The Wolverine The 'The Wolverine' Box Office Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow!That would make my 70 million predict underwhelming.

This Is what happens when you get good buzz from reviews and early screenings

Hmmm I'm not really confident with these predictions the opening-weekend numbers. BoxOfficeMojo had 69 million prediction for the opening weekend of First Class, and First Class didn't even get at least 60 million.

I think the film will get 40 to 60 million.

Yeah but first class didn't have hugh jackman headlining it.And promationn for the wolverine while late has been better than first class.

I'm still not confident that this movie will almost get the same box-office numbers of the first Wolverine movie. Its not a sequel to Wolverine 1 and First Class. Its obviously another X-Men spin-off movie. Besides Hugh Jackman/Famke Jannsen, the cast is all new to this franchise and people's eyes.

Though I do think The Wolverine will have stronger legs at the box-office.

$700m is a pipedream. I could see $400-$450m.

The Wrap:

Hugh Jackman's 'The Wolverine' to Stop the Bleeding at the Box Office

Fox's "X-Men" superhero sequel is the weekend's lone wide opener and could hit $75M
Published: July 25, 2013 @ 12:18 pm
By Todd Cunningham

Fox's Hugh Jackman superhero sequel “The Wolverine” is a lock to win the box office this weekend in the $75 milion range, snaping a four-week run of high-priced summer flops. The only question: how high it will go?

Since Brad Pitt’s “World War Z” opened to a surprisingly strong $66 million on June 21, pricey blockbuster-wannabes “White House Down,” “The Lone Ranger,” “Pacific Rim” and "R.I.P.D.” have all tnked in successive weeks.

So why will “The Wolverine,” which was converted to 3D and has a production budget of $115 million, succeed where they failed?

For one thing, as the only wide opener in a market-high 3,924 theaters, it will have the field largely to itself when it opens with late Thursday night showings. Last week’s No. 1 movie, the low-budget horror film “The Conjuring,” is the likely runner-up, but it’s looking at a three-day total in the $20 million range.

Fox President of Distribution Chris Aronson was about $10 million less bullish than the analysts, but he was confident.

“We’re set up with a relatively clear weekend, and that’s precious in the summer time,” he told TheWrap, “and it doesn't hurt that this is a really good movie.”

Thanks to large part to Jackman, last seen on screen in "Les Miserables" as as Jean Valjean, "The Wolverine" should play well beyond Marvel Comics fans, of which there are plenty. (Jackman had a scene in "Movie 43," but no one saw that.)

This time the X-Man lands in Japan, where he encounters a crime syndicate and an old flame in Jean Grey (Famke Janssen).

Unlike the recent misfires, it’s a sequel -- the sixth in the X-Men film series -- and follows the events of 2006's "X-Men: The Last Stand."

“X-Men Origins: Wolverine” opened to $85 million and went on to take in nearly $375 million worldwide in 2009. The new movie may not match the debut or domestic numbers of that one, but it should do better overseas. It's opening in most foreign countries this weekend, in Japan on Sept. 13 and in China once it gets a date.

The reviews are strong, particularly for a comic book movie, and it has a 74 percent positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Of the recent misses, only “Pacific Rim” at 72 percent was over 50 percent. And as of Thursday morning, it was accounting for more than half the sales at online ticket broker Fandango.

The PG-13-rated superhero saga is departure for director James Mangold, who is coming off the Western “3:10 to Yuma” and the comedy “Knight and Day.” Darren Aronofsky was originally set to direct back in 2010, but he left the project. Production was further delayed by 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami off the coast of Japan, where it was filming.

Mangold adapted Frank Miller and Chris Claremont’s1982 limited series "Wolverine" with screenwriters Chris McQuarrie Scott Frank and Mark Bomback. Lauren Schuler Donner produced, along with Jackman.
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/hugh-jackmans-wolverine-will-end-run-box-office-flops-105731

Wow, that's a small budget. This film is a guaranteed hit.

I'm still not confident that this movie will almost get the same box-office numbers of the first Wolverine movie. Its not a sequel to Wolverine 1 and First Class. Its obviously another X-Men spin-off movie. Besides Hugh Jackman/Famke Jannsen, the cast is all new to this franchise and people's eyes.

Though I do think The Wolverine will have stronger legs at the box-office.

My thoughts exactly

Hmm. The Wrap says there that the budget is $115m, however LA Times are saying that this had an utterly shocking $200m+ budget.

They updated their article.

In “The Wolverine,” which cost at least $120 million to produce

Fox will release the budget Sunday, and BoxOfficeMojo will have it.

Well LATimes was probally wrong.There had been reports of it being 100 Million+

Cauterizing Hollywood’s streak of big-budget bleeding at the box office, Fox’s “The Wolverine” should score one of the best three-day openings this summer, tracking between $75 million and $80 million through Sunday.
If the film lands at the high end of tracking, the latest installment from Marvel’s “X-Men” franchise — which doesn’t use the “X-Men” name anywhere — would rival some of the best openings from the property’s previous pics, though some observers are more cautious, citing expectations closer to $70 million.
Either way, “Wolverine,” which cost just under $120 million to produce, will be a welcome shift from the recent misfire mania that included “White House Down,” “The Lone Ranger,” “Pacific Rim” and “R.I.P.D.” last weekend. Fox pic launches launches Friday at 3,924 theaters.

http://variety.com/2013/film/box-of...with-one-of-summers-best-openings-1200568188/

I hope it opens big, it deserves it.

The fact that I haven't had to infract anyone yet for fighting over it is already a good sign...

They updated their article.

In “The Wolverine,” which cost at least $120 million to produce

Fox will release the budget Sunday, and BoxOfficeMojo will have it.

That is about the same budget as Marvel's Phase I solo movies like Thor and Capt. America, right? I think with a reasonable budget like this, it shouldn't be hard to make a good profit. I think Wolverine 3 will probably be greenlighted after this weekend.

3,924 theaters - A RECORD FOR AN X-MEN FILM!

And $115 million budget! WOAH! FOX is totally gonna get their budget even if the film under-performs at domestic box-office. Anything over 325 million worldwide is a guaranteed success.

I can see it doinf about 165-170M domestically and reaching 290-300M foreign.
So, 455-470M WW.

Crowd report:
The theater I saw the movie in at 10pm on Thursday night was about 60% full. Generally all under the age of 35. There was like one 3D screening going on that night there besides the 2D one.

Bodes well I think:

North America: 'The Wolverine' Is Outpacing 'X-Men: First Class' On Fandango
on July 25, 2013

Fandango reports that The Wolverine is outpacing 2011's X-Men: First Class by an impressive 39% margin at the same point in the sales cycle. First Class debuted to a healthy $55 million in June 2011, so the strong sales bode well for The Wolverine. Hugh Jackman's latest take on the iconic character also accounts for 51% of daily sales on Fandango.

A Fandango survey of 1,000 Wolverine ticket buyers reveals the following:

91% have seen the previous X-Men and Wolverine movies

73% would not want to see a Wolverine film without Hugh Jackman in the title role

70% say the exotic setting has increased their interest in seeing the movie

A whopping 95% cannot wait to see the follow-up film, X-Men: Days of Future Past

Check back tomorrow morning to see how much the film rakes in from Thursday evening shows.
http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-new...ne-is-outpacing-x-men-first-class-on-fandango

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"