BvS The Unabashed SPOILER Thread. ENTER AT OWN RISK. - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just disgusting and so out of character by Lex in an attempt to be "dark".

I was more disgusted by Lex's threats against Martha than I was by this. I was also disgusted by his wanton readiness to murder anyone that got in his way and by his recklessness in creating Doomsday who would not only kill Superman, but potentially everyone on the planet.

Sure, his "peach tea" was juvenile, but this version of Lex is young and arrogant. I don't think it was so terribly out of character.

Heck, I had more of an issue with the practicality of it. Did no-one sitting at the table / desk smell it? Did no-one think it was odd that everyone else had standard drinking glasses with water inside while the senator had an old jam jar with something that was definitely not water. And how did the senator sit down without seeing it right in front of her?

I was more disgusted by Lex's threats against Martha than I was by this. I was also disgusted by his wanton readiness to murder anyone that got in his way and by his recklessness in creating Doomsday who would not only kill Superman, but potentially everyone on the planet.

Sure, his "peach tea" was juvenile, but this version of Lex is young and arrogant. I don't think it was so terribly out of character.

Heck, I had more of an issue with the practicality of it. Did no-one sitting at the table / desk smell it? Did no-one think it was odd that everyone else had standard drinking glasses with water inside while the senator had an old jam jar with something that was definitely not water. And how did the senator sit down without seeing it right in front of her?

I think they all came in and just sat down...that when she noticed it

I mean, it could just be actual Peach Tea. Nobody tasted it to find out.

I'm sure Clark's super senses woulda had him ask who peed if it were.

I actually had assumed it was just tea. It wasn't until this thread that the thought of it being urine even occurred to me. If that's actually the case, they don't go out of their way to show it.

"You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."

If you pay attention this is Batman's arc in the movie. In fact the very first scene of the movie....little Bruce running away from the funeral...stumbling...falling into the bat cave....then being lifted into the sun...give this away.

Just got back from the early showing.

Yeah I was optimistic before the film, cautiously, but optimistic. I was right to be cautious because this was really hard to watch.

Problem with this film is clearly Snyder. He is an "artist", he makes a damn good visual, but he is not a storyteller. The first half of the film felt overly long and dragged like hell. Soon as they got to the good stuff, it felt rushed and complicated.

Plotwise, too much was going on and although there's logical explanations for everything, you weren't given a moment to digest what was happening before Snyder plowed on ahead to the next thing. You could tell that this film was rewritten . It felt "patched up" as if someone took the original script and just filled in all the plotholes, but really didn't try to make it a coherent story.

Acting was very good from Affleck and Gadot. Cavill was Cavill, although slightly better here than in MoS. Eisenberg I am kind of divided on. He's a great actor, but I didn't like this portrayal of Lex, although I didn't think Lex's character was written poorly. Lex always seems more calculating scientist than mad genius to me anyway so maybe that's it. Didn't care for Jeremy Irons as Alfred. Everyone else (Adams, Fishburne, Hunter, etc) was passable, but not memorable.

Batman was truly the lead character, which I felt wasn't right. Superman I felt the film makers didn't know what to do with him. Wonder Woman wasn't on screen enough.

All in all, it is earning the scores its getting from RT.

Yeah I was optimistic before the film, cautiously, but optimistic. I was right to be cautious because this was really hard to watch.

Problem with this film is clearly Snyder. He is an "artist", he makes a damn good visual, but he is not a storyteller. The first half of the film felt overly long and dragged like hell. Soon as they got to the good stuff, it felt rushed and complicated.

Plotwise, too much was going on and although there's logical explanations for everything, you weren't given a moment to digest what was happening before Snyder plowed on ahead to the next thing. You could tell that this film was rewritten . It felt "patched up" as if someone took the original script and just filled in all the plotholes, but really didn't try to make it a coherent story.

Acting was very good from Affleck and Gadot. Cavill was Cavill, although slightly better here than in MoS. Eisenberg I am kind of divided on. He's a great actor, but I didn't like this portrayal of Lex, although I didn't think Lex's character was written poorly. Lex always seems more calculating scientist than mad genius to me anyway so maybe that's it. Didn't care for Jeremy Irons as Alfred. Everyone else (Adams, Fishburne, Hunter, etc) was passable, but not memorable.

Batman was truly the lead character, which I felt wasn't right. Superman I felt the film makers didn't know what to do with him. Wonder Woman wasn't on screen enough.

So, Terrio's the problem?

So, Terrio's the problem?

No this is on Snyder. Snyder is the director. It's his film. I think he's more interested in making a visual marvel than telling a coherent story. Whatever Terrio did to Goyer's script didn't save the script and Snyder should have saw that. Terrio can only do so much, ultimately the director is the person telling the story that the writer put together.

So in my opinion, Snyder doesn't have the right vision for the DCEU. In the right hands, it's amazing, but I'm afraid Snyder is just not the right fit.

No this is on Snyder. Snyder is the director. It's his film. I think he's more interested in making a visual marvel than telling a coherent story. Whatever Terrio did to Goyer's script didn't save the script and Snyder should have saw that. Terrio can only do so much, ultimately the director is the person telling the story that the writer put together.

So in my opinion, Snyder doesn't have the right vision for the DCEU. In the right hands, it's amazing, but I'm afraid Snyder is just not the right fit.

I think a smarter director would've streamlined the story and cut out some extraneous points. A simpler tale would've been more effective.

The Scoot McNairy character felt unnecessary in the end and I actually think the fake leaked script where Lex used a Batman gadget to set off Superman's powers would've more effectively set the stage for the final battle, as both heroes would've assumed the other was responsible for loss of life.

So it's more like at the end of Rises where he obliterates the truck Talia was driving?

If I even remember that right, I saw the movie once.

No he kills people. He also chooses to brand certain types of criminals which is a death sentence when they go to prison. He kills.

You were right to be cautious going in. Would you say that this was a Batman film with Superman at the center of it?

You were right to be cautious going in. Would you say that this was a Batman film with Superman at the center of it?

Definitely. This was a Batman vs. Lex Luthor film with Superman providing the spark between the two. Even though most of the film takes place in Metropolis and has mostly Superman characters, Superman's ruin was the goal of the movie, and as Lex and Bats were the main ones after that goal, that makes it their movie. Superman takes center stage towards the end during the final battle, but ultimately its not his movie at all.

Definitely. This was a Batman vs. Lex Luthor film with Superman providing the spark between the two. Even though most of the film takes place in Metropolis and has mostly Superman characters, Superman's ruin was the goal of the movie, and as Lex and Bats were the main ones after that goal, that makes it their movie. Superman takes center stage towards the end during the final battle, but ultimately its not his movie at all.

Yeah, exactly what I thought all along.

It was clear who their favorite characters are and they happen to be billionaires. Lex Luthor is supposed to be Superman's arch-enemy. Did they connect Superman with Lex well here?

So another divisive DC movie? Love it. These movies make you think, they spark great debate and they're visual wonders. I personally was in awe throughout the movie, enjoyed it quite a bit. 8.5-9/10 for me. More than 1100 throughout the day in this section of the forums, keep this conversation alive folks. :up:

So another divisive DC movie? Love it. These movies make you think, they spark great debate and they're visual wonders. I personally was in awe throughout the movie, enjoyed it quite a bit. 8.5-9/10 for me. More than 1100 throughout the day in this section of the forums, keep this conversation alive folks. :up:

When it comes to these icons on the screen, yeah it will spark a lot of divisiveness. I expect these to continue through the next few months.

Yeah, exactly what I thought all along.

It was clear who their favorite characters are and they happen to be billionaires. Lex Luthor is supposed to be Superman's arch-enemy. Did they connect Superman with Lex well here?

Not really. Lex had his moment with Superman after threatening Lois first, then of course his mother. He had it out for Superman, but Superman didn't see to really care about Lex until the end. Instead, they gave Superman/Clark this whole storyline of being angry at the "Bat Vigiilante" to being overly brutal to criminals and then Congress being upset at him for what reason....I have no idea. It all felt like they just had to give him something to do in the movie until it was time to fight Batman and Doomsday. Supes was a total afterthought in this film. Lex and Bats are smartly written, geniuses, plotting and planning and calculating things out. Supes just seems to be along for the ride.

But even in his final scene, Lex is being tormented (either in reality or in a dream, it was hard to say) by Batman. It's ridiculous.

Yeah the more I think about the Lex character, the more I don't like him.

When it comes to these icons on the screen, yeah it will spark a lot of divisiveness. I expect these to continue through the next few months.
Yeah, this was never going to be a perfect movie. I enjoyed it though and for the most part, like what they're setting up with this universe. It's a lot to look forward to, maybe there'll be some gems coming up with the solo films and such.

I like conversation too (I'd rate the film a 5/10), but wished I was conversing about how awesome the film was and how well everything came together. Ultimately I think WB needs to move away from Synder as the director/helmer of the DCEU. Snyder is a visual master, the man is a genius when it comes to the look of a film. But the story suffers from it. They can keep the darker tone and themes and action, all of that is fine, but we just need better stories.

Batman and Superman uniting over their mother's having the same name is one of the worst written exchanges I've ever seen in a movie.

Not really. Lex had his moment with Superman after threatening Lois first, then of course his mother. He had it out for Superman, but Superman didn't see to really care about Lex until the end. Instead, they gave Superman/Clark this whole storyline of being angry at the "Bat Vigiilante" to being overly brutal to criminals and then Congress being upset at him for what reason....I have no idea. It all felt like they just had to give him something to do in the movie until it was time to fight Batman and Doomsday. Supes was a total afterthought in this film. Lex and Bats are smartly written, geniuses, plotting and planning and calculating things out. Supes just seems to be along for the ride.

But even in his final scene, Lex is being tormented (either in reality or in a dream, it was hard to say) by Batman. It's ridiculous.

Yeah the more I think about the Lex character, the more I don't like him.

I guess Smallville had the best portrayal of the Clark/ Lex relationship.

I heard comments about Lex in BvS that he's trying to be like the Joker.

Because of all this, I am very concerned about the Justice League film and what place Superman will have in this. I've talked to a few people here and I've said that they've back themselves into a corner when they killed him off in the end. At what point in JL will he be resurrected or will he return in the WW solo film.

Last edited:
Man..after reading a lot about this movie, peoples opinions and stuff...I can't help but think about TASM2 again. There is so many similarities.

Batman and Superman uniting over their mother's having the same name is one of the worst written exchanges I've ever seen in a movie.

I've said it was unique, but yet I find it funny as well. What are they going to do?! Compare notes about their mothers?

It was just horrible and painful. But I wish that was the worst thing in the film, I could have lived with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"