The Gaming Lounge: Beyond - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
WoW is a lot more dominant than I thought. I mean I knew it was big but the fact that they've still retained such a huge chunk of players is impressive.

from what i remember hearing the mist of pandaria extension wasn't doing so well though

Sony Files Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

The patent explains that games will come with contactless tags that will be read by your console in much the same way as modern bank cards. When a disc is first used, the disc ID and player ID will be stored on the tag. Every time the disc is used in future, the tag will check if the two ID’s match up and, if not, then the disc won’t work.

The document goes on to explain that such a device is part of Sony's ongoing efforts to deter second-hand games sales, and is a far simpler solution than always-on DRM or passwords.

It's worth noting that Sony has not confirmed the existence of the device, and the patent doesn't state what machine it will be used in, with later paragraphs also mentioning accessories and peripherals.

Dumb, dumb move. What ever you think about 2nd hand games be damned. This will hurt the PS4 if true.

What pisses me off about this the most is that I can't even borrow games from friends if true. Or whenever I go to a friend's place, I'll always have to carry my console with me.

Yep, granted Its just a patent. I'm not worried yet, but yes, moving away from preowned games and game rentals/borrowing is bad for everyone.

If Sony actually goes through with that patent and makes it a real thing, all Microsoft would have to do is announce the next machine will allow secondhand games and they would be in a pretty dominant position until whenever Sony goes and fixes that.

Indeed. GameStop would also probably not carry PS4 anything. Granted you can get games anywhere but GS is probably the most popular place to do so.

Won't game rentals and places like Gamestop die eventually anyway? Once we reach the time where all games are distributed digitally and physical copies are a thing of the past? They should just wait it out and don't do this with any current or upcoming consoles.

Yeah, we'll get there sooner than later, there's no need for them to push it and piss people off and lose customers. Sony especially should be careful of that next gen.

The skeptic in me says I doubt it will actually happen.

If Sony actually goes through with that patent and makes it a real thing, all Microsoft would have to do is announce the next machine will allow secondhand games and they would be in a pretty dominant position until whenever Sony goes and fixes that.

This.

If any system bans secondhand games, I don't see myself buying that next gen system.

Won't game rentals and places like Gamestop die eventually anyway? Once we reach the time where all games are distributed digitally and physical copies are a thing of the past? They should just wait it out and don't do this with any current or upcoming consoles.

Yeah, friend of mine is a manager at GameStop and doesn't expect to have a job not this up coming generation but the one that follows that. He fully believes that by that time digital will be the only way.

I'm sure GS will still be around and maybe selling the digital codes and preorder whatever... But the used game market will be done with.

So... Yeah, just wait and the consumer will adapt. Force it and they won't buy your stuff.

WoW is a lot more dominant than I thought. I mean I knew it was big but the fact that they've still retained such a huge chunk of players is impressive.

I'm not too surprised given that I knew WoW had atleast 5 million subscriptions. Lots of other MMO's are considered to be doing great if they had 300k. The depressing one was EQ 2. Given that Everquest was my first MMO, but it's still the one I look back on the fondest. I liked the first person immersion, the gameplay, the art style (at the time atleast), and the crowd.

Matrix Online had the second best crowd, but lousy everything else. WoW had a lot of ppl, but most were asses, drama queens, or expected you to treat the game like a second job. It had fun gameplay (rogues, hunters, and warlock's are a blast), but wasn't immersive enough. DCUO was fun as well, but ran out of content quick (all new content seems raid/group, and gear restricted). and didn't have WoW's pop. I'm hoping EQ 3 will mark a comeback for the series, as I miss it.

I'm sure Sony's real popular in the Gamestop offices atm.

I fully expect GameStop to make an announcement soon. They won't set on this, they'll come out and say that they'll stop carrying Sony product's.

I also wouldn't be shocked to see Microsoft and Nintendo announce that they embrace the used market.

For the moment I'm going to file this away mentally in a similar category as rumors, because we don't know if Sony will use it, or on what. However, if they do do that on PS4, they may lose a customer.

I buy 90% of my games new, so that's not the problem. What is is that I'm not happy with the games industries attempt to remove the owners rights to their purchase, and I don't like being severely limited. That wouldn't just mean no Gamestop, but no rentals, Gamefly, or borrowing from a friend either. Not to mention if your PS4 dies you have to re-buy a copy of that game.

I'm not fond of what Xbox offers compared to Playstation, and Nintendo hasn't been appealing to me for awhile. I might have to mentally prepare myself for switching back to computer gaming next gen, lol.

^ Well said, Fading. You made me wonder how susceptible to a lawsuit this would be.

And with Microsoft, we were having this discussion in the next Xbox thread. Will Microsoft deliver more exclusive titles and franchises next gen, especially considering that during the latter parts of this gen they lost 2 key exclusive franchises (Elder Scrolls and Mass Effect).

^ Well said, Fading. You made me wonder how susceptible to a lawsuit this would be.

And with Microsoft, we were having this discussion in the next Xbox thread. Will Microsoft deliver more exclusive titles and franchises next gen, especially considering that during the latter parts of this gen they lost 2 key exclusive franchises (Elder Scrolls and Mass Effect).
Um, Elder Scrolls was NEVER an Xbox exclusive franchise

In terms of consoles, Morrowind was only for Xbox and Oblivion was out for Xbox 360 a whole year before the PS3.

In terms of consoles, Morrowind was only for Xbox and Oblivion was out for Xbox 360 a whole year before the PS3.
Thats only bc the PS3 wasnt available when Oblivion was released. It was always being developed for both systems and was supposed to be a PS3 launch title till it got delayed. MS never had any exclusivity deal on that game

Well, according to that Kotaku article, a year ago a similar rumor came out about the next Xbox not playing used games either. Given how Sony, and Microsoft used similar developed tech, rumors about both looking into this worries me a bit more.

Even if it's optional, you know EA, and Activision will embrace it. This gen has produced some of the best games, and innovations. Yet it also produced some of the greediest, anti-consumer tactics. Always needing an internet connection to play, Online passes, on disk content requiring further purchase to unlock, subscription fees to what used to be free. Ugh, I'm hoping the industry learns it's lesson before it goes that far, considering how vocal gamers have been against these types of things.

Thats only bc the PS3 wasnt available when Oblivion was released. It was always being developed for both systems and was supposed to be a PS3 launch title till it got delayed. MS never had any exclusivity deal on that game

I almost forget sometimes that the PS3 was released a year after the 360. Okay, so it wasn't an exclusive per se. My main point is that Sony has done an excellent job creating new franchises and continuing to generate new first party franchises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"