Justice League The Justice League General & Speculation Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 50

Superman saves people and then everyone talks at him about what he supposedly means while he silently stands there looking mildly annoyed.

Lather, rinse, repeat for two straight movies.

I said this in another thread but the answer for most of DC woes at the moment is very simple: cast a new Superman and Batman, and then move forward on those projects. That's it. Repair the broken 2/3 of the trinity. Once you do that everyone will stop mulching over what went wrong in the past and start building hype towards the future.
That could be a possibility if the rumours, as weak as they may be of WW/flashpoint movie retconning events/time line.

If they did go that way, i would hope that Clark choses himself to be Superman, makes a suit and goes out there being the best person he can be. That would feel a stark contrast to MOS/BvS. Almost have it so Clark only knows he was found on a ship, nothing else - his folks are still around etc. I would love a modern interpretation of the Reeve suit. Anyways, anything, if anything.... is years away.

He saved the school children from drowning without anyone telling him to save them, and he saved those workers at Oil Rig from fire without anyone telling him. So, it's not like he was not saving people before Pa Kent / Jor El told him to.

maybe

I think anyone in his shoes would have reacted and saved the people in those incidences - hopefully anyways - with his powers he couldn't just sit and watch. I think maybe some people wanted to see him out there around the globe, or city/state at least, doing what he can, looking to help people - it would have really drummed in if he chose to be a hero, embrace his powers or if he were still unsure of what to do.
As a kid, he naturally helped, then had his dad confuse the whole situation by saying 'maybe' sit back and watch - then to actually be told by his dad 'don't save me' that must have been a messed up thing for a young man to see - to go back home, with his mum and think to himself, my father is dead and i could have saved him - it would have been interesting if clark just instinctively went over and saved him - seeing the crowd react could have been a defining moment, good or bad. To be honest, those by standers would have had a cool story to tell, but who would have believed them?? That was one of the moments in MOS i felt Snyder got wrong - compared to say a heart attack which clark would be helpless against.

I think anyone in his shoes would have reacted and saved the people in those incidences - hopefully anyways - with his powers he couldn't just sit and watch. I think maybe some people wanted to see him out there around the globe, or city/state at least, doing what he can, looking to help people - it would have really drummed in if he chose to be a hero, embrace his powers or if he were still unsure of what to do.
As a kid, he naturally helped, then had his dad confuse the whole situation by saying 'maybe' sit back and watch - then to actually be told by his dad 'don't save me' that must have been a messed up thing for a young man to see - to go back home, with his mum and think to himself, my father is dead and i could have saved him - it would have been interesting if clark just instinctively went over and saved him - seeing the crowd react could have been a defining moment, good or bad. To be honest, those by standers would have had a cool story to tell, but who would have believed them?? That was one of the moments in MOS i felt Snyder got wrong - compared to say a heart attack which clark would be helpless against.

When Lois catches up to him at the cemetery, she says he couldn't disappear completely because that would mean would have to stop saving people, something she stated he couldn't do. The very reason Lois was able to track him down was due to all the good deeds over his lifetime.

When Lois catches up to him at the cemetery, she says he couldn't disappear completely because that would mean would have to stop saving people, something she stated he couldn't do. The very reason Lois was able to track him down was due to all the good deeds over his lifetime.

That's indeed true.. not sure how it relates to my post tho, unless you are saying it shows he goes out looking to save, or just happens to be at the right time, right place.

I think, with most of the DCEU films, a lot isn't shown, but spoken about, in comparison to other movies - so the GA may miss certain lines or not pick up on it - therefor leaving them with the kinda questions people above have been asking (what or who made him be the hero). We were seen with him reacting to situations in front of him.. but lois appears to state otherwise, but it's ambiguous.

The oil rig scene is closest to that as i believe he hears it over the radio then races out - but to really cement it, it could have been cool if he were at home or work, then heard something on the radio or tv and then went and helped... either way, what's done is done - good call though as i totally missed that line by lois!! :)

I was just reacting to the post above about anyone would do the things he did if in his situation, but that scene (among others) shows us it was in him to help people. Also just adding to the general discussion about whether he is just following his two dads or has a mind of his own.

The oil rig scene is closest to that as i believe he hears it over the radio then races out - but to really cement it, it could have been cool if he were at home or work, then heard something on the radio or tv and then went and helped... either way, what's done is done - good call though as i totally missed that line by lois!! :)

He did the exact thing in BvS. Heard about the fire on TV(while he was following Bruce) and went to save the girl.

Or in MOS, when he was working as a waiter, and he saw a trucker sexually harass the waitress. The two military guys did nothing but just laugh it off. Just "guys having some fun". Clark stepped in.

He did the exact thing in BvS. Heard about the fire on TV(while he was following Bruce) and went to save the girl.

Or in MOS, when he was working as a waiter, and he saw a trucker sexually harass the waitress. The two military guys did nothing but just laugh it off. Just "guys having some fun". Clark stepped in.

Good observations there Idiot09, but would have worked better in MOS (the BvS fire) as it really sets apart his fathers views - the waiter incident, you don't need to be superman to do that, just a decent human being... which demonstrates clarks good family values and upbringing.. please don't justify that that is what makes him super... that would be lowering the bar.

First, I appreciate the fact that you are being civil while disagreeing. That's rare around these parts. Kudos.

but would have worked better in MOS (the BvS fire) as it really sets apart his fathers views

Disagreed. I think it jives with both of his father's views. Jor El's view that he could be the best of both worlds, and Pa Kent's view that he was meant for greater things, and that when the day came, his shoulders would be able to bear the weight. Pa never wanted him to always hide himself. He just wanted to wait for the right moment, protect his son a tad bit longer(an incredibly natural thing to do as a parent). He never told him to not save people. He just knew that the consequences of that could be far far devastating than a single life lost, hence he was conflicted, as every good man would be.

the waiter incident, you don't need to be superman to do that, just a decent human being... which demonstrates clarks good family values and upbringing.. please don't justify that that is what makes him super... that would be lowering the bar.

Maybe we disagree on what makes him Super. For me its not his powers, a lot of superheroes have powers. Its his innately good heart, his ability to make people see their better selves, and his willingness to stand upto bullies.

First, I appreciate the fact that you are being civil while disagreeing. That's rare around these parts. Kudos.

Disagreed. I think it jives with both of his father's views. Jor El's view that he could be the best of both worlds, and Pa Kent's view that he was meant for greater things, and that when the day came, his shoulders would be able to bear the weight. Pa never wanted him to always hide himself. He just wanted to wait for the right moment, protect his son a tad bit longer(an incredibly natural thing to do as a parent). He never told him to not save people. He just knew that the consequences of that could be far far devastating than a single life lost, hence he was conflicted, as every good man would be.

Maybe we disagree on what makes him Super. For me its not his powers, a lot of superheroes have powers. Its his innately good heart, his ability to make people see their better selves, and his willingness to stand upto bullies.

I agree - It shows us (those of us afraid to speak up) to speak up and act.. which is great - but I also like the greater acts he does, simply because you come across as someone who would speak up in public.. and I would love for that to be the norm with everyone - but maybe it’s due to us reading comics and aspiring to be like superman? (As an example - his death in BVS was a great example)

I think what it boils down to, for me anyways - is that Snyder is a unique director who layers his work and leaves more questions than statements - for me, it maybe just me being lazy but I like leaving the cinema talking about what I saw, not what I think I saw or it means - if that makes sense? Like MOS was great but I walked out thinking ‘damn I can’t wait for MOS 2 as it looks to be heading in the direction I want and love’.. lol 4 years later and here we are!!
Anyways - enjoy ya weekend

I think what it boils down to, for me anyways - is that Snyder is a unique director who layers his work and leaves more questions than statements - for me, it maybe just me being lazy but I like leaving the cinema talking about what I saw, not what I think I saw or it means - if that makes sense? Like MOS was great but I walked out thinking ‘damn I can’t wait for MOS 2 as it looks to be heading in the direction I want and love’.. lol 4 years later and here we are!!
Anyways - enjoy ya weekend

I actually love this quote from one of my favourite directors, Denis Villeneuve :

"I think that the world is very complex. I think that movies are a good way to ask questions. To give answers, you would write a lot of books. You can maybe do the whole journey over several movies maybe but I think that I like to approach reality with humility. If I had all the answers, I’d be a happy director, a happier human being, but I don’t. So for now, I have more questions than answers."

Oh and a good day to you too!

Yup. They did this in Smallville as well.
And the Donner/Singer films too, I think??

Now that I think about it, I think it's an element that's been present in almost every version, and it makes sense; it's not easy to make a rock look threatening, but by making it light up when close to Superman or any Kryptonian it shows you that it has an effect on them. It's a nice visual trick.

And the Donner/Singer films too, I think??

Now that I think about it, I think it's an element that's been present in almost every version, and it makes sense; it's not easy to make a rock look threatening, but by making it light up when close to Superman or any Kryptonian it shows you that it has an effect on them. It's a nice visual trick.

I liked how kryptonite effected him in the early seasons of Smallville. They had the veins popping out and the sound effect they used when that happened made it sound extremely painful to endure. It was the first and only time I feel kryptonite seemed truly threatening. Wish they'd use that approach more. Later on in the seasons they got rid of that and just had Tom fall down and look constipated.

Kryptonite ring needs an appearance and we need to see Clark Kent hide his reaction to it.. with either Lex realising or Clark asking for help!!

I liked how kryptonite effected him in the early seasons of Smallville. They had the veins popping out and the sound effect they used when that happened made it sound extremely painful to endure. It was the first and only time I feel kryptonite seemed truly threatening. Wish they'd use that approach more. Later on in the seasons they got rid of that and just had Tom fall down and look constipated.
I like the veins thing, they didn't go as far in BvS, but you could certainly see the effect on Clark's complexion, since kryptonite is meant to be "toxic" to Kryptonians, it should have a very visible "radiation" like effect.
I don't remember the sound effect, then again I was never that big on Smallville so I don't remember lots of details.

Kryptonite definitely had a ringing sound to it in BvS, like a highpitched noise.

I loved how it seemed like it cut off his airways aswell in BvS. Truly painful

One year ago I was in the cinema for the midnight showing. I was so excited...

Yeah. They thought this would be a great way to start the movie.

aQJuZDw.jpg

I had almost forgotten that today marked the one year anniversary of what is undoubtedly the BIGGEST disappointment in comic book film history.

In what was supposed to have been the culmination of several larger than life heroes coming together as one, ended up being the film that destroyed the future franchises of half of these heroes (i.e. Superman, Ben's Batman, and Cyborg).

To think that we live in an era where the likes of the "Fast and Furious", "Venom", and "Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle" franchises can all gross more than the Justice League brand is just sad to think about.

Frankly, it's because of the failure of "Justice League" that makes me doubt that we will ever see another live action Justice League or Superman film ever again. Simply put, I have a easier time believing that we will see most of the original six Avengers (i.e. Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow, and Hawkeye) appearing alongside the X-Men in future Marvel films, despite most of their contracts being up by that point, than I do in seeing another Justice League or Superman film within the next 10 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"