Justice League The Justice League General & Speculation Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 50

We know at the latest it was early '13 as there's concept art of the Batmobile and Batcave around that time.

I don't doubt WB were more than willing to "push" Zack towards a shared universe, but by Zack's own admission it was he who introduced Batman into the conversation. And things just snowballed from there, as I'm sure any DC fan's would when given the keys to the kingdom.

There has been zero talk about any MOS trilogy from what I recall. Feel free to cite those sources if I'm wrong.

I think Zack's initial intention when signing on was a Superman trilogy but I think you said it best when mentioning how things snowballed. It seems like there was so much Man of Steel needed to cover that it acted as all things in the both the short and longterm. It really didn't take long for the media and critics to weigh in on Man of Steel being the gateway to Justice League. That's all it became so the enormous pressure to not only reboot Superman but to have that open universe concept if it came to it really put unrealistic expectations on wanting things fast tracked and ultimately, that's what they did. They rushed.

I never said there was no story, just that they forced scenes with a totally different tone over it, resulting in a diluted story from what we were gonna get. The story was *worse* because of studio meddling.

I honestly don't see what you see, i saw brief glimpses of a good movie with a good story and good characters in the theatrical cut, but that is all that they were, brief glimpses, we got a deformed story and characters.

It's not deformed, though. It's a complete story, with complete character arcs. The characters are pretty recognizeably the characters.

I understand what you're saying, in that there was even more that may have gone into the film, other story points, origin elements, etc. But based on the track record seen in BVS and to a lesser degree, WATCHMEN, including those elements may actually have resulted in a less cohesive film.

The jokes were awful, most of them from reshoots, some decent from before.

Some of the jokes were awful. Like two or three of them are just lousy. Plenty of people liked much of the humor. It clearly did not all land, but not every piece of humor in JUSTICE LEAGUE is awful, or lowbrow, or what have you. Quite a lot it works, not just as a humorous moment, but a character point.

I think i am not understanding at all your point, how is it BvS less cohesive than JL, which is practically two movies into one?

Because BVS was less cohesive. It may have been a better crafted film, but it was less cohesive.

It just was.

I liked BVS a lot, but it's difficult to argue that BVS somehow conveyed its meanings and themes (meanings and themes that are still being debated) more effectively than JUSTICE LEAGUE did, or that it is more apparent how the scenes in BVS fit together than the ones in JUSTICE LEAGUE do.

JUSTICE LEAGUE was a far more straightforward film, storywise, thematically and structurally, even morally. If anything, it was perhaps too straightforward. But that does not lead to a lack of cohesion.

BvS is leading somewhere from the very first scene, JL is a frankenstein monster, that it also has a certain coherence if you imagine that is one movie, but when you are watching a scene and the scene is interrupted by another scene with the same actors shot in the same place with the same clothes and everything but feels totally different in tone, there is where it loses the "cohesive" part, if you get what i mean which is kinda hard to explain.

The scenes in JUSTICE LEAGUE all lead somewhere, too. They don't exactly "meander" through the film with no relevance or purpose. They are clearly structured, clearly related from a story and thematic standpoint, and generally appropriately paced as well. If Whedon did something well in the film, it was that. The character arcs are clear, well drawn, and generally well executed for an ensemble film with such weird concepts in it.

I don't recall a sequence in JL where within a single scene, "everything felt different in tone" to the degree that you are referring. Maybe compared to the same scene in trailers, but not within the same scene.

I recall some moments where Ben Affleck's hair was styled differently (because Aquaman had just thrown him against a wall) or Aquaman was standing in brighter lighting with a more garish background than he previously had been, but you'd have to be more specific beyond that. The filmmakers were pretty careful to reshoot key portions of the film, which is why some of the key moments in trailers differ from the corresponding sequence in the film itself. Yes, I know that some sequences in the film are clearly part of the reshoot process, but that's based on a knowledge and endless discussion of said reshoots. I doubt the average person would notice, and in fact, there are people who didn't even notice Superman's CGI mouth until it was pointed out to them.

Look, you can find continuity issues or minor differences in reshoots in almost any film, if you know where to look or look hard enough. Those kinds of things just don't bother me. I know I'm watching a movie that someone made on different days, I'm not looking to poke holes in the illusion any more than I have to.

Not only that, but both WW and AM have a clear Snyder influence in the way they are shot, they were all in this together before the studio ruined everything (how scummy is to have "directed by Zack Snyder" in the Justice League movie by the way)

He directed a lot of it. There are directors guild rules about this stuff.

DC was always darker, it is more mythological, while Marvel is more "cheerful" (but the base of Marvel and all superhero stories is tragedy) and human. I still cannot believe how WB ruined everything, we could have both DC and Marvel shared universe just like in the comic books, instead we have a total mess.

You realize that in the comics, there are times things don't work, right? Changes have to be made because something wasn't received well. I don't think everything has been ruined in the least. The DC universe is bigger than one or two characters, villains or storylines. One of them didn't work as well as it could have. There are so, so many that still could.

A movie franchise is never going to be just like the comic books, with hundreds of intertwining stories and characters. Nor should it be. The focus of the DCEU needs to be on making good films that honor the characters and their mythologies, not on simply blowing it up into a universe at every opportunity.

Last edited:
For a superhero film in 1992? Yes. Yes it was.
No probs if that’s your opinion (and I’m sure others share it), but I was also old enough in 1992 to know what I thought. There were other films of the era that I felt were too dark but Batman Returns wasn’t one of them.

I was 6 years old when Returns came out and I was obsessed with that movie. To this day I consider that one of the seminal films of my childhood that shaped my artistic sensibilities. That, Terminator 2 and TMNT (1990). Dunno what that says about me :funny:

I was 6 years old when Returns came out and I was obsessed with that movie. To this day I consider that one of the seminal films of my childhood that shaped my artistic sensibilities. That, Terminator 2 and TMNT (1990). Dunno what that says about me :funny:

I have a soft spot for Returns myself. I was 4 when that came out and vividly remember the Batman craze then. I remember going to McDonalds or Burger King and seeing all the plastic cups and all that . The 90's was a Batman/X-Men/Power Ranger craze for sure.

I was 8 when BR came, the good old days :waa:by that time i was also fan of Freddie Krueger, IT, The Omen, Child's Play and stuff like that, so... Batman Returns was not dark for me at all, it was normal i guess

Spoiler for Birds of Prey
4yr34crsd7e21.jpg

She crossed out Puddin :/

R.I.P Leto's Joker

I was 8 when BR came, the good old days :waa:by that time i was also fan of Freddie Krueger, IT, The Omen, Child's Play and stuff like that, so... Batman Returns was not dark for me at all, it was normal i guess

SAME. A Nightmare on Elm Street is my favorite horror film of all time and Krueger for me is the Superman of horror so to speak. Love 'em. Another character I hope can be done justice again. Definitely a Reeve/Englund thing there. The majority just can't see anyone else in that role.

SAME. A Nightmare on Elm Street is my favorite horror film of all time and Krueger for me is the Superman of horror so to speak. Love 'em. Another character I hope can be done justice again. Definitely a Reeve/Englund thing there. The majority just can't see anyone else in that role.

Hopefully, the last reboot of Krueger was lowkey bad idk, didnt liked the makeup/whatever they did with his face

Kinda remarkable how...."alive" conversation about this movie is more than a year after it's release. Not just on the forums but the geek media seems to still be thriving on "Snyder Cut" articles whenever a new tidbit pops up. Which, by the way, seems to just keep coming and coming every time we think it's died down. Last week it was the Kevin Smith info, the week before it was that guy from the test screenings. I've never seen any film that just refuses to be forgotten like this one.

I was 6 years old as well and I'll always remember Returns as the movie that my Mom acted scandalized by after taking me to see it. She was soooo disturbed by the Penguin, she thought she'd traumatized me or something. Granted, this is a woman who, shortly after that, took me to see the R-rated Last of the Mohicans, in which people got scalped and burned alive, and she thought nothing of that for some reason...but no, the Penguin was just too much for young eyes. :funny:

I was 6 years old as well and I'll always remember Returns as the movie that my Mom acted scandalized by after taking me to see it. She was soooo disturbed by the Penguin, she thought she'd traumatized me or something. Granted, this is a woman who, shortly after that, took me to see the R-rated Last of the Mohicans, in which people got scalped and burned alive, and she thought nothing of that for some reason...but no, the Penguin was just too much for young eyes. :funny:

It was a different area, wasnt it. Kids entertainment wasnt dumbed down and censored as much as at it later became. Soccer moms ruined everything. Lol

nnn.. my parents even bought me toys and lil penguins, maybe by that time those lil cute animasl became my fave animal :funny:
My mom was more worry because i used to like horror films and til this day she doesnt get why i like that stuff :funny:

It was a different area, wasnt it. Kids entertainment wasnt dumbed down and censored as much as at it later became. Soccer moms ruined everything. Lol

Yep, we had back then Thundercats and Mumm-Ra, scary ****, and now kids have Squidward and Baby Shark :funny:

I never cared for Batman Returns. It didn't seem dark to me, it seemed silly but not funny. But then, I think Mars Attacks is the Burton film I enjoyed, so it's probably just stylistic taste.

I recently rewatched Batman Returns and liked it better than ever before.

Auteur CBMs is my jam now, the more unique the better.

When Batman '89 came out I remember being a little disappointed as it was pretty different that the Batman from the comics (who was already close to what we see today-- I say that because a lot of people think Batman '89 brought the gritty Batman back from the camp version, and while that may be true for the general public, it's not true for the comics), so the very set-piece-y feel and weird tone was a bit of a turnoff, though I really liked Keaton as Bruce. But I've come to like it for what it is.

Batman Returns I've only seen a couple of times. I found it to be too out there and the Penguin grosses me out. Ewww.

Wooow, now that would probably destroy me... Imagine him done in the Steppy-horror style!!!!!

Makes me really sad again.

Well you have to remember what Jay said a while ago everything that was storyboard for this movie was shot. So it's out there just waiting to be released.

Kinda remarkable how...."alive" conversation about this movie is more than a year after it's release. Not just on the forums but the geek media seems to still be thriving on "Snyder Cut" articles whenever a new tidbit pops up. Which, by the way, seems to just keep coming and coming every time we think it's died down. Last week it was the Kevin Smith info, the week before it was that guy from the test screenings. I've never seen any film that just refuses to be forgotten like this one.

i think this is also evidence of how well loved the Justice League is.

they're the OG superhero team - before the fantastic four, before the avengers.

people really want to see the first ever movie of them to be done...justice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"