The Dark Knight Rises The Official "What Do YOU Want in the Sequel?" Thread

Overall, I love Nolan's Batfilms thus far, but there are a couple of issues that are picking at me:

1. Batman is not supposed to be in a contest with Superman for who can cause the most collateral damage. It was fine in Begins, when he was raw, emotional, and Alfred addressed it, but he goes on to blow up cars and crash into crap with no readily apparent necessity, and I'm thinking "Dude...wasn't this dealt with in the last movie?" I'm not sure why they went with all that in TDK, but hopefully that trend will not continue with 3.

2. Please, please, please...for crying out loud...NO CONTROVERSIAL DEATH IN PART 3! In Begins we had Ra's, in TDK we had Harvey. Why does it seem that Batman, for all the talk of his limits, ends up skirting the issue in the end of the film? Yes, there were true threats, but having the line is meaningless if you consistently find ways to blur it or cross it. The Joker/Batpod wipeout scene makes this all the more clear--Joker was an out-and-out psycho who does this crap for fun, and with no repentance, and yet Ra's and Harvey have to be taken down? It wouldn't be as big of an issue for me if they'd simply address it, but there is no remorse or guilt at the death of Ra's, and he seems grim but unsaddened at the fact that, intentional or not, he just killed Harvey/Two-Face. I truly hope this is addressed at least to some degree in the third film.

The biggest non-ethical/intellectual issue for me is this: I want us to finally see the payoff for the "improvements to the southeast wing" line from Begins.

Comments on these? Or any other issues/concerns?

Here are some suggestions I have to help the last film of the series. First, bring back the Gotham from Begins. It didn't look EXACTLY like Chicago, plus lets see the narrows again. Make Batman theatrical and a wraith again. In the Dark Knight, that aspect was really missing. Plus, please put Batman more in the shadows where he belongs. No more open lit settings. Oh, and please cut back on Batman talking so much. He should only talk as much as necessary; no more speeches, infact, that goes for ALL of the characters. This isn't theater, people don't do monologues all the time.
Now about the fight scenes. The quick cutting of Begins served a purpose, it made Batman seam blindingly fast, As Nolan said in on the Begins DVD. Bring that back, tweak it a bit, make it more palatable, maybe by widening the camera shots. Also, cut back on the science fiction of Batman's gadgets. Cell phones enabling you to have x ray vision, yeah, not realistic.

And now that Bruce has lost Rachael and is on the run, Bruce, not just Batman, should be darker, let him broad like his comic book counterpart. And please, for the love of God, make the cape look like anything other then a towel. Now lone last thing. Please incorporate Batman the detective/scientist. This will be our last chance to see this aspect in this series, so go for it. Just some thoughts from a rapid Batman fanboy.
user_online.gif

Batman + Lightning/Rain + Wayne's Grave + Wally + Zimmer = ORGASM

I want a RED THEME.
And I want Batman to do the "Power Nap" in the batcave.

I want

Batman vs GCPD on a huge scale

Arkham

New Batcave

New Batmobile

Batman vs Bane - this is an amazing canvas on which to prove his ''can't shoot action'' detractors wrong

Batman/Catwoman chase

At least a mention of Joker and Harvey

Bruce fully embracing Batman as not only Gothams only hope, but his

I still want a Leslie Thompkins cameo.

- Flying bats (like in BB)

- More use of those mini-Batarangs

- Bat-Jet

- More "kung-fu" fighting between Bale and the stuntmen

1. Batman is not supposed to be in a contest with Superman for who can cause the most collateral damage. It was fine in Begins, when he was raw, emotional, and Alfred addressed it, but he goes on to blow up cars and crash into crap with no readily apparent necessity, and I'm thinking "Dude...wasn't this dealt with in the last movie?" I'm not sure why they went with all that in TDK, but hopefully that trend will not continue with 3.

I kind of see what you're saying, but Batman repeatedly does that all the time in the comics. Infact, superheroes in general do it all the time. It's just as much apart of the lore as funny looking spandex. The reason being that in a time of inevitable crisis, the ends sometimes justify the means and not everything can be controlled. Batman was rushing through traffic and sidewinding cars because he had to hurry up and save Harvey Dent from The Joker, and if he had taken caution with every vehicle around him, he might not have made it in time. Infact, he almost failed once and The Batmobile took a serious beating for it because The Joker launched a bazooka at Harvey's truck.

That's not the kind of villain you want to take your time with at the sake of avoiding a few injuries or property damage. Sometimes, in a moment of peril, you've just got to act regardless of a morality compass.

2. Please, please, please...for crying out loud...NO CONTROVERSIAL DEATH IN PART 3! In Begins we had Ra's, in TDK we had Harvey. Why does it seem that Batman, for all the talk of his limits, ends up skirting the issue in the end of the film? Yes, there were true threats, but having the line is meaningless if you consistently find ways to blur it or cross it. The Joker/Batpod wipeout scene makes this all the more clear--Joker was an out-and-out psycho who does this crap for fun, and with no repentance, and yet Ra's and Harvey have to be taken down? It wouldn't be as big of an issue for me if they'd simply address it, but there is no remorse or guilt at the death of Ra's, and he seems grim but unsaddened at the fact that, intentional or not, he just killed Harvey/Two-Face. I truly hope this is addressed at least to some degree in the third film.

I agree about Ra's, but Harvey had a kid to gunpoint. If Batman could have found a way not to tackle him away from the boy, I'm sure that he would have, but there weren't enough options. Not to mention that he didn't really have the time to show remorse about Harvey's death, given the police were on his tail and he had to figure out how to stop The Joker from making his point about everyone be fallible to madness.

Plus, barring that, it could have been that the writer was going for irony or a fateful consequence. Batman spends a whole movie struggling with the idea that he can't murder The Joker for all of the chaos that he's committed, yet in one moment of true horror, he has to cross the line just to save an innocent life. That's powerful stuff, when you think about it - perhaps even moreso than a character who goes out of his way to ensure that every decision he makes has no direct consequence.

I totally agree with you, I'd love to see this addressed in the movie. It could make for some amazing insight to the character and his all-consuming capacity for grief.

I agree about Ra's, but Harvey had a kid to gunpoint. If Batman could have found a way not to tackle him away from the boy, I'm sure that he would have, but there weren't enough options.
I disagree, he could've used his batarangs to knock the gun out of his hands long before he even had it to Gordon's son. We know he's accurate with those things too, because in BB, he shot out the light in the warehouse with his batarangs.

But of course, if Harvey didn't die, then the theme wouldn't have worked, and the title would have been meaningless. It's just the way it was written into the story, but there are many ways for Batman to have knocked the gun out of Harvey's hands.

Last edited:
I disagree, he could've used his batarangs to knock the gun out of his hands long before he even had it to Gordon's son. We know he's accurate with those things too, because in BB, he shot out the light in the warehouse with his batarangs.

Fair enough, but it would have been a considerable risk that an injured Harvey could still get angry and blast the kid's head off. With the option that Batman chose, he not only risked Harvey's life and failed, as Batman is prone to do, but he risked his own to save Gordon's son from the fall. So with that in mind, I still think he came off as a hero in that instance.

Keep in mind, ideally, Batman should never kill. But I think there's a world of difference between failing to preserve life and actively seeking to destroy it, which is why Bruce can never be seen as some massacre-laden psychopath like The Punisher often is.

Baine needs to have been created by Rahs Al Ghul from one of their drugs.

The Clock King and the Red Baron...:o

Batman + Lightning/Rain + Wayne's Grave + Wally + Zimmer = ORGASM

**** Dude, I've been sharing this very image with everyone I encountered irl or on the internet, for years. I just got "inceptioned"

Catwoman stretched out on the Bat-pod or potential new vehicle
Bane breaking a wrangler on Batman's arm
Batman beating down Bane with a clear victory in the final fight
Some Bat-computer work
Batman being shot at by the police

- Good plot, acting, music, etc.
- Movie centered around Bruce/Batman like Begins was.
- Movie more towards superhero territory (Begins) than crime drama (TDK).
- More sentimentality like in Begins. Use the stethoscope music again.
- New Batsuit without any pads.
- Batcomputer scene with Bale in the suit but with his cowl pulled back like in the comics or NiteOwl in Watchmen.
- Fight scenes that dont suck.
- A good, deep ending without any gimmicks like Bruce dying or revealing his identity. I'd rather Nolan ends with some metatext about Batman always being there for Gotham or something along those lines.

Let's see... Better fight scenes (specially the Bane/Batman fight), flirty Bruce/Selina or Batman/Catwoman scenes done right, a scene where Bruce visits his parents at the cemetery, the villains are done justice but the focus is still primarily on Bruce and I want Nolan to give Bale some really, really challenging material to work with (let's take advantage of that Oscar BAMF winner!).

Batman getting his back broken and then Catwoman taking over the situation by being his replacement crimefighter doing things her own way in his absence.

I wouldn't mind seeing him return to Crime Alley, watching BB right now made me think of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"