The Flash season 3 episode 9 - "The Present"

Discussion in 'The Flash' started by KillerMcQueen, Nov 21, 2016.

?

Rate "The Present"

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BestGirl Reluctantly following Vought's orders

I don't mind HR. His humor is welcome since they decided to make Cisco all mopey over his brother. Besides, Savitar called him "fake Wells" right? That's potentially interesting. Maybe he's not who he claims to be.

2. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I think its nigh-certain he's not who he claims to be. Also, I'm placing my bet on him as being the reason Savitar eventually escapes. Going with the "Abrakadabra Theory", I think he wants the Philosopher's Stone; unfortunately, it has an angry god linked to it. So he is trying to come up with a way to either kill or banish or enslave Savitar, so that the Stone is free of his influence.

3. KillerMcQueen Mortal-ish

We already know why he's a fake though, that was a big plot point in episode 3-05, that he wasn't who he claimed to be, I doubt we're getting that twist with Wells for the fourth time in three seasons.

4. Guts Smug

I think they completely forgot about Gideon even though they have a Gideon on Legends of Tomorrow.

5. Spider-Aziz Flame Roy Returns

What I remembered watching Cisco and Dante scene

Not the fight bits, just the brothers moment

This is one time Barry showing a prisoner his face made sense.

6. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

This is by far and away my biggest problem with this season. There is no reason for the pipeline but they continue to use it.

7. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Eh... If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... It could be a goose. Which is to say, sure, in some ways different but... Nah, in all the ways that matter it's rerunning a lot of elements we've seen on this show.

8. zenith16 Registered

the out come will be different in this case it's likely he will save iris and the consequences are different too where with his mom he's chaning thing fromj how they are supposed to be where he's needed as flash and the others like Oliver to exist too cause barry was there to save him among other things.

With this the consequence aren't fixed and it can still go in many direction's, yes. But the out comes are unknown & they can't be in the same where if he changes the future, it'll be bad for every one as well. the filan destination plot where you change the past can't used for this where the future is involved .

9. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Barry will again be haunted by the death of a female loved one. Said female loved one is killed by another speedster. Once again TIME TRAVEL is intricately involved with the plot. Once again Barry will be tempted to change something from another time period as it relates to his life. As revealed by Savitar someone from his inner circle of friends and allies will betray him...

I'm sorry but we've seen ALL of this before. All of it. How about a season of THE FLASH that doesn't include time travel or "friends" that become enemies or who turn on the Barry and the rest of Team Flash?

I get repeating themes or elements but this is quite ridiculous. My friend Ed joked once that Joe West would get killed but Jessie L. Martin would stay on the show as Max Mercury the way Shipp is still around as Jay Garrick. I used to laugh it off. Frankly now... It would surprise me more if they DIDN'T do that.

10. zenith16 Registered

well I'm saying the difference here will be that his approach, will likely be him trying to solve it in the present day. unlike where he traveled in the past to try resolve and made things worse.

So he won't head back to the future to do that. barry will solve it in in the present day and hopefully the out come's different cause he's not using time travel as thee solution . yeah knows of the event's due to it. But he didn't purposefully head there this time .

We'll see what happens.

yeah do agree. for one after this season I hope we're done with the speedster beaing the main villain other place are doing it where you have hero that has super speeds these writers should be capable of that as well. as for max mercury I hope we do see a new actor and they don't do musical chairs with the actors they already have and just throw super hero code name them . I've kinda had my fill with that as well. and don't want to see it any more.

Your friend put very funny picture and I did chuckle, but I'm sure I won't and other's out side of the hype wouldn't like it at all if that woere to happen they'd take worse.

as far Max Mercury goes there's alot to play with his origin and that's make him from same time period of eobard and that he works for barry. he shouldn't be of the Allen & west family three at all. he's just someone that knew eobard and likie went to school with him and happened to get speedster powers and is trying to stop Eobard from screwing up time further as an assignment from future barry and Max lost track of Eobard for bit during his journey..

11. zenith16 Registered

any way hope it goes down well.

12. TheHighlander The Only One

So... after a few minutes of training with fake wells Wally is faster than barry.... SMDH. When is barry going to become as fast as zoom? he should at least be as fast....

13. coluanprime Registered

Do people not watch the episodes?? It was explained several times in the past few, that compared to Barry's development, Wally is faster than Barry was at the equivalent point in his training. Barry is still faster than Wally is.

14. flashpo1nt Registered

If you look at the bar graph wally is yellow and barry is red that wally is significantly higher.

HR means that during the exact same length of time they had there speed (say within the first month) that wally is faster than what barry was, thats partly in due to the fact that the philosopher stone gave wally his full powers. HR was not implying that wally is faster than barry.

For Barry it was different, his powers were still manifesting and growing, the speed force was growing inside of barry...so the comparison isn't real fair, wally has all his speed where as barry was still growing stronger (and still is).

Even in flashpoint barry was faster than wally, so i believe in this earth barry will always remain superior, he has to for the show to focus around him and for him to say the trademark words "i'm the fastest man alive"

This barry allen has already done stuff that in the comics only wally could do or was the first to do.

also in the comics barry apparently created the speedforce, but in the show the speed force was always around from the begining of time, long before barry which means this barry could have not created it.

also since savitar was the first human granted speed, this means the speed force was around so long ago that many before barry have had it, therefore this barry did not create the speedforce like in the comic version....point being the writers use ideas from different material to write the episodes for the show.

#89 flashpo1nt, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  15. Guard82 Registered

This was a cool midseason finale with a lot of good acting by the whole cast and some good setup for the rest of the season. I loved Mark Hamill as the Trickster of Earth-3, and I loved how John Wesley Shipp's Jay Garrick played such a large role in this episode.

I also really liked how this episode gave Iris a chance to use her journalistic skills to help the team, when she used her research skills to discover that Julian had gone on that expedition to the Indus Valley years ago. That was a nice touch. The writers should have Iris show off her journalistic skills more often.

I liked how Jay gave Barry an important piece of advice on how he shouldn't waste his time and energy worrying about how to prevent a possible future that may not even happen, and how he needs to live his life in the here and now. That's actually good advice for anyone, because if you are constantly worrying about things you can't control, you'll drive yourself crazy and you won't be able to enjoy the good things in life. It'll be interesting to see how Barry handles this dilemma going forward since he obviously wants to save Iris.

I'm pretty sure that Iris either won't die or it will be very temporary, because these shows rarely give away big character deaths this early in the game. The big deaths generally are kept secret to surprise us later. So I'm anxious to see how it all works out.

16. Syncos ROFLICIOUS

Yes and no.

Barry getting his speed is the catalyst for the Speedforce being created, but it extended infinitely from that point across time. Which is why Golden Age speedsters like Jay still used it, long before Barry was the flash.

It exists outside of the boundaries of time.

17. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Why didn't Jay Garrick stay around to celebrate Christmas with them? He would've had some people to be with, and Barry would've had someone who reminded him of his dad.

18. Eni Registered

Well, seeing that Thawne and Savitar are both pieces of **** and clearly supervillains, I think you fault the wrong person here. ;)

19. haephestus Registered

I'm pretty far behind, but I finally watched this episode and enjoyed it.

So, I'm guessing that Flashpoint somehow "freed" Savitar from wherever future Flash trapped him in the future? It seems as though Flashpoint was somehow the key, especially since a big part of Savitar's plan and abilities includes recreating all of the metahumans from the Flashpoint alternate reality. And Savitar's lackey, Dr Alchemy only appeared in the alternate timeline once Barry tried to "undo" the effects of Flashpoint.

So, not only did Flashpoint kill Cisco's brother, give Caitlin metahuman powers that she doesn't want, introduce Julian as an workplace opponent for Barry and act as a beacon for the Dominators to invade Earth to stop the Flash from wreaking further havoc in the timeline, but it also somehow freed Savitar and allowed him to travel back in time to kill Barry (although Savitar really seems to take his time killing the Flash, so perhaps that isn't his ultimate plan as he's had plenty of opportunities to do so).