Batman Returns The Official Batman Returns Thread - Part 4

Yes! I love this! :D

2d0c2843c707e7ce28a8f534e5d6ea50e675cfc1.gifv

Wow I...honestly never even thought there was anything in there. Anything except a prop hand or whatever. That's really quite surprising. Looks like one of the puppets from Puppet Master.

So would people here consider Batman Returns to be a Christmas movie? I'd say it has as much claim as Die Hard, at least.

Maybe I'm alone in this,but I prefer the score to this film over the original. Don't get me wrong,Elfman's score for the first one is iconic. But Batman Returns music feels more gothic and haunting. Plus,I do view this as a Christmas movie.

Maybe I'm alone in this,but I prefer the score to this film over the original. Don't get me wrong,Elfman's score for the first one is iconic. But Batman Returns music feels more gothic and haunting. Plus,I do view this as a Christmas movie.
You're not alone. In fact, I prefer almost everything about this movie over the first one. And yes, it's definitely a Christmas movie.

You're not alone. In fact, I prefer almost everything about this movie over the first one. And yes, it's definitely a Christmas movie.

It was on TV this afternoon so I just had it on in the background at home .....and got sucked in.

Man, after watching Batman Forever , because its new on Netflix, I felt sad because Forever is a pretty damn mediocre film.

However, Returns was terrific. Dont get me wrong, some of the Penguin stuff is way OTT ( child murders ?), and it didn't really need Chris Walken as a third villain - but the dynamic between Keaton and Pfeiffer is so great that it carries the film. If only Burton had made a trilogy and been able to bring Pfeiffer back, sigh.

For 1991 it's a good movie and a decent sequel to Batman 89, which is still awesome over 30 years later.

Watched this on christmas eve as I always do. Still holds up greatly for me! I prefer Batman'89 overall but it's still a great elseworlds bat movie

An interesting idea I heard for a change to the story would have been that Bruce would have initially trusted and sympathized with Oswald, then felt betrayed as he learned about his villainy.

That's one little quibble I've always had. I don't mind Batman almost immediately suspecting the Penguin of having an ulterior motive and secretly knowing who his parents are, but I like that small scene of Bruce seeming to empathise with the Penguin's sob story on TV.

I wish just a minute or two more had been spent on Bruce actually seeming to buy into the story before suddenly becoming a bit suspicious. Keaton makes the most of it though. And I can't be too hard on it, as it does lead to that badass scene of the Batmobile slowly cruising outside the hall of records.

'I think he knows who his parents are... And there's something else.'

And I can't be too hard on it, as it does lead to that badass scene of the Batmobile slowly cruising outside the hall of records
That, "Things change", and Catwoman's final confrontation with Shreck as he shoots her are my three favourite scenes in that movie! :up:

Last edited:
I think my three favourite scenes are Shreck's costume party dance, the 'things change' confrontation, and Bruce Wayne standing to attention at the sight of the Bat signal.

Batman being immediately suspicious of Penguin is the most Batman thing in this movie. I wouldn't change a thing about that.

I'm glad Annette Bening didn't play Catwoman, I usually find her annoying in her roles and I suspect she would have not had much chemistry with Walken and would have somewhat looked down on the material, at least not had Pfeiffer's affection and commitment for Catwoman.

That's one little quibble I've always had. I don't mind Batman almost immediately suspecting the Penguin of having an ulterior motive and secretly knowing who his parents are, but I like that small scene of Bruce seeming to empathise with the Penguin's sob story on TV.

I wish just a minute or two more had been spent on Bruce actually seeming to buy into the story before suddenly becoming a bit suspicious. Keaton makes the most of it though. And I can't be too hard on it, as it does lead to that badass scene of the Batmobile slowly cruising outside the hall of records.

'I think he knows who his parents are... And there's something else.'

If you watch, the exact moment with Bruce gets suspicious of Oswald is when he's posing with Schrek on the TV news. Then after research and finding mention of Cobblepot with the circus gang in the newspaper microfiche, that's when his worries are confirmed. Hence why when Alfred assumes he feels better, Bruce responds with "actually I feel worse."

It happens quick, but I buy it. We at least can follow the progression from sympathy to suspicion.

I think the three heads poster was pretty inspired by the poster for Goodfellas and that was a striking way of telling viewers the film would be pretty dark.

Has it been confirmed why Burton didn't bring back Harvey Dent in BR (did he come to regret Williams' casting or performance) or just the general idea that there were too many characters and/or he wanted the sequel to be pretty different?

I love that BR included a jibe at the first film Alfred having let Vicki in to the Batcave, irreverence even toward the predecessor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"