Batman Returns The Official Batman Returns Thread - Part 4

Another excellent video on the merits of Batman Returns:

Good analysis. Pfeiffer did sure play Catwoman as both a strong villain and a righteous one and also with romantic longing and vulnerability, Catwoman, Batman and Penguin all felt very real and even grounding within the film's style. And the music, like the overall film, was a strong mix of sinister & horror elements and heroic triumphant and did reflect that the characters and story were both tragic and exciting.

It's a bit much to think of Batman as a villain, especially as he is willing to forgive Selina (it wasn't really his fault that their relationship didn't work) and just arrest Max, although his actions against the Penguin in the climax *are* pretty cruel (although I think the Penguin was shown to be a lot more physically formidable than the commentator acknowledges, it wasn't and wouldn't be easy for Batman to just subdue and arrest him which you could say Batman did want to do).

In the DVD commentary Burton actually, I'm not sure how serious he was but he seemed serious, claimed Batman didn't necessarily kill the strongman, that it was ambiguous, the strongman *could* have gotten away and the sound effect was intentionally cartoony anyway.

It's an exciting idea that we may be getting a sequel with Keaton in some way soon.
If we do then I hope it leads to a Batman Beyond film.
Just any continuation of Keaton as Batman is extremely exciting. Hopefully its to a place that doesnt ruin the two Burton films when viewing them and knowing where his Batman actually finishes past Batman Returns.

One thing I think is pretty unique and cool about Batman Returns is, from interviews of Pfeiffer and Devito they seemed to genuinely be pretty fond of Catwoman and the Penguin as in the comics and/or television series and yet they still made their versions very different, I think it's cool that they could do both.

tumblr_pw1f6q6mTp1vtnv5po1_500.gifv

I was rewatching a little of this last night and really enjoying the Batman-Penguin chemistry that exists between Keaton and DeVito. I also think this film best captures the typical comic book imagery of outrageously dressed, larger than life characters prowling around on rooftops and looking down on the oblivious townsfolk below. So many scenes of that nature in this movie.

Last edited:
the comic book adaptions of the burton batman films had great artwork.
back when dc actually cared lol

Still got my original comics adaptations of Batman, Batman Returns, and Batman Forever from when the movies first came out. Dug them out and read them just a couple of weeks ago.
I’ve got those hidden away somewhere (at my parent’s house I think).

Waiting for a price drop but I imagine this movie would look great on 4K.

I was just musing on Batman Returns, and had the random thought that the Penguin's gatecrashing scene would have been the perfect opportunity to have him wear the full comic-book regalia, e.g., the top hat, the suit, the monocle, the cigarette holder, etc.

In the finished product, he never wore all of it at once. Even the monocle was only ever seen in promotional materials. Wearing all of it to Shreck's party, while serving as a great and faithful nod to the comics, would have also been a subtly hilarious jab at the formality and faux-politeness of the Gotham elite.

It also could have served as yet another inversion of the concept of the costume ball. Bruce and Selina both went to the party with their public faces serving as their 'masks', and the beastly Cobblepot would have gone with his 'mayoral humanitarian' guise as his own mask. Kind of a missed opportunity, but still a great scene on all counts.

Last edited:
Actually, we saw the monocle once, when Penguin is researching his origins in the archives office.

10030745_2.jpg

But yeah, I never realised before that he was never wearing all his classic trademarks at once in the movie.

Good call. I had forgotten that part. It would have indeed been a treat to see the character more closely resemble his appearance in the comic. Though I still liked his dishevelled and grubby look in the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"