The now NEW Official DC Stupid Questions thread: Didio Headaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after Hal Jordan went all Parallax-y, Kyle Rayner became the only GL. When did John Stewart get his ring back after that?

When Kyle left Earth he gave John the ring that a young Hal Jordan had left when he was sent forward in time.

hal jordan from the past gave kyle and extra ring and he gave it to john

Did that happen at the end of that arc or in the middle?

At one point in Kyle's adventures, he went back in time and met Hal pre-Parallax. Due to plot stuff, Hal ended up in the present back with Kyle. Cue more plot. Hal eventually goes back, but leaves Kyle a copy of his ring. See, Hal's ring can duplicate itself, while Kyle's couldn't. So Kyle could eventually use this duplicate ring to duplicate more rings to reform the Corps.

A long time passes. Kyle tries to reboot the Corps several times, without a great deal of success. Eventually he brings back the Guardians, and this extra ring is mostly forgotten...until he gives it to John, when he leaves Earth for his space sabbatical.

^Right, I remember that. At the end of the Hangin'-with-Young-Hal story, they face off with Parallax, and Hal leaves Kyle with a copy of his ring before going off to finish the fight with Sinestro he was in the middle of. Kyle observes the ring in his hand, which leads into the next storyarc.

Jade had the ring for a long while when her powers went poof.

Doe's John Stewart keep a secret idenity,for him i would seem awfully hard

I don't believe so, as he worked for President Luthor in an official capacity

Didn't John say from the beginning that he wouldn't keep his identity a secret because he has nothing to hide?

Can someone please explain me this current legal stuff regarding Superman? Did DC lose the rights for Superma's origin regarding the planet krypton and daily planet? :confused:

Can someone please explain me this current legal stuff regarding Superman? Did DC lose the rights for Superma's origin regarding the planet krypton and daily planet? :confused:

Back in the 1990s, Congress gave multimedia corporations a big gift by extending copyrights on properties on a bunch of properties. They also decided since originally the corporations bought non-"work for hire" properties from authors on the assumption that they'd only be buying the rights fro 54 years that the original creators and their families would be entitled to some of this windfall as well. The mechanism Congress came up with for coming to an agreement was that the creators and family could file to reclaim the copyright after the original period has expired.

Siegel and Shuster created Superman before employment by National (later DC). Basically they put together the Superman section of Action Comics #1 and put some scripts together for some future stories and shopped it around. National eventually bought the rights. And owns everything beyond what Siegel and Shuster brought to them initially lock, stock, and barrel as work for hire.

In 1948 there was a lawsuit involving Superboy by Siegel that was eventually settled. In the 1970s, faced with a wave of bad publicity before the opening of the Donner movie, Siegel and Shuster were granted a pension of around $35K a year. Now, with Superman beyond the original copyright period, the family has asserted their rights to reclaim the copyright for stuff in Action #1, Clark Kent, Lois Lane, costumed hero with limited powers, Daily Star, and related which turns out to include some of the origin.

Right now, DC and the Siegels are basically involved in a profit sharing arrangement since DC has half the rights and all the trademarks. That could change in 2013 when the Shuster heirs enter the fray.

I think most analysts think that a settlement will eventually be reached. Superman is at his most marketable with all of his trappings, not the limited 1938 version. The first step of the process is to figure out what the Siegels actually have the rights to. That's basically going on now, and a Judge is making a ruling on that since both sides disagree. Once that process is finished, they can start negotiating a settlement when Time Warner knows what it's actually buying and the Siegels know what they're actually selling.

I expect that there will be some hardball played in the meantime by both sides. There's no question though that an equitable settlement is the best outcome for both sides, so entitled fanboys shouldn't get their panties in a knot. There are no "good guys" or "bad guys" here, only interested parties with legal rights.

I have a really stupid question:how does superman's cape stay on????,I have seen someone with super strength yank on it and it did not come off????

There is a pet theory that Superman's body forms a super-strength aura/field around itself. That's why his costume stays so intact all the time.

The cape, like the rest of Superman's costume, is made from Kryptonian materials that -- and yes I realize how dumb this is when said out loud -- becomes as invulnerable as he is under the yellow sun. Ma Kent originally made the costume by unraveling the blanket that arrived with Kal-El, not tearing or cutting it.

I believe this was still canon as of the Byrne reboot, and will probably remain true under Johns' new origin considering, y'know, SILVER AGE YAYA.

The cape, like the rest of Superman's costume, is made from Kryptonian materials that -- and yes I realize how dumb this is when said out loud -- becomes as invulnerable as he is under the yellow sun. Ma Kent originally made the costume by unraveling the blanket that arrived with Kal-El, not tearing or cutting it.

I believe this was still canon as of the Byrne reboot, and will probably remain true under Johns' new origin considering, y'know, SILVER AGE YAYA.

Not that dumb really. I mean, not really any worse than unstable molecules.

I mean, there's a case to be made about biology reacting different ways under different environments or whatever. But...textiles? Hand-made objects?

Though I suppose the blanket could have been made from dead Kryptonian cow or something. :oldrazz: Their equivalent of leather.

another one:how do domino masks stay on?they dont look attached......

I mean, there's a case to be made about biology reacting different ways under different environments or whatever. But...textiles? Hand-made objects?

Though I suppose the blanket could have been made from dead Kryptonian cow or something. :oldrazz: Their equivalent of leather.

Damnit, I'm a doctor, not a biologist!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back