The Flash season 3 episode 3 - "Magenta"

Discussion in 'The Flash' started by KillerMcQueen, Oct 3, 2016.

?

Rate "Magenta"

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

I miss outgoing Cisco.

2. CrystalFortress Registered

It bugged me that Jessie's speed didn't even leave a singe on her clothes.

The force needed to keep that oil tanker up would be insane. I'm willing to overlook certain things but the whole oil tanker thing seemed like needless escalation to get Jessie involved. Talking of getting Jessie involved, wouldn't it have made more sense for one of the two to get everyone out of the building then deal with Magneta?

Sort of meh episode overall. So is there a second Wells + Jessie running about that were involved in this timeline's version of the Zoom saga? why are we linked to the previous timeline's Earth 2 here.

Speed Lab... I guess the partly concealed track is a slightly better visual than the treadmill.

Panic button was a nice feature.

Wells using Not kind of bugged me as well. It would have been more interesting if we'd seen him pick it up the last time he was on Earth 1 or something, it came across more annoyed teen than world renowned scientist or loving dad.

This timeline being mostly the same but with random differences is also very meh with the way they've decided to go. It's like the wanted to change the world but not the people and then changed the people slightly. Wells wants this Caitlyn to interact with Jessie despite, by my best reasoning, these two specific individuals interacted with different versions of each other previously.

3. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Saying that this is a better romance than the other CW shows is the definition of damning with faint praise.

4. Speed Force Goober

That was a bad episode...not. Wells and Julian were the stand outs for me. Hopefully Harry sticks around for a while now.

7/10

5. NotNickFury Registered

2.63 million viewers for this week. Slight dip, but not bad. Still steady.

6. Spider-Aziz Flame Roy Returns

Flashpoint, speed room, Jesse Quick, Doctor Alchemy, and all that drama jazz to come out as the aftermath of Barry trying to correct the timeline Eobard broke.

7. Guard82 Registered

Really liked the episode. I felt that it established the overall direction of the season following the trauma of Flashpoint and its aftermath. The show settled comfortably into the momentum of having Team Flash fighting to stop Dr. Alchemy's efforts to recreate metahumans from the Flashpoint timeline.

I definitely enjoyed the introduction of Jesse Quick, showing Jesse with her full speed powers and diving enthusiastically into the superhero role. It was also great having Tom Cavanaugh back as Earth-2 Harrison Wells, playing the exasperated yet loving father to Jesse. Cavanaugh continues to perform great and has excellent chemistry with the whole cast.

I liked how the show adapted Magenta, giving her a wide range of emotions and some great pathos. Much of the time, a lot of the one-off villains of the week on the CW DC shows are given too little personality and too little character development. I felt that was the case with The Rival in the previous two episodes of Flash, as well as Metallo in the last two episodes of Supergirl. Both of those villains were rather lacking in personality and motive. But Magenta wasn't at all like The Rival or Metallo; she was a genuinely sympathetic antagonist with complex emotions and a sad backstory, which made her redemption all the more satisfying.

The team-up between the Flash and Jesse Quick was nicely done, and I liked how Barry was able to talk Magenta down in the end. Also, it was good to see Barry come up with the idea of how to stop the tanker by himself rather than have someone else suggest it to him. It shows how much he's been learning about his powers over time.

The only scenes that didn't really work for me were the ones with Wally wishing he had speed. Hopefully they'll fix that in the future. Overall, I give this episode a 9 out of 10.

8. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Magenta was just doing the most with that tanker.

Wally is totally going to ask Alchemy for help.

9. BlueLanternKal Super-Lex

Y'all are crazy. This was better than either the premier episodes.

Barry talking down the villain was great. Barry and Iris are good, just keep them drama-free. Wally has ALWAYS been obsessed with speed. People are playing dumb or didn't watch season 2. He was introduced as an illegal street racer/engineering prodigy. For a minute people thought he was going to build a suit that would give him speed. Now y'all are complaining that he's jelly Jesse got speedster powers from the same explosion he was in? GTFOH.

I think the real bait and switch is Malfoy. He's not Alchemy. In fact he probably suspects Barry is Alchemy.

10. flashpo1nt Registered

the episode wasn't bad, but one thing i'm hating about the series is how they make barry allen as a speedster slow, and less than all the other speedsters on the show.

basically he looks weak in comparison.

yet they tried to make him look special with him having his bond with the speed force, you'd think maybe because the rest of the speedsters don't have a bond with the speed force (that we know of). Anyways you'd think barry would actually be faster or be able to do things other speedsters can't but this really isn't the case. I just think his bond with the speedforce should mean more, kind of like when neo finally accepted the matrix he could just do stuff that his other predecessors could not, it's not the best analogy but you get what I mean.

what sucks even more is barry at one point was trying to figure out ways on getting faster, everything from exercise, to possibly taking v9, to wearing the tachyon device wells made to store extra speedforce, yet all the other speedsters he encounters don't make any effort in attempting to get faster and they are in most cases on par or faster than barry.

Zoom different story because he was stealing speed force, and using v6,9 drugs so ofcourse he'd be faster than barry, reverse flash he wore a tachyon device.

i mean more specifically the rival, how the heck is he faster than barry...sure barry defeated him in the other time line, but when the rival came back to barry's normal time line he had the upper hand on barry until sysco came to help....why and how is the rival faster than barry.

same thing with jessie, they made it seem she's just as faster as barry, i don't expect the writers to have barry kicking everyone's butt with no challenge, but he seriously should be alot faster than jessie, or the rival, barry has to work hard to get faster while other speedsters just seem to be naturally faster...jessie in no way or form should be able to even keep up to barry.

we'll have to see how this season goes, but i was under the impression barry was somewhat special after his encounter with the speed force, and it seemed like maybe the speed force granted him more speed because when he raced zoom they were petty much neck and neck when zoom should've been much faster due to having his speed, plus stealing barry's, plus taking all the drugs to make him faster....so i took that as the speed force made barry faster after his encounter, only reason zoom could keep up was because he was like a speedster on steroids...however when barry made a duplicate of himself and then threw zoom off that device they were running around i sorta took that as barry being the faster of the two.

11. Thome216 Registered

I agree. We're told they're is a reason for their suits, in that they cut down friction and dissipate heat. Heck, when he ran with Kara in the crossover, Kara's sweater caught on fire from the friction. Now, he runs in a suit and carrying Iris in a dress and they both end up looking like they simply took a stroll...

They need to keep a close eye on consistency and not let the needs of the story overrule the rules.

And yes, the catch-phrase is that he is the fastest man alive...

12. herolee10 No More Miracles

If it hadn't been clear enough already, this episode proved that the Flashpoint timeline should have had more episodes devoted to it in order to explore what reality was like when individuals like Magenta had powers.

I don't know why they they couldn't devote like 3-5 episodes worth of story time for that arc.

13. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

It was good to see Wells again. But when did he start saying "Not"?

And wasn't there also some clip where he said something like "greetings, earthlings" and they mentioned that he'd developed a sense of humour now? But that would seem to fit with when he first arrived, but it wasn't like that at all.

14. CrystalFortress Registered

In fairness to them the people he rescues from buildings (like the one Black Siren collapsed) I don't recall them getting their clothes burned so he could be slowed down a bit but with Jessie I don't think it's acceptable that her trying to keep a fricking oil tanker up by running wouldn't need the speed required to burn the clothes.

15. Thome216 Registered

Now I'm imagining that as a bit a humor they missed out on! Picture Barry going to the roof cause there's no sign of Jesse and he finds her trying to keep the singed remnants of her clothes together!

Lesson learned!

16. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Her clothes should've burnt up. The question is, if they did, and she needed to continue that figure 8, does she keep running about in the nude or does she stop to try to get some cover? What is the right thing to do in such an emergency?

17. Syncos ROFLICIOUS

The nudity wouldn't have mattered if she kept running. She was just a lightning bolty blur anyway. Just keep running until Magenta put the tanker down, then keep running all the way home to get changed.

18. Thome216 Registered

That would certainly get her to run faster than Barry!

19. Spider-Aziz Flame Roy Returns

Nah, aside from Barry's jacket burning in the pilot and some clothes burning in the episode of Felicity visiting Central City they pretty much ignored that, and we were reminded of the fact they ignored it in making Barry run 3 months in episode 1 of this season.

20. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

They didn't ignore that in the recent Supergirl crossover. He nearly ended up patting her boobs.

21. WeatherWizard99 Registered

how was magenta created in the flashpoint, exactly !?

I mean ... wally becoming a speedster because of his car, and cisco buying star labs and turning it into ramon industries are some pretty big hints that there was no particle accelarator in flashpoint

22. BestGirl Reluctantly following Vought's orders

Maybe the PA still went off, STAR Labs went bankrupt as a result and Cisco then bought it up.

23. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

the 3rd opening intro

24. Spider-Aziz Flame Roy Returns

I forgot that.
    I like it more when they don't let clothes burn.

25. Nathan Registered

Wally needs a good smack upside the head.

#50 Nathan, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016