Justice League The Justice League General & Speculation Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - Part 48

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think thats necessarily true Harle. I think good actors are always going to be attracted to DC movies with scripts that interest them. Theres still lots of A list talent attached to the DCEU and although it hasnt lived up to its potential like Marvel has, theyve all (besides JL) been commercially successful movies. They also havent been close to Catwoman, Jonah Hex, Superman Returns, Green Lantern level disasters. If the DCEU was pumping out those kinds of movies left and right then yes, I'd agree, no one would wanna touch DC.

I dont think thats necessarily true Harle. I think good actors are always going to be attracted to DC movies with scripts that interest them. Theres still lots of A list talent attached to the DCEU and although it hasnt lived up to its potential like Marvel has, theyve all (besides JL) been commercially successful movies. They also havent been close to Catwoman, Jonah Hex, Superman Returns, Green Lantern level disasters. If the DCEU was pumping out those kinds of movies left and right then yes, I'd agree, no one would wanna touch DC.

Superman Returns doesn't belong in that list IMO. It wasn't a disaster and for it's time did alright at the box office out preforming all of Marvel's phase one movies expect for Iron Man and out preformed Batman Begins. It also did well with the critics however was received by the fans with mix opinions liked MOS, SvB were. So I wouldn't call that movie a disaster.

Superman Returns doesn't belong in that list IMO. It wasn't a disaster and for it's time did alright at the box office out preforming all of Marvel's phase one movies expect for Iron Man and out preformed Batman Begins. It also did well with the critics however was received by the fans with mix opinions liked MOS, SvB were. So I wouldn't call that movie a disaster.

SR also had a much higher budget than the phase 1 Marvel films, especially once inflation is factored in. So, it making around the same amount of money as those movies isn't really the same.

Don't most of those actors also look for franchise potential most of the time?

With DCEU there is none. It's on extremely shaky ground, all of it.

SR also had a much higher budget than the phase 1 Marvel films, especially once inflation is factored in. So, it making around the same amount of money as those movies isn't really the same.

But it wasn't a disaster. It did alright box office wise and made it's movie back and made a profit. Just not as much as the WB was looking for. It also was fairly liked by the critics and GA and that is saying something for a superhero movie with hardly any action. I still say if they threw a villain into that movie for Superman to fight as well it would've done much better.

But it wasn't a disaster. It did alright box office wise and made it's movie back and made a profit. Just not as much as the WB was looking for. It also was fairly liked by the critics and GA and that is saying something for a superhero movie with hardly any action. I still say if they threw a villain into that movie for Superman to fight as well it would've done much better.

I know the budget is skewed because it factors in other projects, so let's call the production budget 200 mil for SR (it is listed at 270, but again...accounting factors in other Superman projects). When it comes to BO, rule of thumb is it needs to make twice the production budget to earn profit. SR only made $391,081,192 in WW BO. Therefore, it fell short of that rule. That 200mil I project also doesn't factor in the marketing costs. So, WB would have lost money on SR based on ticket sales. That's not a good performance for a movie on that budget.

I know the budget is skewed because it factors in other projects, so let's call the production budget 200 mil for SR (it is listed at 270, but again...accounting factors in other Superman projects). When it comes to BO, rule of thumb is it needs to make twice the production budget to earn profit. SR only made $391,081,192 in WW BO. Therefore, it fell short of that rule. That 200mil I project also doesn't factor in the marketing costs. So, WB would have lost money on SR based on ticket sales. That's not a good performance for a movie on that budget.
budget was 180 (according to Singer). Then you after that you add on close to another 100 million for all the other Superman movies budgets (including Burton's Superman and Abrams Superman both which were deep into production.

budget was 180. Then you after that you add on close to another 100 million for all the other Superman movies budgets (including Burton's Superman and Abrams Superman both which were deep into production.

Once marketing is factored in, then it was probably close to $250mil (based on the $180 figure). Again, that is basically breaking even (give or take a few mil either way). On a Superman film, you want to see that turn into profit.

Once marketing is factored in, then it was probably close to $250mil (based on the $180 figure). Again, that is basically breaking even (give or take a few mil either way). On a Superman film, you want to see that turn into profit.
But it wasn't a disaster and many elements of Superman Returns is still used today even in the comics. It also has given us what many would say the best superhero moment on screen with the plane rescue.

While I agree with most of your post, Superman Returns is not what I call as a 'disaster', hell.. they were still thinking of making a sequel to it but changed their minds after Bryan Singer's pitch for the sequel didn't impress the powers to be.

But it wasn't a disaster and many elements of Superman Returns is still used today even in the comics. It also has given us what many would say the best superhero moment on screen with the plane rescue.

Disaster is a strong word, but I think disappointment is very appropriate.

I hated Superman Returns myself, but I am just examining the BO in this case.

While I agree with most of your post, Superman Returns is not what I call as a 'disaster', hell.. they were still thinking of making a sequel to it but changed their minds after Bryan Singer's pitch for the sequel didn't impress the powers to be.

No what stopped the sequel was Justice League: Mortal. Hell, that movie almost stopped The Dark Knight Rises. Because WB wanted Singers movie to lead into Justice League with Routh and Bale and for the most part use that sequel option in Bale's contract for that movie. When both Bale and Nolan said no to that JL:M came about where they were going to use that movie as a starting point for all the other heroes and a reboot as sort as well. However Nolan's TDK did great and Inception did great as well and the writer's strike made the plans change.

Last edited:
Disaster is a strong word, but I think disappointment is very appropriate.

I hated Superman Returns myself, but I am just examining the BO in this case.

I'll agree with that because while I loved the movie. They left out a lot of the main plot points on the cutting room floor much like how they tried to with Superman v Batman.

No what stopped the sequel was Justice League: Mortal. Hell, that movie almost stopped The Dark Knight Rises. Because WB wanted Singers movie to lead into Justice League with Routh and Bale and for the most part use that sequel option in Bale's contract for that movie. When both Bale and Nolan said no to that JL:M came about where they were going to use that movie as a starting point for all the other heroes and a reboot as sort as well. However Nolan's TDK did great and Inception did great as well that plans changed.

I don't know what JLM has to do with anything. All I know is Singer did make his pitch with storyboards to WB Exces and they rejected it, it was after Singer had completed his World War 2 movie, Valkyrie (and after Writer's strike was over).

I don't know what JLM has to do with anything. All I know is Singer did make his pitch with storyboards to WB Exces and they rejected it, it was after Singer had completed his World War 2 movie, Valkyrie (and after Writer's strike was over).
Valkyrie played a part too because it was supposed to have been a short project that turned into something much bigger and the WB felt disrespected and rightfully so when he had no contact with them and didn't tell them that production on the movie is going to start later than planned. But the original script for Mortal or their JL movie was centered around Routh's and Bale's Superman and Batman however when getting Bale onboard fell through they wanted to reboot the whole thing with Mortal that way beating Marvel to the punch with Avengers and getting their shared world too.

I think DC is still attracting high-level talent both in front of and behind the camera. We haven't really seen a change in that. It is still attracting directors like Ava Duvernay and Spielberg (though his movie could be more standalone), and with such directors they will attract big name casts. I don't really see a change happening there and I can still see big actors vying for these roles in Batman, New Gods, Batgirl, Birds of Prey etc. I mean, if Venom for Sony can attract the cast that it has it shows that, while there may be stumbles along the way, big actors still go for movies in the superhero genre, even with companies that have screwed up, had bombs or disappointments etc.

Also, as we've seen, these directors and actors can be drawn to this material simply because they have an affinity/attachment to certain properties. Like Spielberg and the Blackhawks, or Tom Hardy loving the Venom character. Matt Reeves loves Batman, and signed up amidst all the chaos surrounding BvS and Affleck stepping down as director. And I'm sure many actors want to work with Matt Reeves, not to mention to play the role of Batman.

Yeah once big name directors are involved, A list actors will follow. Admittedly, for Marvel, even when they hire not so famous directors, they still attract A list actors.

Yeah once big name directors are involved, A list actors will follow. Admittedly, for Marvel, even when they hire not so famous directors, they still attract A list actors.

Which is why DC needs a Feige like figure at the top

So I ask all of you how would you fix the Justice League film? How would you make it better? How would you make this film better if you were in charge of writing/casting?

I wanna see the approaches you all would take

Which other heroes would you have joining the League? Instead of Steppenwolf who would you have as villain?

To build this shared universe of course I would have Darkseid show up but like Thanos he would show up not in the mid credits but in the post credits and the mid credits could be the Lex/Deathstroke scene

Yes, I think at the moment however much an actor might love a particular DC character the choice of director is going to be the factor in their decision. You can't blame them for thinking long-term CV.

I wouldn't go into details, but the least they should have done is to re-write 3 rd act. Set the finale with a wider scope, somewhere near the water.

Have someone else to help Steppenwolf, like Kalibak and one (or two) female furies alongwith Parademons.

All this would have increased the budget tremendously .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"