Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
By my father's beard! Is that... Is that a helm upon the noble brow of the Scion of Asgard? And... And yet it has been crafted that one may see his impressive visage as clear as a new sunrise? but... WE WERE TOLD THIS WAS IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Now, if only he could use it in the movie...It would be perfect.

Now, if only he could use it in the movie...It would be perfect.

It's going to be hard to NOT have another round of HELMETGATE debates here now that an official likeness of Chris H. as Thor with the headgear on has been released. I don't know why it's not seen by so many as something that can be done on screen? I don't expect it to be on his head the entire run of the film. In the comics it's always being knocked off him. In THOR I think he should have worn it to the Frost Giant's kingdom in the early part of the film at least. Some giant can slap it off his head, and then Thor could've smacked the giant upside the head with a hammer strike. He would have still been without something covering his head for most of the movie because that's the "I'm physically a mortal" part of the film. Oh well. If there is a chance to see him a couple of times in action with his wings on in DARK WORLD I'll take it.

It's going to be hard to NOT have another round of HELMETGATE debates here now that an official likeness of Chris H. as Thor with the headgear on has been released. I don't know why it's not seen by so many as something that can be done on screen? I don't expect it to be on his head the entire run of the film. In the comics it's always being knocked off him. In THOR I think he should have worn it to the Frost Giant's kingdom in the early part of the film at least. Some giant can slap it off his head, and then Thor could've smacked the giant upside the head with a hammer strike. He would have still been without something covering his head for most of the movie because that's the "I'm physically a mortal" part of the film. Oh well. If there is a chance to see him a couple of times in action with his wings on in DARK WORLD I'll take it.

Agreed. Hell, I would be happy if he even used it in a possible ceremonial occasion again.:yay:

Agreed. Hell, I would be happy if he even used it in a possible ceremonial occasion again.:yay:

If there is some kind of ceremony for the opening of Avenger's Tower then the Thunder God better have his helm with him. Seeing Stark raz him about it would be worth it alone.

I guess Loki gets his crown back at some point .....

tumblr_mq48p9NcaW1rci1ivo1_1280.jpg

That would be nice to see, actually.:up:

STARK: (walking around glad handing the guests around the Tower penthouse, walks up to Thor) "You got enough, uh, mead there Goldilocks? Hey... Does Cap know you stole his fluffy feathers off his head? "

Last edited:
Check the length of his hair peeking out from under his helm. I think it's a shot from the first film.

Ya, I was just looking at that too .... plus the design is different from the one he wore in The Avengers.

OK pack it up guys. Cherokee has declared Malekith forgettable already, 4 months before the movie's release.

News flash: "not memorable" =/= "forgettable."

Sorry if you were hoping that Malekith was going to be an imposing, intense villain like Joker, Zod, Loki, Magneto, or Goblin. I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Sorry if you were hoping that Malekith was going to be an imposing, intense villain like Joker, Zod, Loki, Magneto, or Goblin. I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

But why would you say this without having seen him in the film and his performance?

tumblr_mq5nsgQqwg1sn6a30o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mq56lm1uwG1r59j8oo1_1280.jpg

Now all we need is a trailer confirming that he will indeed be wearing his helmet!!

tumblr_mq5nsgQqwg1sn6a30o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mq56lm1uwG1r59j8oo1_1280.jpg

Now all we need is a trailer confirming that he will indeed be wearing his helmet!!

If he's wearing his helmet for more than 5 minutes in DARK WORLD I know that I must have been a good boy this past year, cuz I asked Santa for a kickass and emotional Superman movie. Check. Now if Thor has his wings we can confirm the existence of Santa Clause... AND THEN WE CAN DESTROY HIM! BWAHAHAHAHA!

But why would you say this without having seen him in the film and his performance?

I'm not saying that based on Eccleston's performance, obviously. I'm sure he'll do fine in the role, even if he downplays his own role and performance in interviews. I'm saying that based on Malekith's actual role in the Marvel Comics universe and the cinematic one. Malekith is a very minor Thor villain (talking importance here, not power levels, so no e-peening "my villain is more powerful than *your* villain" dick-measuring here). His primary role in the comics is to set up the fan-favorite Twilight Sword saga, which sets up a more popular, more powerful, more frightening and more effective Thor villain: Surtur. That's most likely going to be the case in the MCU as well.

Plus, Thor is not going to focus all his attention on one villain. Malekith is one of many problems Thor faces in this movie. There's also Kurse (Kurse is *not* on the same page as Malekith, and in fact battles him in the comics); Loki; The Marauders; a possible love triangle with Jane and Sif; more family issues with Daddy, Mommy, and Lil Brother. And that's just the ones we know about....there's probably other conflicts that have yet to be revealed. The "main villain" of the movie is *not* going to be Malekith, but the "dark ancient force" he's summoning, and which lends the movie its title. Comic-book canon says that's Surtur; could be Thanos; could be Chthon; could be something else. In any event, it's about a much greater threat. Malekith is just a harbinger.

Pretty sure the definition of forgettable is that something isn't memorable. Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, though.

I'm not saying that based on Eccleston's performance, obviously. I'm sure he'll do fine in the role, even if he downplays his own role and performance in interviews. I'm saying that based on Malekith's actual role in the Marvel Comics universe and the cinematic one. Malekith is a very minor Thor villain (talking importance here, not power levels, so no e-peening "my villain is more powerful than *your* villain" dick-measuring here). His primary role in the comics is to set up the fan-favorite Twilight Sword saga, which sets up a more popular, more powerful, more frightening and more effective Thor villain: Surtur. That's most likely going to be the case in the MCU as well.

Plus, Thor is not going to focus all his attention on one villain. Malekith is one of many problems Thor faces in this movie. There's also Kurse (Kurse is *not* on the same page as Malekith, and in fact battles him in the comics); Loki; The Marauders; a possible love triangle with Jane and Sif; more family issues with Daddy, Mommy, and Lil Brother. And that's just the ones we know about....there's probably other conflicts that have yet to be revealed. The "main villain" of the movie is *not* going to be Malekith, but the "dark ancient force" he's summoning, and which lends the movie its title. Comic-book canon says that's Surtur; could be Thanos; could be Chthon; could be something else. In any event, it's about a much greater threat. Malekith is just a harbinger.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "main villain." If you mean driving force, yes, I think you're right that Surtur or Thanos is behind Malekith's actions. If you mean main antagonist of the movie, though, I don't see how you can make this claim, especially with such certainty. Seems pretty clear that Malekith and his scheme is going to be Thor's focus in this movie. If you're waiting on Surtur to show up and battle it out with Thor, I think you're the one who's going to be disappointed.

I have got to stop thinking Skyrim whenever I see Asgardians and Asgardian things from the movie. >_< I'll be saying that Loki's motivations are because someone stole his sweet roll.

Pretty sure the definition of forgettable is that something isn't memorable. Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, though.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "main villain." If you mean driving force, yes, I think you're right that Surtur or Thanos is behind Malekith's actions. If you mean main antagonist of the movie, though, I don't see how you can make this claim, especially with such certainty. Seems pretty clear that Malekith and his scheme is going to be Thor's focus in this movie. If you're waiting on Surtur to show up and battle it out with Thor, I think you're the one who's going to be disappointed.

No, I don't think Surtur (or Thanos) is going to show up and dominate the movie. I'm pretty sure that the "dark ancient force" Malekith is summoning is a setup for either Thor 3 or Avengers 2 (the latter more likely, imho). What I *am* saying is that Thor vs. Malekith isn't going to be the focus of this movie, in the sense of a Batman vs. Joker or Spider-Man vs. Gobby or Cap vs. Red Skull. Thor has a lot on his plate, and he'll have several fires to put out, Malekith just being the climactic one.

No, I don't think Surtur (or Thanos) is going to show up and dominate the movie. I'm pretty sure that the "dark ancient force" Malekith is summoning is a setup for either Thor 3 or Avengers 2 (the latter more likely, imho). What I *am* saying is that Thor vs. Malekith isn't going to be the focus of this movie, in the sense of a Batman vs. Joker or Spider-Man vs. Gobby or Cap vs. Red Skull. Thor has a lot on his plate, and he'll have several fires to put out, Malekith just being the climactic one.

I agree with the first part. I think Malekith's actions are setting up the A2 storyline (or maybe T3).

I'm not sure I get what you're saying in the second half. If Thor vs. Malekith is the climax, why wouldn't Malekith be the focus of the events leading up to the climax? I know there's the Marauder fight in the beginning and the inevitable Thor/Jane/Sif stuff, but from everything we've seen, Malekith is involved in every step along the way. He's got a fight on Asgard, he's got a fight on Earth, he's shown on another world messing up Jane, etc. If anything, I think Kurse's role is the one getting marginalized by Malekith's centric story in TDW.

Personally, Eccleston plays a fun baddie. I don't know what Cherokee is mumbling about as far as trying to lower our expectations as to Malekith's involvement. I don't think there's one person on this board who's been sitting there beating the drum about some Heath Ledger style performance. Why even bring that comparison up?

So far Loki is the only villain in the entire MCU who's been fleshed out the way he has (with Thanos soon to follow) so people would be crazy to assume some legendary portrayal.

Last edited:
Looks like the helmet has been modified a bit from the first film.

Like I keep saying, Thor was never actually KING before he was banished, so, with Loki in the dungeons Thor is Crowned king. I'm SURE we'll see him in the "crown" at some point.
ya found a bigger picture
2tgf.png

does this mean he may wear the helmet this time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"