Gotham The Official Cameron Monaghan As Jerome Valeska/(Possibly) The Joker

Then just ****in keep him as Jeremiah ! Anyone with more than half a brain knows the 3 Jokers idea is trash

It's a trash idea for the comics and it'll be trash for the show. Jeremiah was the perfect reveal to Jerome's fake-out. Everyone thought Jerome was the psychopath who'd be The Joker one day. Nah, Jeremiah is the real psychopath, and from being born a psychopath he twisted his brother into being an unstable sociopath. They had set up sort of this rivalry with Jerome and Bruce, but it's Jeremiah who ends up having the actual obsession over the guy and connection with him. Having a 3rd party enter the equation shatters all that . It says all of that meant goddamn nothing at all.

Last edited:
John Stephens must be completely oblivious to social media if he thinks continuing to make these comments is a good idea.

There's a line where you just have to stop blaming WB and their restrictions and rather the guy's lack of awareness.

I present to you Gotham's joker

I think you need to spoiler tag this. This is Jeremiah in the finale, and not everyone want to see it before the episode.

But all in all I really like the look. Can’t wait for Cameron’s performance.

Saw a better version of the pics and noticed he has red eyes.

Spoiler tags probably would've been nice, but personally, I was already spoiled over it thanks to Facebook so it's whatever.

I LOVE this look . It's fresh and ****ing horrifying. " Finally, the flesh reflects the madness within"

The ideas behind it are good. But something went wrong with the application of the chin prosthetic.

It does stick out just a tad bit but at least they're trying to emulate the facial structure he has in the comics.

It does stick out just a tad bit but at least they're trying to emulate the facial structure he has in the comics.
Which could look strange considering everything else is realistically proportioned. Besides, Cameron already has that facial structure (kind of); the makeup makes it more apparent when you see him as Jeremiah.

I just realized how similar season 5 Jeremiah and The Joker in the later years of the DCAU are in terms of design. The mostly-black hair with a few streaks of green, lips are a darker shade of red, dark circles around the eyes, etc.Screenshot_20190219-093758.png Screenshot_20190219-094701.png

Last edited:
After thinking about this a bit, I would *probably* like his look a little more if he actually had hair. I'm sorry, but a bald Joker is just a little too out there for me. Maybe a receding hairline would be okay, I guess. It's just, eh, I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Well, at least you and other Batman fans have legit reasons for disliking it. I've come across people disliking it because he "does not look pretty anymore." :funny:

Well, at least you and other Batman fans have legit reasons for disliking it. I've come across people disliking it because he "does not look pretty anymore." :funny:
Even so, I've really been digging the whole "sharp-dressed and glamorous" look that seems to have been made more prominent in other versions of The Joker ever since Suicide Squad, in the same way that The Dark Knight's Joker led to the trend of making him look all grimy and dirty (not that that was already a thing before TDK's Joker, but it became popular afterwards).

A few wrinkles here and there would've been okay IMO, maybe they could've brightened his hair up just a little bit or darkened the circles around his eyes a little more. I'm sure this other look will grow on me to an extent, at least.

I was specifically talking about the people who sexualize the Joker, btw.

I was specifically talking about the people who sexualize the Joker, btw.
I can't stand those stupid little Joker tributes and music videos plastered all over YouTube with weird filters and cringey pop songs in the background.

after seeing the hd photos i really like the design they went with
its different and it stands out

If people want to sexualize Jeremiah then they can sexualize him however he looks. Pennywise, Venom, Azog (who literally look like monsters, not just a bald clown) all have fans that are into them. People who stop liking Jeremiah just because of his new look are cowards :o

I can't stand those stupid little Joker tributes and music videos plastered all over YouTube with weird filters and cringey pop songs in the background.

Have you tried selecting those channels and click “I’m not interested” or “Stop recommending this channel”? Youtube algorithm is weird, but if you tell it that you don't like its recommendations that will do the trick (my recommendations used to be littered with "Why TLJ is a colossal failure" for no reason, but then a few "I'm not interested" later those disappeared). Another tip in case you see those videos in your search results is that they almost always have the songs' name in video titles.

Gotham's Next Joker Evolution Is "Actually A Nightmare"

When Jerome (Cameron Monaghan) was first introduced on Gotham as an unhinged young man, it was easy to see him as the show's prototype of The Joker. As the character further slid into gleeful insanity, it became even more clear. Upon his death and succession by twin brother Jeremiah, though, a new side of the Joker personality was born; the maniacally calm and deliberate madman, who also happens to be quite theatrical.

Now, with its final episodes, the Joker placeholder will evolve again, embracing a third aspect of the Clown Prince of Crime's psyche. "We all know the character that some people think he is, some people say he's not--that he's supposed to be a precursor to at the very least," executive producer John Stephens told GameSpot. "So, when you look at the Joker, and you break down elements of his personality, and you cleave off certain character traits. Some of those character traits we gave to Jerome. Some of those character traits we gave to Jeremiah. But, there were still some leftover character traits that we said, we haven't used these elements yet. Specifically to me, horror or terror. I feel like there are elements of the Joker, some iterations of him, which he's not just a clown prince of crime, but he's actually a nightmare. And I feel like... some of those remain to be explored."

How Will It End? Gotham’s Cameron Monaghan on J's Unexpected Final Scenes

How will Jeremiah say goodbye to Gotham City?

Cameron Monaghan’s character made a long-awaited transformation into what seemed like the famous villain during the February 21 episode. Whatever name you give him, he’s changed. However, we’ve seen numerous versions of The Jokers before and this is different — as is Jeremiah’s GothamOpens a New Window. ending.

“I think that people are really going to react well to it; it’s something that I’m very proud of,” Monaghan, 25, says in the latest issue of Us Weekly, adding that the story has remained a secret to fans, which is important. “It’s funny, the thing with a prequel is that you kind of know where it’s all going in general, but sometimes you get these little, happy surprises and really amazing reveals that you don’t get to know [ahead of time] and this is one of them. This is one of those where I think it works.”

He adds: “I’m very psyched for people to see it. It was some of the most fun that I’ve had on the show. I also had a few moments of doing it when I was like, ‘Wow, I’m accomplishing a life goal while doing this. This is completely surreal.

Part of the reason the series has worked is because of the freedom the network and studio gave the actor, he reveals, noting that in the beginning there was “pushback.”

“It wasn’t until people became familiar with our version of the character and realized that this story, the universe was separate, that they instead actually started coming around the other way — they were asking for more,” she shares. “They wanted to see this character become realized. It was an interesting challenge obviously and a little bit nerve racking but thankfully the response has been overwhelmingly great. … This year is the most lenient they’ve been allowing us to dive in, and I think we’re really better off for it; I’m really happy with where the story goes. It feels like a very logical conclusion to it.”

And Monaghan’s to thank for a lot of that. The actor admits he sends back a ton of notes on each and every script.

“By season 3, I was pretty far off book and I was allowed a lot of room and leniency on the set to improv and to find stuff in the moment. And then as it got further into, especially this last season, [executive producer] John Stephens has been very kind and encompassing to me because I would send pages of emails of concerns,” he reveals. “It would be a scene that was four or five lines long, and I’d send pages of, like, ‘This is why I’m concerned about this.’ He was patient enough that we would work together and he would listen. I think that that’s why a lot of the performances come out really we ll, because the show allows the actors to play.”

While he can’t say much about his last day on set, the ShamelessOpens a New Window. vet said he “felt good” when wrapping.

“The last scene that we shot was the last scene for the character, so I was able to completely experience, the journey and the last moment, I think it’s really wonderful,” he tells Us. “That being said, working with this character is exhausting – physically exhausting sometimes. We had worked a very long day. It was like a 19-hour day and I was sweaty and tired! I went home, ate pizza and slept for, like, three days.”

The role was also emotionally taxing on Monaghan, mostly because he cared so much about it.

“I’d get nervous about it, anxious. I have devoted thousands of hours obsessing about this over the course of five years. And that’s one of those things — sometimes it’s hard to just not be thinking about that,” he says. “I didn’t sleep before I worked on the show, ever, it’s just one of those things I just never slept. So when we finished up the show, it was kind of funny. I was like, ‘What do I do with my brain now?’”

Gotham airs on Fox Thursdays at 8 p.m. ET.

Last edited:
First Hamill, now Dini. Glad Cameron's getting the recognition he deserves.

New interview with Cameron!

Joker's Wild? Cameron Monaghan & 'Gotham' Tease the Arrival of 'J' (VIDEO)

Why so serious? Because the end of Gotham is right around the corner and we are NOT ready!

It seems that the powers that be are ready to reveal more of what we can expect in the series finale, and from the looks of today's just-released art and trailer, it's a face we have come to love. (And no, this isn't an April Fool's joke, either.)

So, this is the Joker, right?!

GOTHAM_VILLAIN_V2.jpg

"I am imposing my own embargo," laughs Cameron Monaghan, whose Jeremiah debuts his ultimate evolution in the April 25 ender, following a fateful swan dive into a pool of fluorescent glue at the Ace Chemicals plant several episodes back. "They don't make us sign non-disclosure agreements but they should have!"

What Monaghan will say is "that we see a natural crystallization of everything that we have created over the course of five years," which has seen the Shameless actor play both Jeremiah Valeska and his late twin brother, Jerome. "With Jeremiah, we have a lot of vanity. But with Jerome, we had monstrosity. So what happens when we combine vanity with monstrosity? What do you when it's horrifying but they still perceive themselves as something else?"

Check out his "so pretty" teaser below.

And even though this 'J' fellow mixes "a lot of what we have done before," Monaghan promises that "there's a lot new," too. In addition to "looking like nothing we have seen before," he also goes on to note that the show — which has previously borrowed heavily from the Clown Prince of Crime's backstory — has a new twist to the canon up its sleeve. "There are multiple shout-outs to different aspects of the origin and then we're doing some unique stuff with it as well.

"I think what is really interesting about this is, no matter how outlandish we have gone with the twin and all of that stuff... we kind of go a little bit more grounded with him at the end, which I like," he previews. "There is something pretty human and horrifying about this guy."

Villains. Sometimes we hate them, sometimes we love them, and sometimes... we hate how much we end up loving them.

As for J's final look and feel, Monaghan admits that "we were allowed a lot more leniency than we were ever allowed before. A lot of that is thanks to the fans wanting it and also to us for fighting the good fight." And of course, he finished with a laugh. "We're in the final season of the show, so we could go 'Screw it...what are you gonna do, cancel us?'"

What a joker, huh?

Gotham, Thursdays, 8/7c, Fox

I just realized how similar season 5 Jeremiah and The Joker in the later years of the DCAU are in terms of design. The mostly-black hair with a few streaks of green, lips are a darker shade of red, dark circles around the eyes, etc.View attachment 21225 View attachment 21227

In going back I have noticed more and more similarities between Cameron's version and Mark's, though this one skipped right past me. Pretty awesome to see, actually. I think Jeremiah's look here is my favorite of everything Cameron got to work with. I still like the design choice they went with for Joker. The lack of hair has grown on me since the finale and the make-up is just so good that especially now I can forgive him having no hair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"