not have shown Iris West-Allen. So he's probably not worried about that at all.

This isn't the first time Wells (can we still call him Wells?) used some dumb schmuck from the pipeline as cannon fodder. :woot:

This one did raise quite a few questions from me:

If you suck all the air out of a room,won't people's lungs burst?
Well technically a human could survive the vacuum of space for a very short amount of time. And the fire would be extinguished immediately. So it could potentially work but with super speed and the ability to carry at least two people at a time. You'd think Barry could get everyone out within 15 seconds at the most.

How did Everyman get through the shield?
Cisco states that he made the force field for speedsters, that's why Barry tested it out.

Caitlin seemed very endangered in "the plan". Cisco was presumably safe behind the shield and Barry would supposedly protect Joe,but what if Thawne Zoomed :-)woot:) upstairs to kill Caitlin?
Well, someone had to make sure the cameras were rolling right. Plus, how bad would it suck for Caitlyn if they just told her to go home and take the day off? Haha but if things did go down the way they were planning Caitlyn could have the opportunity to use some tech in S.T.A.R. Labs to help the team.(My assumption only)

Why would Gideon willingly serve Thawne if she were built by Barry?
My guess would be because it's just A.I.. You could assume that Gideon has no allegiance to anyone and doesn't see good or bad. Also, RF had Gideon as a "wrist watch thingie" in the flashbacks to Nora Allen's Murder. RF has seemingly stole Gideon from the Flash in the future.

Anyhow,fun ep.All the cards are out on the table for the exciting finish!

Good Questions for sure!

In the comics - Iris is Barry's lightning rod - she keeps him tethered to our reality so that he doesn't become lost in the Speed Force. The spark between them is not only a nod to that connection but also a visual suggestion of the unrequited spark that exists between them. And yeah - if she's never had that spark happen with anyone else - I think she'd remember it.

RF has said he's a distant relative - not a direct descendant of Eddie. There's no suggestion so far that he isn't just a great, great, great, great, great cousin twice removed. He's more valuable at this point as a lure to distract Barry and Joe.

If you suck all of the air out of the room - you'll collapse their lungs, but long before that - Barry and everyone else would have passed out as well. Barry succeeds in extinguishing the flames and leaves everyone winded but alive.

He isn't a speedster - and they had an entire scene explaining this - the shield was rebuilt to keep out speedsters. Everyman can only duplicate the appearance of someone - not their powers. Thus why the bullets and Everyman could penetrate the shield - but not Barry.

Who says AI tech that is in RF's possession is working willingly with him? Stolen AI tech that smiles when it lies to RF - doesn't sound like a willing assistant to me - more like a prisoner of RF.

Sorry didn't see someone else had already answered these questions. Our answers are a bit different so I'll leave mine up

I loved this episode. Mostly because RF is still one step ahead of everyone.
When Everyman was shot and he still looked like Well's I was in awe. I was trying to think how could Wells come back after that. So very good little twist on the writers part. I was even thinking to myself that someone forgot to put some CGI effects in on Well's hand while he had it raised haha.

The only thing I don't like, and this is something to do with the series overall. Wells/RF states that he wasn't quite anticipating having to use everyman quite yet. I just don't get that if he wanted to stay under wraps with the whole RF thing, why would he bring out the suit in the first place? I mean I get that he's insane in a way and that he might just want to mess with Barry's head but why use his powers if he wanted to delay the reveal? And I understand that it's a show and everything and they have to do it but at least give us a reason.
BTW I think Wells will be using more of the Meta humans against Barry and the team.

Is anyone else hoping Barry and Iris DON'T hook up?

Because that means either no Wally West, or he's Barry's son instead of his nephew.

Just a thought-I know the popular theory is that Gideon was going to say Barry was a founding member of the justic league but what if she was going to call out the new show team up-him being a founding member of that?

Is anyone else hoping Barry and Iris DON'T hook up?

Because that means either no Wally West, or he's Barry's son instead of his nephew.

I just don't want her to hook up with Barry. I like her with Eddie.

Mainly I am annoyed that we had the reveal that they marry so soon. The relationship has always felt a bit forced...even their friendship has been weird to watch, because I don't see them as being that close despite what the show has told us.

If we have to have WestAllen, I was hoping it would unfold naturally. I'm not sure that can happen now without making it seem like an obligation they have to fulfill because they've cornered themselves.

The force field penetration thing isn't as obvious as many people here make it out to be. I've rewatched the scene and this is all that Cisco said:

"I've originally designed the force field to keep a speedster in, but I've reversed it. Now it will keep one out."

Nowhere does it say that it is somehow magically coded to work only on speedsters. Indeed the most logical interpretation of that sentence is that the field is strong enough to withstand even the power that a speedster bumping into it at super speed wood excert against it. This is also the most logical explanation why Barry had to test it. If even he could not "punch" through it then it is strong enough. This does not automatically imply the other people should get through it just fine!

That said a number of sci-fi movies and stories had force fields that would excert a proportional amount of opposing force to the incoming blow and where using low velocity projectiles like arrows or knifes (Dune anyone?) would be the way to defeat them...

However even so it's kinda weird that the bullets got though...

Great episode. Eobard Thawne is one step ahead. He's really brillant, but, for me, he has done one very stupid move that may cost him a lot. He is able to prevent any problem in his plot and to play the master tactician as long as he has Gideon at his side to reveal him the future.

Ok, it's not important if his enemies now know that he is the RF, it's not as if he could be stopped by people he spied now that he is about to reach his endgame, but why letting Barry discovering and speaking with Gideon.

Since Barry will create it and Gideon has do do whatever he wants, it can have catastrophic conséquences for Thawne / Wells if Barry ordered it to show his enemy whatever false future he wants him to see to force him making a move that will be fatal for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"