"The Joker" in development with Todd Phillips and Martin Scorsese attached? - Part 1

Discussion in 'DC Comics Films' started by Thread Manager, Jun 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Exactly. Simple as that.

Solid way of looking at it. At this point after Letoker, its hard to imagine a worse Joker incarnation. So in that regard they can only go up. How far up they go is another story.

2. Wheels

Wheels Eat my shorts

Um this post makes zero sense. I never said this Joker film would be successful. Just that Gotham did the Batman without Batman idea.

Joker as a character works best with Batman, I think most would agree with that sentiment, but this movie could still be entertaining

3. Brother Jack

Brother Jack Believer

Other than Scorsese, though who knows to what degree he'll be directly involved, Phoenix is about the only reason I'm interested in this. You're talking about a guy that does not take any role for a paycheck. The very fact that he's interested at all implies that there's something to this.

4. Greens

Greens I am Danny DeVito

Who knows, maybe Phoenix changes his mind. He hasn't gone through the experience of playing the character yet.

5. Wheels

Wheels Eat my shorts

Eh, just give me Superman movie set in the 30s/40s and I'll get on board with this separate brand deal.

6. Boom

Boom I got nothin'

It's like I said on the Bat Boards. I don't think it's so much that Phoenix is adamantly against the idea of sequels or playing the same character multiple times. I think what gives him pause is the idea of signing a multi-film contract blind. Had he signed on for Doctor Strange, for example, he'd have committed to a minimum of three solo films and three Avengers films, five of which don't even have scripts. Just from reading Phoenix's comments on the last page, obviously reading the script and sitting down with the director is an important process for him. You definitely get the sense that signing onto a film that doesn't have a script or director in place worries him. You quell those fears, and he may prove more receptive.

So yeah. If this movie comes out and he crushes it, and down the road Reeves wants to re-introduce The Joker in a proper Batman film, perhaps WB arranges Phoenix to sit down with him and see if he'd be interested in coming back. That's about all you can do.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  7. Greens

Greens I am Danny DeVito

Good point. He just wants to do things on a case by case basis.

8. Chip Chipperson

Chip Chipperson apparently words go here, I guess

That would be amazing

Superman in an Art Deco inspired metropolis is one of my dream films

9. Boom

Boom I got nothin'

That's my theory anyway. Obviously he could say something tomorrow that proves me wrong, but my understanding is he was very deep in talks for Doctor Strange. You don't get "deep in talks" if you're not interested.

10. Gothamsknight

Gothamsknight Well-Known Member

This is how I feel at this point in all honestly. I will say that Phoenix is definitely the thing that has me most curious about this since he's such a good actor. What i do think is that it'll be better than letos joker thats for sure, and I think if anything in this film is definitely gonna deliver, it's Phoenix.

11. Flint Marko

Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

I had no idea how badly I wanted that until now.

12. Nemeres

Nemeres Easy, miss. I've got you.

The Joker's been the villain in two pretty defining Batman films. It's ok to momentarily take him out of that context at this point, I think. If new Batman/Joker films don't measure up or fail to stand out as something not redundant, you'd be doing that Joker actor no favors.

As for Leto's Joker, I don't think it's horrible-horrible. But it felt partly like recycled Ledgerisms. The voice, for instance: nasal when funny, raspy when scary. A lot of energy put into something only half-cooked. While the elements that are new seem to just be there to complement the tone of the film. The fact that his role is relatively small makes everything about him feel like only a superficial addition.

13. Pennywise

Pennywise Well-Known Member

https://www.moviefone.com/2018/07/11/exclusive-joaquin-phoenix-talks-taking-on-the-joker/I

14. Grommers

Grommers Well-Known Member

I think this will be actually really promising, at first I didn't know if a Joker film could work, but after reading "Brian Azarello's Joker"

I'm totally down for a standalone joker movie, unlike many other villains, I think he's a character that can stand on his own. Also if this movie is outside of the DCEU even better, although they should really improve on Leto joker before releasing this one, to solidify his character.

15. m1ll3r

m1ll3r Failed experiment

Me either. That sounds incredible. Fleicher’s Superman made flesh? Wow.

16. m1ll3r

m1ll3r Failed experiment

Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against a Batman free Joker story (Bermejo) but a Batman free Joker origin story? No. Just no. That’s the only point I was making.

17. Boom

Boom I got nothin'

See, I don't think him popping up in a Batman film is entirely out of the question. Just sit him down with Matt Reeves and a script and see if it clicks.

18. Flint Marko

Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

Yup. Any and everything is on the table at this point far as I'm concerned. It's just too early to say no to any possibility.

19. m1ll3r

m1ll3r Failed experiment

Jesus. They’d have to make sure their Batman was extremely good to go toe to toe with Phoenix if he’s on a roll as Joker. Bale pretty much managed to keep up with Ledger, but it was touch and go. The actor playing Batman would have to be on the top of his game. It certainly couldn’t be Affleck.

I could also see Phoenix’s Joker fulfilling a Hannibal Lecter type role, more than being the main villain.

20. Deck Rickard

Deck Rickard Crashing into Blockbuster like whoa

I love this idea.

And they could even use it to launch a shared universe if they wanted to, because Superman doesn't age like normal people do. So they could include him in a modern day JL movie, but also have a trilogy of 1940s solo adventures with him, establishing him as "the original" superhero.

21. terry78

terry78 I'm gonna need more rope

I do hate that Gyllenhaal isn't available now. Though they are playing off each other in the Sisters Brothers.

22. Deck Rickard

LOL yeah, I knew nothing about that movie until I saw a preview before... Solo, maybe? I was like, "WTF is this?" And then I was like, "Jaoquin Phoenix is in this? What?!!"

23. m1ll3r

m1ll3r Failed experiment

Yes. That’s a great shame. The fact he’d rather go play a man with a goldfish bowl on his head is rather telling of how the DC movies are regarded these days.

24. Deck Rickard

Hahahaha seriously.

But hey, The Guard thinks the DCEU is awesome, so maybe we just aren’t sophisticated enough to understand WB's brilliance or something.

25. Gothamsknight

Gothamsknight Well-Known Member

If that indeed does happen at some point, I truly hope affleck is out and out for good. A clean slate is absolutely needed from the stuff we've gotten recently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.