Thor: Ragnarok Box Office Prediction - Part 1

I think it being released in late October/early November helped since there was much less competition (especially with JL bombing) and it had Thanksgiving weekend to help it.

Yep, and not forgetting that it was a genuinely good film that has a high rewatchability factor and garnered great word of mouth.

T:R still has roughly $200K left in the domestic tank, but wherever it winds up exactly, it will be finishing with a 2.57 multiplier.

As you may expect, this is easily the best multiplier result for any of the 3 MCU trilogy finales (IM3 - 2.35, CA:CW - 2.28).

This multiplier also bests 3 of the 5 MCU 1st sequels (TDW - 2.4, AoU - 2.4, IM2 - 2.44), as well as The Incredible Hulk (2.45).

:thor:

Nice! It deserves it!

:jd: $315M domestic as of Friday! And they said it couldn't be done! :mnm:

:jd: $315M domestic as of Friday! And they said it couldn't be done! :mnm:
xWk95.gif

Just in time. Ended its domestic run on Thursday with a final total of $315,058,289.

Worldwide it's at $854,252,693. Might add a little more to that OS, but nothing significant. It had a very nice run. Passed both big milestones I was hoping it would before it opened($300M DOM and $500M OS)

I know several websites are showing that it's finished, but it's apparently still playing in a theater near me:

http://pollacktempecinemas.com/movie-category/now-playing/

It was certainly still making enough to play another week and maybe make $40K more. I'm not sure which websites are in error.
In box office terms, when a movie "ends its run", that doesn't necessarily mean that it has stopped playing at every single theater. It really just means the distributor decided to stop tracking/reporting its numbers. It may still be playing at a handful of theaters, but it doesn't have any significant amount left in it anyway and it isn't close to hitting any milestones either.

Variety
‘Thor: Ragnarok’ Surges to Top DVD, Blu-ray Disc Sales Charts

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment again claimed the top spot on the national home video sales charts the week ended March 10, this time with “Thor: Ragnarok,” while five other newcomers also found their way into the overall top 20.

The latest hit superhero film from the powerhouse Marvel Studios unit had earned $315 million at the domestic box office before debuting at No. 1 on the NPD VideoScan overall disc sales chart, which tracks combined DVD and Blu-ray Disc Unit sales, and the dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart.

The arrival of “Thor:Ragnarok” pushed Disney’s “Coco,” from the Pixar Animation Studio, to No. 2 on both charts after it had debuted on top the week before. “Coco” sold about 39% as many units as “Thor: Ragnarok” during the week.

Dropping a slot to No. 3, also on both charts, was 20th Century Fox’s “Murder on the Orient Express” remake.

Among the other debuting titles, Blu-ray accounted for 83% of unit sales for “Thor: Ragnarok,” which saw 11% of its total come from UHD Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"