The Halloween Film Series Thread... - Part 4

We’re all fans of the series at the end of the day so we’re all entitled to convey what we love and don’t love. I think Halloween 3 is almost a masterpiece for goodness sakes. No hard feelings here!

I love Halloween III

Folks, I don't have a problem when someone thinks H18 is a masterpiece, the best sequel, etc.
But why do you praise this movie over and over and underestimate the value of the other movies in the series?

The fact that Rob Zombie wasn't trying to copy the original scene by scene, and only used certain elements of the original to create something else and that he decided to introduce two Michael's, well casted and played by Daeg and Tyler, and show the transformations of Michael, how he slowly loses contact with people and at the same time still maintains his feelings towards his sister. It is a well-conceived and presented idea.

The same goes for the grim atmosphere which is never compromised by anything, especially humor. the scenes between young Michael and Loomis in the hospital are awesome. Visually they are interesting, only in terms of music they fail, which is ironic considering Rob is a musician.

On Halloween 2, on the other hand, we get two very interesting things for which I respect this movie. We see for the first time what Michael does when it's not Halloween, so Michael is wandering aimlessly, he's dead, he's just waiting for Halloween to relive the night he killed his sister. The second thing is to depict Laurie's trauma, how from a joyful and relatively decent girl, she becomes a cynical wreckage of a human being who is haunted by the thought that she will become like her brother and that there is something wrong with her.

Criticize these movies, but don't say everything about them is bad and that H18 has "minor flaws" like humor. One more thing that reminded me too, I don't have a particular problem with Laurie in H18, but in my opinion her trauma is shown in a exaggerated way and they portrayed it a lot better in H20.

The H18 is really very good, but mainly because it imitates the original a lot. That's why it's in third place for me, and I value Halloween 4 higher, because it's much bolder. An intro without Carpenter's iconic music, yet so atmospheric and creating a unique Halloween mood. And then this ending, I know it's wasted in the H5, but I rate H4 here and this ending is brilliant.

So that no one would say that I am only complaining about H18, I will say that Michael Myers is brilliantly portrayed in this film, the cinematography and music are just perfect, lots of great scenes. Allyson is awesome and I can tell you that I wouldn't mind if Karen and Laurie weren't in the movie and she was the lead protagonist.

I will also refer to Scream and these comparisons. The difference between Michael and Ghostface is that Michael is scarier and nobody trash talk him. Ghostface? Yes, but not Michael.

In Halloween Ressurection we get the famous "Trick or treat mother****er", one liner that would fit perfectly in Scream, but not Halloween, So don't compare these movies and tell me that because something works on Scream it will also work on Halloween and vice versa. Each of them has a different tone and style.
”Criticize these movies but don’t say” you lost me at that. You’re basically saying criticize them but only if they line up with how you see them. For me? There is nothing visually interesting in Zombie’s and they lack any type of atmosphere. I don’t care about where Michael was in between holidays. I watched both of them like last year and I couldn’t wait to turn them off. Just horrible from start to finish with the exception of a few solid casting choices. And yes, I believe H18 is a good but flawed film and the Zombies are worthless lol. That’s my opinion.

You’re right that Scream has a different tone than Halloween. And style. But your idea of “grounded in reality” is way off when describing Halloween.

Why is Laurie’s trauma exaggerated?

I say criticize, but fairly, not that one is masterpiece and the other is ****. This is what I say.

Halloween may have supernatural elements, but that doesn't take away from the fact that narratively and stylistically, this movie is grounded in reality, largely because of the characters, their reactions and the slow pace. It's a 1970s movie, and it's compared to Scream, which was made 18 years later as a commentary on horror movies.

Laurie's trauma is exaggerated because we saw a more subtle ptsd in H20 version where Laurie did not become a hermit with a house trap due to the fact that she has a scar on her arm.

This is especially funny when compared to the RZH where Laurie was cut literally everywhere, all over her body. I understand that ptsd is different for everybody, but it's clear that in the case of H18 they wanted to make Laurie a badass who would oppose Michael.

Last edited:
Zombie's Halloween "did its own thing" in the first chunk of the movie, by providing a typical serial killer origin story for Michael. But then the movie pretty much turns into a nearly scene-by-scene remake of the original film...rushing through all of the famous story beats with more kills and violence thrown in.

I was gonna say, it turns into a note for note remake with little variation. Like a greatest hits package. I didn’t catch any real creativity there. Just a trashy backstory trying to explain why Michael became the boogeyman but trying to empathatize with & break down where the boogeyman came from defeats the purpose. It ruins the illusion by the time you see him in the mask. And it’s not like his origin story was interesting either. It’s about the most basic thing you can throw together.

He should have made Texas Chainsaw Massacre. He’s built like a Jason Vorhees or Leatherface. And he kills like them too. He walks like them. If you’re gonna do the Shape either do him properly with the cat-like movements or try something completely fresh so none of us can compare him to a past iconic slasher villain. Zombie was extremely lazy about the whole thing.

I was gonna say, it turns into a note for note remake with little variation. Like a greatest hits package. I didn’t catch any real creativity there.

Of course you didn't.

So it seems that there is no creativity at all in H18 either.

michael-scott-icegif-7.gif

Zombie's Halloween "did its own thing" in the first chunk of the movie, by providing a typical serial killer origin story for Michael. But then the movie pretty much turns into a nearly scene-by-scene remake of the original film...rushing through all of the famous story beats with more kills and violence thrown in.

And it was glorious. Every bit of it........ :D:funny:

Loved that film. But I also really enjoyed H18. So I can coexist with everyone still :cwink:

I too actually enjoyed Halloween III Season of the Witch. While of course its lacking Michael Myers I was still entertained and appreciate it was meant for the Anthology type course from way back when.

I'd go so far to even say I'd welcome back a Halloween Anthology type series. Title the Halloween: Anthology 1, 2 etc. have them take place in the Michael Myers Universe. Have different films about different things or other scary antics or happenings and can have Michael show up occasionally or see a story on him on the news etc. It could be set up almost like a All Hallows Eve films but a single film each instead of a bunch crammed into one film. That helped spawn the Art The Clown stand alone films.

But I'm probably in the minority there. I just enjoy the horror genre as I said before. B-Rated, Classic, New age, it dont matter. I enjoy it all.

H3 is cool. On the one hand, I love this movie and wish they had continued it as an anthology, on the other hand, H4 was released right after that and was also great.

I've nearly finished re-watching the Halloween series. Even with the various timeline jumps and skips and the reset of official sequels and etc. its an enjoyable series. I've enjoyed each film while obviously some stand out as greats while others were more mediocre.

Going off topic a bit, I hope to see Freddy back again soon as well. I know I'm likely in the minority when I say I enjoyed the Nightmare on Elm Street of 2010 remake. Yes, I preferred the original and again, I love different films from the original series but found the remake more enjoyable than some of the sequels. It was good to see a return or should I dare even say an even darker Freddy.
Take the personalities from the dark Freddy from the first film, New Nightmare, the remake and add a bit of cheeky Freddy and I'm one that would even say RZ could probably do that franchise some justice. I've agreed before that Robs usual off-putting/cringey/offensive dialogue can be very out there at times, I've cringed many times lol. But I feel it could be fitting with Freddy. When I say that, make no mistake. I'm not a Rob Zombie fan boy and no I'm not saying I want a RZ horror remake of every franchise. Not at all. While I have really enjoyed several of his films, there are some I'm no fan of at all. I just personally feel he could do Freddy some Justice since Freddy has already been dark as well as cheeky.

I also like this remake. Maybe the characters aren't the best, Rooney Mara was a bit apathetic, but but they weren't so bad. Visually, it looks very good, except for this scene, because it's terrible.

wall2010_orig.jpg

Cinematography and soundtrack were very good imo. Micro dreams were a cool idea, and transition between sleep and reality looked great.

Jackie Eerly Haley was a neat Freddy. It's just a pity that they didn't use alternative ending.

Oh boy, the Elm Street remake.

Its biggest fault. Boring. I fell asleep, which is never a good thing for a horror film.

And I didn't even get a nightmare about Freddy. For shame.

Last edited:
I did admire how Jeff Cutter shot it and some of the direction was interesting, but that script was so lackluster.

I agree the ANOES remake was awful and boring. Haley wasn’t a good Freddy—he just played a creepier Rorschach. If any series deserves the “we ignored all the bad sequels” it’s ANOES. Bring Englund back one more time!

Bring back Patricia Arquette and Robert Englund. Make a proper sequel to Dream Warriors and close it off as if it’s a trilogy.

Bring back Larry Fishburne while you’re at it. Dream Warriors was Morpheus origin story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"