The Flash The flash season 2 episode 17 "Flash Back"

if he's trying to pass as himself from a year ago, he should have switched back to his old costume

edit: ok he did take the red symbol of his younger self

Last edited:
Oof, that was some bad CG.

ETA: Oh come on Barry. You suck.

Doctor Who also used time wraiths.

To me, it's the least subtle way to handle time travel paradoxes.

But all Barry has to do is shut his trap and not give away the future and he'd be good. It's not like he's preventing a death - he knows Cisco is fine - but he does it anyway.

I like seeing Barry being able to one up Thawne mentally as opposed to physically. It's nice to finally see that rivalry of two characters who have a long history with one another (granted it's different history).

Plus it's always awesome to see Cavanagh play Thawne again.

Another break?!? C'mon! I wasn't a big fan of this episode though. The time wraith was pretty creepy and it wasn't until both Barry's crossed paths towards the end when it got real interesting. The scene between Thawne/Wells and future Barry was definitely a highlight.

Aside from some spotty CG this episode was a great one!! It hit all the right story beats and Barry is really coming into his own as a hero and as a person. Hope the writing team keeps it up.

The cgi in this episode was gross.

Overall it was a good episode but Barry changed way to much in the past in order for there to not be major changes to the present. They took the easy way out and I don't like it.

Lol, why on earth did Barry tell Cisco and Caitlin about the explosives in Hartley's ears if he wasn't supposed to mess with the past?

I wanted to facepalm when he told the others he'd seen the Time Wraith for the first time. It's like he's incapable of good decision-making at times.

Other than those things, I loved the episode. The TW was actually kinda scary, the scene between FutureBarry and Wells was great, and even Iris's subplot was quite moving.

Does anyone else think that Barry's slight alteration of the future may include Ronnie's resurrection?

Nice to see one of the side effects of Barry's time travel is getting Pied Piper on their side, hope we see Hartley again before long.

To me, it's the least subtle way to handle time travel paradoxes.

But all Barry has to do is shut his trap and not give away the future and he'd be good. It's not like he's preventing a death - he knows Cisco is fine - but he does it anyway.
the problem is as soon as Eobard saw the equation Barry was writing he was onto him not being the normal Barry he knew. the time wraith thing was all he need as as an excuse to knock him out and try and kill him but I think Eobard was planning to do that from the point of the equations.

well earth 2 wells warned him barry's just very lucky the only thing that changed was the pied piper is now with the star labs team, it seems. how that still resulted in Eddie being presumed dead still and his body is still missing is odd though. that should have changed as well.

Nice to see one of the side effects of Barry's time travel is getting Pied Piper on their side, hope we see Hartley again before long.
well we know from super girl that tachiyon harness device is what barry is using to travel reality. not sure why he can't use the time cannon.

May be it's his device to come back home like the remote in sliders. and it was from the old suit eobard used which he took the flash drive to show Barry how to get back to earth 2.

I still can't believe that zoom is jay that's crazy. I don't know if I can handle any more time traveling episodes

Does anyone else think that Barry's slight alteration of the future may include Ronnie's resurrection?
nope cause cause his body was only missing since the start of season 2. Ronnie was still bound to show up some time later anyways. missing body = still alive.

they might deal with that in LOT. but we'll see. the most I see happening is they tried to contact Ronnie and stein in their confuse fire storm state earlier and some aspect of dealing with that psycho general known as the shaggy man to us fans that's linked to Argus happened differently .

I still can't believe that zoom is jay that's crazy. I don't know if I can handle any more time traveling episodes
Jay has nothing to do with the time travel. he's part of the alternate reality traveling. lol but I'm sure that's confusing you more

Last edited:
This was another solid episode, I really enjoyed it. I felt like earlier this year the show was slipping but it seems like they are getting their feet under them again.

I think it means Eobard Thawne may have found a way to save himself.

Wouldn't he have been able to recognize that his plan failed if a future Barry exists?

I skipped through most of the episode though, so maybe they addressed this.

I think it means Eobard Thawne may have found a way to save himself.

Wouldn't he have been able to recognize that his plan failed if a future Barry exists?

I skipped through most of the episode though, so maybe they addressed this.

They addressed it, Barry told Eobard that his plan succeeded and Barry went back in time and Eobard went back to his own time as planned, it's possible that Thawne didn't fully buy it and came up with a contingency but we have no reason to believe otherwise.

This episode really highlighted how much better Thawne/Cavanaugh was as a villain than this season has had with Zoom. And how damn enjoyable the twisted mentor/enemy thing was with Thawne.

I've had trouble staying as invested this season, mostly because we're close to the end and we still don't really have a clear idea as to why Zoom is doing what he's doing. And there's no personal connection between him and Barry. The most laughable part about last episode wasn't the screaming shot at the mountain, sure it was overdramatic and all, but it was that we as audience members were supposed to believe Barry would really care that much. Jay was never really developed all that well this season, so his "betrayal" wasn't much of a shock.

Overall, this season has lacked the focus that S1 had, but episodes like the one tonight show the glimpses of what made S1 so great.

Solid episode. I was so worried this episode would eff things up do to reliving a day. But the result was pretty awesome. Of course he was going to run into trouble but...where did 2016 Barry hide 2015 Barry? Little mistake there.

That scene with Wells/Thawne was well-played. Barry had control and he was confident. I was thinking though, if Barry got caught and discovered by Eobard Thawne, that would change Thawne's plans completely after realizing that he fails his plan to kill Barry and return to his timeline.

But that was awesome when Barry said, "If you kill me, you never get to return home." Seeing Barry have the upper hand was awesome.

Now I forgot in season 1 episode 12? Was it? The Harry Potter look-a-like, he had said he figured out who Harrison Wells (Eobard Thawne) really was. Did he really know?

So as Barry did change history, that allowed for the evil Harry Potter to turn good in the present time? Anyways I liked the nod to the Back to the Future movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"