The Flash season 3 episode 9 - "The Present"

Discussion in 'The Flash' started by KillerMcQueen, Nov 21, 2016.

?

Rate "The Present"

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

Kid Flash is born

2. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

This marks the first time Barry went time traveling to the future. I thought for sure Iris is going to die for real.

Glad Kid Flash is born. It's time for Barry to share the field work load like Oliver has with his team.

This thing with Cisco and his brother doesn't ring true as they barely had a relationship.

Julian is the latest to know Barry's secret ID. I wonder if he's Rip Hunter's ancestor because he reminds me of him.

Awesome team-up between Barry and Jay in super speed that we never got last season. Mark Hamill did well as Earth-3 Trickster that is Joker-like and Earth-3 looks like a colorful version of Earth-2.

3. BestGirl Reluctantly following Vought's orders

Oh lord, more time travel. :dry: Please don't let Barry resort to even more time travel in order to save Iris.

Was anyone else annoyed by the reappearance of the tiny isolated cells? The writers this season have been more competent than last year's. You'd think they know that new cells to hold metas were created elsewhere. And what right do the Star Labs crew have to hold Julian in a windowless room anyway?

HR shouldn't've taken Wally outside. Alchemy could've still been looking for him, for all he knew. BTW, that would've been a better excuse for Joe not to allow Wally to use his powers, rather than "You're not ready."

This post so far makes it sound like I didn't enjoy the episode but I thought it was pretty decent. Savitar's prophecy was appropriately ominous at least.

#28 BestGirl, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  4. Mike Murdock Registered

There's a huge difference between altering your past and altering your future. The biggest issue with altering the past is it alters your present in ways you can't predict. Altering your future is impossible to predict (and it's something we do every day just by making decisions with our lives).

5. Thome216 Registered

Glad it didn't happen, because it would be a real kick in the nuts to Shipp. As in 'What, I'm dead again?!'

As to saving Iris, Barry sounds like he's going to take Jay's advice and live in the moment. I would actually have preferred if Jay had remarked on Barry having basically lived in the past for the last three season, and that he shouldn't start to live in the future now. But having said that, I don't think Barry has grown enough as an individual to not leave well enough alone. Savitar comes back somehow.

Anyone want to guess how that is..?:sly:

#30 Thome216, Dec 6, 2016
  6. ThatOneWolfDude Registered

"One of you will betray you." Cisco (Who could feel angry about Dante) Caitlin (Who might go Killer Frost) or HR (There could be something more to him)

"One of you will fall." Barry (Who might take Iris's place) Iris (CW killed off Black Canary so I wouldn't put it past them to do this) or Joe

One of you will suffer a fate worse than death." Barry or Caitlin (goes full Killer Frost)

#31 ThatOneWolfDude, Dec 6, 2016
  7. O'Haire Awesome

[blackout]After the **** storm they got for killing Laurel last season on Arrow, I can't see them being dumb enough to make the same mistake with Iris.[/blackout]

8. ThatOneWolfDude Registered

This is the CW we're talking about.....

9. ThatOneWolfDude Registered

I'm on the Flash reddit subform and someone misread "I'm the future, Flash" for "I'm the future Flash" and is theorizing season 3 will go with the future Flash storyline from the New 52.

Thoughts?

10. Slade W "Who Is Slade?"

I do not think if it happens, it will be permanent, but regarding the response you are referring to, it all depends on the timing of such a thing happening. For example, in the first two seasons, and maybe even the third, there is little to suggest the reaction would have been anywhere near as strong as it was. There was a long period of time where a lot of people wanted it to happen. I am not sure what most people think of Iris ATM, so it is hard for to say what the response would be.

#35 Slade W, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  11. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

Unlike Dinah Laurel Lance, Iris did die in the comics and was revealed to be alive in the 31st Century. I wonder if they're going that route.

12. just one thing Registered

the julian - barry friction makes a bit more sense with julian being possessed by savitar.

13. Headliner Registered

Does anyone wonder what Savitar meant by Fake Wells? Is this Earth 19 Wells a fake identity? Every season it's something with the Wells character so it makes sense.

14. zenith16 Registered

he may mean alot of thing's this wells isn't from this reality for one. And in his own reality this H.R. Wells from earth 19 lost his star labs, cause Although he was the face of his starb , it was his partner that was the one that made all the tech.

so there's no invention to H.R.'s name.

it's possible he came up with the idea's ala Stan lee. But his partner made the inventions and them workable and the public of earth 19 never accepted that. this is why H.R. is trying to start over in earth 1.

So it could mean a number of things where H.R. is involved.

#39 zenith16, Dec 7, 2016
  15. zenith16 Registered

I agree with this . this is more of a knowing & preventing thing, then trying to alter what has happened already and what made him into the man he is &b is supposed to be and it's important to his time lines history, which why it's fixed point where his mom is involved , and can't be taken back .

how ever now that he's seen this with iris, I wasn't sure how I took it that he kept quiet about this to the others.

he should have told them , before the party. This is what happened when they thought they beat zoom when they caught all the meta's from earth 2 and they weirdly celebrated too early when he escaped. and they knew they didn't catch him. And I wasn't happy with them back then befor zoom came back for his final gamble.

this is both a thing he sorta picked up from Oliver. and a bad habit team flash developed them selves. If you want to celebrate fine. But they better take the next day to start preparing. Barry shouldn't have kept this to him self. if he takes months to tell them about this, I'll be ticked off at him.

#40 zenith16, Dec 7, 2016
  16. Paradox1 Registered

It was a decent episode, definitely shocked by Servitar and the big reveal though.

17. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Future Barry... always pissing people off.

[​IMG]

18. KillerMcQueen Mortal-ish

loved that, nice ominous mind-**** with Barry seeing a potential future, and was great to finally see Jay in action. Great setup for the rest of the season.

19. the gael Registered

"One of you will betray you." Caitlin turning again into Killer Frost is predictable. Cisco would be be redundant, it's time for him to move from the death of his brother. Wally is another possibility, especially considering that there was a clear shot of him when Savitar said "One will betray you". I can see him turning into Savitar because the team don't trust him. But I guess that the betrayal will only last for a few episode with the betrayer becoming a hero again in the end.

"One of you will fall."... may or may not be answered by the travel Barry made to the future, but I suspect that there is more to the scene that what we saw...

"One of you will suffer a fate worse than death."... mysterious and terrifying line !
    It can be something addressed to Caitlin or Barry, but... there is something strange and scary in this scene.
    Savitar seems to imply that he is not an actual god, just a creature of pure energy. He knows everything about the team, and say that he comes from the future where future Barry locks him up and renders him powerless... Couldn't this be "a suffer far worse than death" ? So will someone from the team (HR or Joe if you look at the body langage of Tom Felton when he plays Savitar) become Savitar at one point in the next part of the season ?

20. zenith16 Registered

lol I CANT BELIEVE SOME MADE THIS

OH i FELL OF MY CHAIR.

21. Wolfgangamadeus Registered

I'm starting to think Savitar might be a member within the flash team. That's how he knows everyone and what will happen to them. But I still don't get why he dissappears when the box is closed. Since he got his powers via the some, does he have access to the speed force?

22. Loki882 Registered

-It'd be kind of foolish to have Caitlin go bad, given what her (and Barry's) arcs were in the last episode. Plus it'd be really freaking predictable and cliché imo.

-As much as I love him, I could see Joe being the "one who falls." He seems like the character who could most easily be removed without effecting much. As for the betrayer, I was thinking that maybe Wally gets corrupted by the power of the Speed Force and turns on the team (and then there's a whole storyline about them trying to get him back).

-At the risk of sounding like a stereotypical "dude," I kind of want there to be a Barry/Iris love scene at some point. That'd be the ultimate payoff for all of this and hey, Oliver shouldn't be the only lead who gets to have an onscreen sex life after all (I don't count LOT really because that's more of an ensemble show with no one clear lead).

23. Deltron3030 Registered

Good season but terrible mid season finale. Worst episode of the season even

24. herolee10 No More Miracles

On another note, kudos to the Production Team for not reusing many (if not any) previous speed shots for several scenes (over and over again) like they did with last season. I'm actually surprised that most, if not all, of their running shots for the Flash have been new in the first half of the season.

25. zenith16 Registered

it is their number one show and it does help that Vancouver is an easy place to film and they don't get heavy taxed or have easily annoyed people on the location they do shoot. So they can afford all that.