The NEW Batman?

Anywho, moving on...

I agree with with stillanerd.

Batman is not just a costume or disguise that Bruce Wayn wears. It's how he really is. Otherwise, Batman can't work as a character.

I think the is the strongest argument yet.

For...what.

Guess what. If Bruce is dead, there is no way one of his boys doesn't put on the suit. And start acting like Batman. And then they're Batman.

Haven't we had elseworld stories where there was someone else in the batsuit and they were just as every bit "Batman" as Bruce was....

For...what.

Guess what. If Bruce is dead, there is no way one of his boys doesn't put on the suit. And start acting like Batman. And then they're Batman.

Ummmm, no sorry. It takes more than acting to be Batman.

Unfortunately, and by unfortunately I mean luckily, you aren't a Batman writer.:up:

Unfortunately, and by unfortunately I mean luckily, you aren't a Batman writer.:up:

It's a good thing your not writing Batman becuase it's clear you don't know the first thing about him.

*looks everyone sternly*

hey.

Hey.

HEEEEY.

Come on big guy. YOu're better than this.

It's a good thing your not writing Batman becuase it's clear you don't know the first thing about him.

Excpet he does and he proilly knows the second, the third and the fourth thing as well.

I think it will be mixed when it comes to TDK but to be honest i think it will mainly be positive.

Excpet he does and he proilly knows the second, the third and the fourth thing as well.

I think it will be mixed when t ocmes to TDK but to ne honets it will mainly be positive.

How do know what he knows? Maybe he's just talking out his arse! He hasn't proven to me that he knows anything. :woot:

WTF? :huh:

Back on topic...

Let's see who has the highest vote. Which person do YOU WANT to take over?

1. Dick
2. Tim
3. Jason
4. Damien
5. No one, he won't die!

How do know what he knows? Maybe he's just talking out his arse! He hasn't proven to me that he knows anything. :woot:

WTF? :huh:

Well considering i have been here a hell of alot longer than you have and read alot of Not Jakes postes I would say he knows a fair amount.

Not to mention the fact that you know literally zero about Bat-lore its safe to assume he does know what he is talking about as well. Maybe its you who should stop talking out of his arse.

If you did know anything you know Dick and Tim would pick the mantle up in no time at all if Bruce fell in battle or other causes, they have had him train them since they were both roughly boys. I think they know Batman well enough to be him if need be.

Back on topic...

Let's see who has the highest vote. Which person do YOU WANT to take over?

1. Dick
2. Tim
3. Jason
4. Damien
5. No one, he won't die!

Dick if he dies soon.....Tim if he dies in a few in story years.

Well the multiple question marks for one, but I was kidding in the first place. :o

I was just messin around myself:oldrazz:

Well considering i have been here a hell of alot longer than you have and read alot of Not Jakes postes I would say he knows a fair amount.

Not to mention the fact that you know literally zero about Bat-lore its safe to assume he does know what he is talking about as well. Maybe its you who should stop talking out of his arse.

If you did know anything you know Dick and Tim would pick the mantle up in no time at all if Bruce fell in battle or other causes, they have had him train them since they were both roughly boys. I think they know Batman well enough to be him if need be.

When did I ever say that they wouldn't? I said they didn't want to be Batman. If he went down, of couse they would pickup were he left off. On the other hand if Bruce was to just give up one day and say "Here, it's yours" they might not. They have both said many times that they don't want to turn out like him.

And just so you know, I've been reading Batman books since 1987.

Hey, I tryed to get back on topic, but some people just won't stop making things personal. What are you to do?

You didn't try to get anything back on topic and it's right up there for everyone to read. I asked at least 2 questions regarding how a death would affect the TDK box office, while you ignored them and kept the comments coming.

Now we have seen some pretty good ideas posted in the different threads about the death of Batman with both Dick and Tim picking up the mantle or Tim and Damiean butting heads over it.Even one idea about the Joker picking up the mantle (which sounds pretty frigging cool if you think about it). How do you think others like Gordon and Alfred and the villains would be affected?

The last few years of Batman comics actually seem to take great pains to disagree with you. It's not personal, it's not about vengeance. That was the impetus, but the war is greater than the self.

That's certainly true to some extent. Yes, Batman realizes that his war against crime is greater than his own needs, but deep down, his personal motivation should still be there to a degree. After all, you could say that his desire to eradicate crime is an attempt to make sure what happened to his parents and to him doesn't happen to anyone else.

Tim Drake is approaching Constantinian levels of lethality to those around him. He's got darkness.
I didn't say that Tim didn't have a dark streak to him (although I thought to whole idea behind Robin was that he was to counterbalance the darkness of Batman) hence why I believe that if DC does decide to go ahead with this, they've set up Tim to be "Batman Jr." However, in comparison to Batman, it's not at the same level. No offense to Tim Drake fans, but Batman's darkness is almost at the levels of a Greek Tragedy or Shakespearian Drama, while Tim's "darkness" is can be described as "Emo" and is akin to a Linkin Park song.

This is the crux of the matter, and the spot where I think we should all be able to agree. While, realistically, it's plausible to have Bruce die and have another character take up the mantle, narratively, it would be incredibly weak, and would be a blow to the character that the franchise would never recover from. Knightquest and Prodigal served only to drive home the point that Batman is not a costume, Batman is an entity, and it goes by only one civilian name: Bruce Wayne. If they try to do it permanent...they WILL **** it up.
Precisely my point. Even in Batman Beyond, it was clear that while Terry McGuiness was wearing the Batman outfit, Bruce Wayne was still "Batman" despite his age and heart problems; in fact, you could say that the series was really a twist on the "Batman and Robin" partnership. Regardless, Terry STILL got tagged with being a "fake" and that is precisely what any new Batman will be tagged as--and justly so in my opinion. It might be interesting for awhile, but eventually readers don't want to read about a "pretender to the throne" but the real, genuine article. Especially an iconoclastic character like Batman.

Precisely my point. Even in Batman Begins, it was clear that while Terry McGuiness was wearing the Batman outfit, Bruce Wayne was still "Batman" despite his age and heart problems; in fact, you could say that the series was really a twist on the "Batman and Robin" partnership. Regardless, Terry STILL got tagged with being a "fake" and that is precisely what any new Batman will be tagged as--and justly so in my opinion. It might be interesting for awhile, but eventually readers don't want to read about a "pretender to the throne" but the real, genuine article. Especially an iconoclastic character like Batman.

This was the point that I was trying to "drive home" yesterday, but I didn't put it in as good of terms as you did. Most everyone knew that Terry was not the original Batman by his actions and mannerisms. Thus, as you said, he was called a "fake". It will take more than just a little acting to really "be" Batman, it's a persona that only Bruce Wayne can portray. Now that doesn't mean that someone else could not be taught to portray that persona.

Also, as you said, Terry was just wearing the Batman outfit, Bruce Wayne was still "Batman" and without him Terry would have been dead in a week. The same could be said about Tim or Damien, they just don't have the experience needed.... IMO. Dick and Jason I think are different. Dick has more than enough experience, but needs to learn the persona of Batman. Jason doesn't have quite the experience, but as he proved before "One Year Later" he is very good. Now he just needs to change his ideas on killing and learn the persona.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"