The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion & Speculation Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 120

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are three options here :

- This situation has happened before, and they found a way to incorporate it into the script thinking they had done it well, even if it wasn't the case.

- This situation happened, they couldn't find a way to have it make sense in the story, and dropped the idea or kept it in mind for a future film.

- This situation never ever ever happened before and you just think that's how those guys make their movies. That's the most plausible option to me.

You didn't really answer my question but fair enough. I'll take the last "option" as your "answer". You dont think that happens. That the studio/producers sometimes even directors butcher the story for more marketability/profitability.

Here are two examples where, in one they actually filmed the good version, where story and characters make sense etc and in second they had the story in the script and they decided and managed in the first one to ***** it up completely in the editing room and in the other luckily for us, film lovers, the director fought the studio of and they didn't manage to change the ending in to something more "marketable".

So if that happened after the movie was already filmed in one case and in the other after the brilliant script has been already written I am scared to think what happens in the pre production. Again, what David Goyer said studio exec told him after TDK premiere (DI CAPRIO AS THE RIDDLER !!!! and now you go and make it work !!!!!) comes to mind.

About Ridley Scotts Kingdom of Heaven

After the pitching of this film, studio marketing executives took it to be an action-adventure hybrid rather than what Ridley Scott and William Monahan intended it to be: a historical epic examining religious conflict. 20th Century Fox promoted the film as an action movie with heavy elements of romance and, in their advertising campaign, made much of the "From the Director of Gladiator" slogan. When Scott presented the 194-minute version of the film to the studio, they balked at the length. Studio head Tom Rothman ordered the film to be trimmed down to only two hours, as he did not believe that a modern audience would go to see a three-hour-and-fifteen-minute movie. Ultimately, Rothman's decision backfired, as the film gained mixed reviews (with many commenting that the film seemed "incomplete") and severely under-performed at the US box office.
The Director's Cut (DC) has received a distinctly more positive reception from film critics than the theatrical release, with some reviewers suggesting that it is the most substantial Director's Cut of all time[37] and a title to equal any of Scott's other works.,[38] offering a much greater insight into the motivations of individual characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Heaven_(film)#Extended_director.27s_cut

Here's an example where the director/main actor managed to fight off the studio and preserve the story

The ending of the film, with the head in the box, was originally part of an earlier screenplay that New Line had rejected, instead opting for an ending that involved more traditional elements of a detective thriller film with more action-oriented elements. Instead, when New Line sent Fincher the screenplay to review for his interest in the project, they accidentally had sent him the original screenplay with the head-in-the-box ending. Fincher was extremely interested in this version of the screenplay, as he thought it was more a "mediation on evil" rather than a "police procedural" that started the story, at which point New Line realized their mistake. Fincher met with New Line's President of Production, Michael De Luca, who noted that there was internal pressure to retain the revised screenplay; De Luca stated that if Fincher promised to produce the movie, they would be able to stay with the head-in-a-box ending.[3] Despite this, producer Kopelson refused to allow the film include the head-in-a-box scene.[4] Actor Pitt joined Fincher in arguing for keeping this original scene, citing how his previous film Legends of the Fall had its emotional ending cut after negative feedback from test audiences; he refused to do Seven unless the head-in-the-box scene remained.

At the beginning of a project, there's always a story / theme / concept (depending on which is thought of first).

Even for Michael Bay. He doesn't build a film around an idea of a chase sequence on a freeway. And if he did, he still wouldn't settle for a story that does not satisfy him from a storytelling point of view.

Making a movie takes away 2 or 3 years of your life (in the case of those big tentpole movies). You wouldn't want to waste them on a story that's not compelling, at least to you personnally.

By the way, I hate Michael Bay's movies.

PM: Your first big breakthrough was Bad Boys, just like it was for Sean Penn. Talk about that.

Michael Bay: Bad Boys was a very bad script I thought, let's face it.

The film's production was extremely grueling for Michael Bay due to script problems (Bay would later call the screenplay a "piece of ****")

Also Michael Bay in the Bad Boys DVD commentary:

“You could drive trucks through the logic of some of this script.”

Well if we take them at their word that they came up with the ending right after tdk, then it's highly unlikely they shot 2 endings.

He did.

One's in a café & the other is in a fancy restaurant

:o

In his interviews, has Nolan always said that he wanted to end "Bruce Wayne's story/journey" or was there a time when he said "[blackout]Batman's journey/story[/blackout]"? I never thought too much about it until now.

I remember in a few interviews were he stated he wanted to bring Bruce Wayne's story to a definitive conclusion.

He did.

One's in a café & the other is in a fancy restaurant

:o

Lol I don't click on spoiler tags at all these days but I've a feeling to what you said probably had to do with tea and sandwiches being enjoyed.

In his interviews, has Nolan always said that he wanted to end "Bruce Wayne's story/journey" or was there a time when he said "[blackout]Batman's journey/story[/blackout]"? I never thought too much about it until now.

His always said Bruce Wayne, which is tbh i think thats why the JGL next Batman theory has a leg to stand on.

On MTV awards he specifically said Bruce Wayne's story.

WaJui.jpg

Isn't this a manip? :huh:

Good god, that animated picture in the background of all the interviews would make for a sweet live wallpaper for my galaxy s3! :wow:

Btw, does anyone know where i can download a 1080p version of the journey trailer?

Nevermind...it's 8 days.

I'm way too excited.

Last edited:
This must end.

Shape and the other guy can keep mum, but this is the ending. I know they won't confirm it, but it's funny how so many people are bashing this ending without seeing it. It works brilliantly in the context of the film, with the music behind it. Even if you think it's a terrible idea right now, you will love it when you see it in the film.

in the first/2nd act of the film, Alfred tells Bruce about how disappointed he is in him for not letting go of his monster. Alfred feels like like he failed Bruce's parents because of the path his life took, and where he is now in his life.

He tells Bruce Wayne a story about how when he first left Gotham, Alfred would travel Europe and would always see a man in a cafe that looked like him but upon closer inspection, he was saddened to find out it was only a look like. Alfred always hoped that Bruce would be able to "rise out the darkness."

So at the end, Alfred is in Paris and finally sees Bruce Wayne at a cafe...He is happy to see him. But he notices there is a woman with him. He can;t see who it is, until Bruce Wayne gets up from the table and walks off....the woman turns around and its Selina Kyle

This scene is intercut with a sequence of John Robin Blake (as he is then known in the story) discovering the Batcave....the last shot is of the Batsuit rising up and blocking our view of John Blake

As you can see the scene has emotional pay off because it is built up throughout the entire film. It's as epic as you can imagine.

I won't read what you wrote. I don't need someone to tell me the ending. I need to see it in the movie. Period.

not again :rolleyes:

seriously, we need an autoban for bringing the same ***** that has been already argued to death here.

I have a feeling that this ending going around has some truth to it. I won't criticize it until I see it in context(assuming it's the truth).

This must end.

Shape and the other guy can keep mum, but this is the ending. I know they won't confirm it, but it's funny how so many people are bashing this ending without seeing it. It works brilliantly in the context of the film, with the music behind it. Even if you think it's a terrible idea right now, you will love it when you see it in the film.

in the first/2nd act of the film, Alfred tells Bruce about how disappointed he is in him for not letting go of his monster. Alfred feels like like he failed Bruce's parents because of the path his life took, and where he is now in his life.

He tells Bruce Wayne a story about how when he first left Gotham, Alfred would travel Europe and would always see a man in a cafe that looked like him but upon closer inspection, he was saddened to find out it was only a look like. Alfred always hoped that Bruce would be able to "rise out the darkness."

So at the end, Alfred is in Paris and finally sees Bruce Wayne at a cafe...He is happy to see him. But he notices there is a woman with him. He can;t see who it is, until Bruce Wayne gets up from the table and walks off....the woman turns around and its Selina Kyle

This scene is intercut with a sequence of John Robin Blake (as he is then known in the story) discovering the Batcave....the last shot is of the Batsuit rising up and blocking our view of John Blake

As you can see the scene has emotional pay off because it is built up throughout the entire film. It's as epic as you can imagine.

Not this again. A thread was ruined before.

This must end.

:dry::dry::dry::dry::dry:

I'm pretty sure the only two people on this forum that know the ending (except gill and maybe bosef) are Shape and Scoop. All this r2 crap is embarrassing.

Sorry folks, but I still don't understand that Nevincer was banned for a month over a stupid picture-mistake and that we have trolls coming in & arguing about "spoilers" that are most certainly false, trolls that don't get banned or at least not as quick..

I'm gonna stay away for a while.

I'm pretty sure the only two people on this forum that know the ending (except gill and maybe bosef) are Shape and Scoop. All this r2 crap is embarrassing.

Bosef said what the ending was back in December. It was very close to these spoilers we're seeing. Rag said the same thing.

JoeBudden = BecomeALegend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"