The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0 - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you get a hard stomach. I run 5 miles a day and have for about a month. Do I need to start doing more sit-ups?

Ab work. You've got to work them out.

And sit-ups suck ass. I hate them.

How do you get a hard stomach. I run 5 miles a day and have for about a month. Do I need to start doing more sit-ups?

You can't just run. And sit ups aren't the only ab exercise. There are tons of other ones you can look up on You Tube. You can't get a hard stomach anyway until you've burnt off the fat or else it will be covered by the fat.

And I've told you before to do more swimming instead if running. You will burn calories quicker. I don't mean this window washing "breast stroke" thing that old women do but freestyle or backstroke. If you just lie on your back and do the flutter kick, making sure to use your hips, not only will you be working your lower abs (because it's almost the equivalent of doing the reverse crunch or the scissor kick) but you'll be doing cardio at the same time. Same with if you do the side body balance drill where you're forced to work your abs. You will get a flatter stomach faster swimming than running. But it's your choice if you want to take the long route.

My gym doesn't have a pool. I'm not going to sign up for a gym with a pool anytime soon. That's why I ask if I should keep running, so I can burn off the fat from my stomach.

My gym doesn't have a pool. I'm not going to sign up for a gym with a pool anytime soon. That's why I ask if I should keep running, so I can burn off the fat from my stomach.

If you're really serious about getting a flat stomach then you should invest in finding a pool. You don't have to sign up. You can pay as you go. What about all these other people who want to go for a one-off swim? Are you telling me they always have to sign up for a membership? Nonsense. Find a place and consider it part of your training.

Your body may also respond to other exercises too. My friend told me she's starting to develop a 6-pack from doing yoga. You never know what will work for you. Might as well try a bunch of different things. Everyone's body is different.

Your body may also respond to other exercises too. My friend told me she's starting to develop a 6-pack from doing yoga. You never know what will work for you. Might as well try a bunch of different things. Everyone's body is different.

There are tons of yoga and pilates videos on YouTube which target the abs specifically. I will borrow exercises from anything out there. Even ballet twists. :oldrazz:

And FitnessMagazine.com has lots of nutrition tips and various workout videos for toning and targeting the abs area.

I have a punching bag as well that I don't hit as often as I should. I'll start doing at least 20 minute boxing sessions again.

Last Son, I wish you would have posted a picture of you before you started working out. You seem to be on a roll with exercise. I salute you.

:up:

Not really. It seems that my constant eating of lemon heads prevents my stomach form getting where it needs to be which is why I have to cut out all sweets and junk. It also, seems no matter how much I run it won't run off the fat on my stomach. I don't even know if it's working or not. I see small changes, but I just do it because there is nothing else to do and it keeps my mind off of drinking and gets me out the house.

Try HIIT. It might do the trick.

what about insanity, what's your take on this work out? do you think it really works?

That's a good workout to me. I'm not really a pop in the DVD type of guy though. I would recommend it though.

what about insanity, what's your take on this work out? do you think it really works?

Insanity definitely works depending on your goals. If you want to lose fat, go for it. But if you are expecting to add mass, try something else though if you already have some decent muscle under the fat, you will look more diesel afterward.

It simply depends on the goal.

i officially gave my end of the month notice for my night job(s) last night. i've worked every day since Mid October, save for 4 when i was working out of town, and the night of my Grandfather's funeral. It has taken a toll on me.

i really enjoy the activeness of it, but 7 nights a week, working many 10-14 hour days has really taken a toll on me. my sleeping and eating habits are all out of whack, not to mention i wake up most days sore as heck.

that being said, i've already set it up with a friend of mine to start going back to the gym when my nights are mine again, so i'm really looking forward to that

I have a punching bag as well that I don't hit as often as I should. I'll start doing at least 20 minute boxing sessions again.

If you need some ideas to start doing this, let me know.
Often people try to use heavy bags and arent sure how to make it work as a true exercise session (not sure if this applies to you or not, you may be ex-Golden Gloves for all I know).
These people will punch for a few minutes and then call it a day. It really takes either a coach calling out the combos and making sure the intensity is high or a program to do the same.
I mentioned earlier that I have purchased a few programs that call out combinations and allow you to do "rounds" much like you would for an actual boxing or mma match. Again, PM me if you want some details. I have one that I think I could email you.

Not really. It seems that my constant eating of lemon heads prevents my stomach form getting where it needs to be which is why I have to cut out all sweets and junk. It also, seems no matter how much I run it won't run off the fat on my stomach. I don't even know if it's working or not. I see small changes, but I just do it because there is nothing else to do and it keeps my mind off of drinking and gets me out the house.

The sweets are probably a hindrance to that goal. Just keep in mind, stomach fat (even if its just that last little bit) is the most stubborn and really requires intensity for the exercise and your diet being dialed in properly. Running alone (particularly basic "distance" running/steady state cardio) isnt typically ther best method for fat loss.

Try HIIT. It might do the trick.

If you arent doing this, I HIGHLY recommend it. You can do this for your running or other exercise and you will be able to work harder, for a shorter rest period, and still burn more fat than a longer, less intense run would do.
I can cite a few studies that show this, if you would like to see them.

Insanity is ok, but do not attempt it if you have bad knees or ankles/previous injuries. I posted a study a few pages back (actually in the last thread now) that talked about how Insanity has very poor programming and could easily lead to injuries or overtraining. If you want to see it, please let me know.
The thing is, your body isnt made to do plyometric exercises for 30 minutes straight, day after day. I personally put some of the blame for my torn ACL in 2011 on the Insanity program.

i officially gave my end of the month notice for my night job(s) last night. i've worked every day since Mid October, save for 4 when i was working out of town, and the night of my Grandfather's funeral. It has taken a toll on me.

i really enjoy the activeness of it, but 7 nights a week, working many 10-14 hour days has really taken a toll on me. my sleeping and eating habits are all out of whack, not to mention i wake up most days sore as heck.

that being said, i've already set it up with a friend of mine to start going back to the gym when my nights are mine again, so i'm really looking forward to that

Sounds like you made a good decision for you and your health and sanity!

Last edited:
^^Thanks it's not a heavy bag it's just a strike bag from ***** sporting good. I use to practice with a coach so I know a little bit about combinations and how to strike it. It's some real hard work. I'm going to try and get back to striking it today though.

^^Thanks it's not a heavy bag it's just a strike bag from ***** sporting good. I use to practice with a coach so I know a little bit about combinations and how to strike it. It's some real hard work. I'm going to try and get back to striking it today though.

Like a double-end bag?
Like this (see attachment).

Those are good for skill building more than anything else, in my opinion. Obviously you can burn lots of calories too, depending on how you use it.
If you want to make it an interesting full-body cardio session, mix in some exercises and do as many as you can for time.

Example:
30 seconds of jabs
30 seconds of lunge jumps
30 seconds of crosses
30 seconds of pushups
rest 1 minute and repeat 5 times (just as an example)

Obviously the combinations that you can do are endless with this sort of thing. Get creative with the exercises, but try to keep a frantic pace throughout.

Attachments

• de bag.bmp
    147.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

If you're just running at a constant pace, then it probably won't be burning that much fat off your stomach area. As others have mentioned, you need HIIT. You want to be burning calories even after you've stopped working out, while you're just sitting down at home. HIIT will help with that.

And look at some YouTube videos on cardio workouts which also target your abs. There are tons of them around. You can do these workouts at the gym or at home just with an exercise mat.

Here's one here:

[YT]RRDtQ7Zmp6c[/YT]

I wouldn't bother striking the bag so hard. It's not like you're trying to toughen your fists or practise your punching. You can even do shadow boxing. The idea is the movement and getting your heart rate up.

Last edited:
Just wanted to leave this YouTube resource for anyone who is interested:

http://www.youtube.com/user/buffdudes?feature=watch

It's a collection of workout/ weights videos by a couple of guys called the "Buff Dudes". Although some of it is in a slightly tongue in cheek style, there are a lot of good instructional videos that explain various weight exercises well on all the different muscle groups.

Just wanted to leave this YouTube resource for anyone who is interested:

http://www.youtube.com/user/buffdudes?feature=watch

It's a collection of workout/ weights videos by a couple of guys called the "Buff Dudes". Although some of it is in a slightly tongue in cheek style, there are a lot of good instructional videos that explain various weight exercises well on all the different muscle groups.

Nice find! I have watched 3 videos so far and they are entertaining and informative.
Going to have to try the protein coffe cup cake recipe

can anyone recommend a good site for picking up some smoothie ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"