The Flash The Flash season 3 episode 3 - "Magenta"

KillerMcQueen

Superhero
Reaction score
THE FLASH
S3-E2 "MAGENTA"

EARTH-2 WELLS AND JESSE RETURN TO CENTRAL CITY — Barry and Team Flash are thrilled to reunite with Earth-2 Wells and Jesse. Wells confides to Barry and Caitlin that Jesse has all the powers of a speedster and has been saving people on his Earth. He is concerned about her safety and wants them to talk her out of using her powers. Meanwhile, Magenta, a new meta who can control metal, terrorizes the city.

Armen V. Kevorkian directed the episode written by Judalina Neira & David Kob.
Original airdate 10/18/2016.

Last edited:

2e4gjd3.jpg

Last edited:
See, now I'm curious whether Wally will become a speedster in this timeline, too, especially given his reaction to Jesse.

Side-note, yes, we finally see Joey King. If no one has ever seen the first season of Fargo, give it a watch. She's great on there.

They made a costume for Wally. I assume we'll see it in use again.

Again, I like how they're ratcheting up the interpersonal conflict or turmoil between the characters here. This is what I'd expect closer to the end of the season, but between Harry 2's conflict over Jesse being a speedster, Wally wanting his powers, Iris and Barry trying to have some normalcy in their chaotic lives, it all feels like a natural progression of where they've come from, but also Barry adjusting to the Flashpoint changes.

What conflicts? There was conflict introduced in this episode that was resolved in the runtime.

And Gustin and Patton have zero chemistry.

Man. 3 episodes in and I'm not interested in this season at all. I was fearing that season 3 would be the downfall of this show the same way many think season 3 was the downfall of Arrow.

Lots of things come out of nowhere in this episode such as Wally needing speed than anything else and this thing with Caitlin hiding her powers is something we've already seen with Cisqo.

Only thing I liked was seeing Barry and Jessie teaming together against Magenta and Barry talking to her while defeating her actually works.

Lol, I was afraid for a minute that the episode would end with the STAR labs crew shutting Frankie up in one of their windowless cells.

Wally bores the crap out of me. I'm tired of speedsters in general so I'm glad next week features Mirror Master.

I like Alchemy's plague doctor inspired costume.

Iris and Barry won't stay together long if they can't go on a date for longer than two minutes.

Good episode. Love Jessie's intro as a speedster and Wally's yearning for the power that everyone around him seems to be wallowing in. It's like a shiny new car that he can't get to drive. And I think it's going to get him into trouble. I think he's going to seek out Alchemy...

^If that were to happen Wally's character would suddenly become worthwhile.

What conflicts? There was conflict introduced in this episode that was resolved in the runtime.

Huh. Well, sour grapes, I suppose. But sure, I suppose things like Harry not wanting Jesse to become a speedster or Wally risking his life just to get powers, going entirely against what Joe told him, not conflicts. Just minor inconveniences.

And heck, while Barry and Iris aren't lighting up the screens, I'll happily take them over whatever passes for romantic couples on either Arrow or Supergirl.

more of a filler episode but great to see jessie with her powers and getting an actual suit

I loved this episode. Seeing Barry in that costume, being a hero and encouraging that girl was great. He has really grown as a hero and he just feels so real and like able. Can't explain it but in this one he was giving off serious hero vibes.

Awful episode
Goth girl with foster parent issues tries to drop oil tanker on hospital !!!

Oh ,and Caitlin is suddenly a social worker who can place children with foster parents in Keystone City - Not good

Home now watching on my dvr. Great the episode starts with Barry and Iris lovey dovey crap.

Awful episode
Goth girl with foster parent issues tries to drop oil tanker on hospital !!!

Oh ,and Caitlin is suddenly a social worker who can place children with foster parents in Keystone City - Not good
I didn't find it so bad they are making up for last season where that guy high school jock who had super strength was ageing rapidly. with this girl that guy needed help but that didn't regist to earth 2 well's or the star labs crew.

with this yeah it was meta human girl that had domestic problem. but at least we can't write off the star labs crew and Barry as those that don't care (but claim to be heroes with that claim )unlike that other case from season 2 which which horrible.

All they had to do was talk to that guy and try and help him. not every meta they meet should some villain and some they should blatantly kill off . which was problem in season 2 and was explained properly why they were doing with every meta they met.

they the writers lost sight of that last season.

Including those that just needed help with cure orb other wise instead.

Great episode, Glad to have wells back he definitely adds to team Flash, Jesse was good and the effects were actually top notch.

West/Allen was actually good tonight.

Man, the more this version of Barry travels in time the more I think this should be the last season for this series, I don't care that it's CW's highest rated show.

There's no way those problems were resolved. Satiated for now, maybe. But there's no way Wally's going to stop trying to get his speed, Wells is still going to react poorly every time Jesse puts herself in harm's way. The only thing truly resolved was Magenta.

I like Gustin and Patton together. The awkwardness was obviously played up a bit in this episode, but overall I don't mind it. I like that they're just embracing it this early. Hopefully they don't fall into the trope of extended relationship drama. Just let them be happy. Barry has enough terrible things he deals with.

Good episode. Love Jessie's intro as a speedster and Wally's yearning for the power that everyone around him seems to be wallowing in. It's like a shiny new car that he can't get to drive. And I think it's going to get him into trouble. I think he's going to seek out Alchemy...

This is what I was getting from this as well. Seems like pretty obvious foreshadowing. Between Wally telling Jesse he was "dreaming" of being a speedster, and with Magenta telling them it all started with dreams. Yeah. That's definitely the route they're going to go. Either Wally will seek out Alchemy, or Alchemy will seek out Wally. Maybe trying to turn him against Barry.

And heck, while Barry and Iris aren't lighting up the screens, I'll happily take them over whatever passes for romantic couples on either Arrow or Supergirl.

I agree. Better than any couple on Arrow, or Supergirl, or Legends, or most shows really.

You do realize "Caitlin setting her up with a family" doesn't necessarily mean she did the whole process herself, right? Any person can work with a social worker to help get someone placed. It's certainly possible that Caitlin knew a family that was welcoming, and helped facilitate the process.

The whole point of that line was that Caitlin took responsibility of helping Magenta have a home.

Man, the more this version of Barry travels in time the more I think this should be the last season for this series, I don't care that it's CW's highest rated show.

I don't know how this is relevant to this episode, considering Barry didn't travel in time.

Man. Is it just me? It seems like the effects have gotten WAY better this year. For both this and Supergirl so far. Throwin' cars around, and Tankers and stuff is beyond what they would have attempted in one episode before.

Barry is an idiot, by not telling Wally the truth about Flashpoint Kid Flash. He's playing right into Alchemy hands because Wally is jealous of Jesse and he has a desire to help people so I have a feeling this will come back and bite Barry in the butt.

There's no way those problems were resolved. Satiated for now, maybe. But there's no way Wally's going to stop trying to get his speed, Wells is still going to react poorly every time Jesse puts herself in harm's way. The only thing truly resolved was Magenta.

The 'problems' they are dealing with are extremely artificial feeling. Why is Wally all of a sudden so hell-bent to get superspeed too? Didn't seem so broken over the fact that Barry had it so far. It is a problem for the sake of being a problem, and I would not say that this is something that is going to be especially interesting to watch for the next two or three episodes, so I would say that any actually interesting problems are indeed no longer there for us to follow.

Same goes for Wells, he is like the cheap version of Joe, someone who is turned into an emotional klutz because they need a super-clingy dad for humor and to get more friction into this series (because we don't have enough of that already...). Not something I think is that interesting to follow or really a 'problem'.

I wish they would go more with the actual action/adventure aspect of the Flash instead of the ongoing forced drama and romance.

I like Gustin and Patton together. The awkwardness was obviously played up a bit in this episode, but overall I don't mind it. I like that they're just embracing it this early. Hopefully they don't fall into the trope of extended relationship drama. Just let them be happy. Barry has enough terrible things he deals with.

I too finally liked where they were going in the last two episodes but in this one it just felt forced and overdone. No, Barry won't always have time to be around, he is the Flash after all, but are you ****ting me? Do the writers try to tell us every single date is going to be like that for Barry? So far, he didn't have one where he could just relax and enjoy, talking about unbelievable. How the **** is he able to keep a job when he has to leave every ten minutes?

Oh, they WILL use their relationship to introduce extended drama, they will milk it like a cow, and I call it now that they won't stay together. It will be an on and off again, because apparently being in a relationship is a no-no when it comes to the lead hero, because things get boring otherwise.

This is what I was getting from this as well. Seems like pretty obvious foreshadowing. Between Wally telling Jesse he was "dreaming" of being a speedster, and with Magenta telling them it all started with dreams. Yeah. That's definitely the route they're going to go. Either Wally will seek out Alchemy, or Alchemy will seek out Wally. Maybe trying to turn him against Barry.

Poor Wally and what they are doing with his character... seriously, the poor dude seems to get about as badly abused as Barry from the writers. Because how else could he get his powers but temporary turning to the dark side... what an unbelievable and gripping twist that would be.

I agree. Better than any couple on Arrow, or Supergirl, or Legends, or most shows really.

Well, it's really just coming down to taste.

You do realize "Caitlin setting her up with a family" doesn't necessarily mean she did the whole process herself, right? Any person can work with a social worker to help get someone placed. It's certainly possible that Caitlin knew a family that was welcoming, and helped facilitate the process.

Well, considering that they made it look like she did, what else are the dear writers expecting us from take from this?

The whole point of that line was that Caitlin took responsibility of helping Magenta have a home.

... uneccessary drama....

I don't know how this is relevant to this episode, considering Barry didn't travel in time.

I think he or she means to end it before it gets really, really bad... This Barry Allen is just... wow... and most of his supportive cast is just... wooow. The writers use the whole concept of time travelling so ridiculously badly that it drags the show as a whole down, and makes Barry look even more like an idiot.

Tbh, I don't doubt that they will milk this cow into the ground, so the show won't go away anytime soon, but it really doesn't bother me too much. I take it more like the somewhat ugly step-brother of what hopefully is going to be a much more pleasant interpretation of the Flash aka, the movie version. That way I am able to watch it without cringing every few seconds and can actually enjoy it.

Regarding the effects... I think they got a little better? I've read on other sources that they did improve but I didn't notice it that much so far.

Barry is an idiot, by not telling Wally the truth about Flashpoint Kid Flash. He's playing right into Alchemy hands because Wally is jealous of Jesse and he has a desire to help people so I have a feeling this will come back and bite Barry in the butt.

Or Wally could just not behave like a envious little idiot? Where the heck came his sudden obsession with getting speed powers from anyway? He didn't seem this upset about having none so far even though Barry was constantly around him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"