The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that was the deal that Disney & Lucasfilm settled with Paramount regarding the Indiana Jones rights, so I suppose it is within the realm of possibility. Unlike FOX, however, Paramount wasn't getting new television rights, so their compensation had to come from somewhere else if they weren't getting a lump sum payment.

My guess if that Disney/Marvel got the FF rights free and clear, and any compromises Disney/Marvel made were in their % share of the X-Men TV rights. FOX was in a time crunch in regards to negotiations - they had to get production up and running in order to have the two shows ready for 2016 - whereas Disney/Marvel could afford to kick the can down the road indefinitely.

Having Universal remain a "partner" on the Hulk hasn't worked out well for the big green guy, so I can definitely see Disney/Marvel paying FOX to just go away.

Several good points. I hadn't thought of the timing for the TV show, but I suspect the expected revenue for the TV shows would be relatively small compared to the potential revenue from FF films in an integrated MCU, so Fox might be willing to be patient on that.

And there are likely some time constraints on Marvel's end as well. It may be a while before we see any FF characters, but Marvel is planning now for 2020 and the sooner they know what characters they have the sooner they can move forward with those plans. Also, I would expect the scripts and requirements for upcoming films (specifically Infinity Wars and maybe even Dr. Strange if they can work a Doom angle into the Occult themes) to shift depending on the characters Marvel will be able to use.

Hulk is definitely a mess, and I think both Fox and Marvel will learn from that. I think Marvel and Universal (and fans) would have benefited from a Hulk deal that encouraged rather than discouraged Hulk films.

That's part of what I was thinking when I put myself in Fox's position and came up with the hypothetical agreement I highlighted above. If I'm Fox, I'm going to go into any agreement with Marvel concerned that they could get around my conditions. For example, if Fox just got paid for FF films and there was no condition specifying how many films would be made, we'd probably never see another FF film and Marvel would just use the characters without making an actual stand alone FF film. So if I were Fox, I'd put some kind of requirement on how many films need to be made. As another example, if Fox gets paid every time one of their characters gets more than 10 minutes of screen time, I'd be willing to bet we'd see a lot of FF related characters getting exactly 9:59 minutes of screen time.

So Fox lawyers would be spending a lot of time thinking about how this might move forward and putting language in the contracts that protects their interest. On the other hand, if I were Marvel, I would be working make sure I had as much artistic freedom as possible so I didn't have one eye on the contract every time I wrote a scene.

The ideal agreement for both sides would give Marvel nearly complete freedom but also allow Fox to profit, along with Marvel, from Marvel's use of the FF related characters. But that ideal is much easier said than done.

Last edited:
In before the lock:

107qhsm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"