The now NEW Official DC Stupid Questions thread: Didio Headaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I was under the impression that it was a symbol that just happened to resemble an S.

What is the actual significance of the S on Superman's shield? Obviously it doesnt just stand for Super- since it is often portrayed as being in his ship with him and also on Jor-Els clothes. Is it like the Coat of Arms for the House of El? In that case, why an S??
Depends on where you're looking. Some writers had Clark design it himself to stand for Superman, while others made it out to be the El family crest.

The 'S' was a family insignia for the Els... in certain incarnations they actually explained it to mean 'Hope' (Birthright, maybe even Smallville, can't remember when). But in other traditions it's usually made by the Kents. Depends on which one you prefer to believe in. I'd go with Lois Lane and conclude that it stands for one thing and one thing only: SUPERMAN.

(Not Super
Girl
Boy
Pup
Eradicator
Steel
Cyborg
Clone
Inverted Bizarro
Inverted '2'
or Super Monkey)

I combine them. Clark had a rougher symbol that looked somewhat like the S on his ship because it's the family crest for the house of El, and then Ma Kent, upon realizing that Clark would need a way to disguise himself for his superheroing, adapted that Kryptonian symbol into an S and put it on his costume. I don't know if that was ever put forth in any of Clark's billion origin stories, but that's how I always think of it.

I like the symbol to be the El family crest and Clark not even realizing that it looked like an "S," while Lois instantly recognized it and named him "Superman" as a result.

Oh and make the suit's colors based off the Kryptonian flag.

Does the Human Target comic/character take place in the DCU or in its own continuity/world?

I like the symbol to be the El family crest and Clark not even realizing that it looked like an "S," while Lois instantly recognized it and named him "Superman" as a result.

Thats what I thought it was and like this explanation best

Originally the ring just needed charging every 24 hours. Then it seems in Johns' GL run that the ring has a fixed charge and just needed to be recharged when the charge was low. But then in Secret origin it again says the ring needs to be charged every 24 hours. I thought this was kinda inconsistent, so is it just a combination of the two? i.e. charging when low as well as every 24 hours?

Seems like it. I didn't know about the 24-hour thing being back, but it makes sense that, with or without the mandatory 24-hour recharge, they'd still only hold a finite amount of energy and need to be recharged when they get low. Otherwise, they wouldn't logically need recharging at all.

Or you could just say that the 24 hour thing was the way it was before the battery got remade, and now it's the other way.

Yeah, I think it was when Kyle got the ring that they switched from the 24-hour charge to the finite charge.

Kyle's ring didn't need to be charged initially, as far as I recall. Turned out later that was because it was actually absorbing the ambient GL energy that was scattered throughout the universe after the destruction of the Central Power Battery, though. That led to Ion, and then when Kyle gave the power back in the form of a new CPB and new Guardians, that was when he started needing to charge his ring. I believe that was indeed a finite charge situation rather than a 24-hour one, though.

But didn't Kyle still have his own battery? Which he got during his first fight with Major Force?

Yeah and after that he made his ring special, that it would always keep a latent charge and be unable to fully drained.

That's probably gone now. All the GL rings seem to have been reset to be identical.

It technically shouldnt be reset because Kyle HIMSELF made the ring not a Guardian so it should technically be out of thier realm of control.

Last edited:
I don't think he even has his ring anymore, the design and look of it is of a standard Corps ring.

Depends on the artist, really. There are different styles of rings on the War of the Green Lanterns promo pic.

Is it necessary to read Astro City in order? I've got the entire original series but I'm still waiting on volume 3. Is it fine to skip it and return to it later or am I going to be missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"